Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Helicopters!
You need a new amp.

Possible to service a solid-state amp?

I recently acquired a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 and although I love it, some of the pots are a little scratchy and the sound sometimes cuts out. Additionally, the chorus effect doesn't work. Is there a way I can get any of this fixed or am I stuck with what I've got?

UPDATE: The chorus is somehow now working. Go figure. It seems that one of the speakers was cutting out and that was interfering with the chorus effect, but now both speakers are working and the chorus works just fine.

Last edited by Helicopters! : 11-19-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Helicopters! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Have you tried contact cleaner on the pots and making sure the speakers are wired properly? Most techs charge a bench fee($40avg around Cleveland), is that amp worth that much to you?
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopters!
I recently acquired a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 and although I love it, some of the pots are a little scratchy and the sound sometimes cuts out. Additionally, the chorus effect doesn't work. Is there a way I can get any of this fixed or am I stuck with what I've got?

the pots are easily replaceable. before you go about trying to replace them, try to work out the dust/dirt in them first.

pots are usually scratchy cuz there is 'crap' in it, if you take the knob and twist it for 0 to 10 (like 50 times or so) you can sometimes work out crap trapped in there. can't remember if popping some electronics cleaner in there will help you out. i wanna say it will.

actually replacing all the pots may be a bit more expensive than it is worth for you if you can't replace them yourself. if you know how to solder and are a bit savvy it may be worth your time.

i wish i could help ya on the chorus, there could be a number of things wrong with it.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
ghobby

Yeah try a bit of contact cleaner, or wd40 works to. Spray a bit under the knob and twist the pot back and forth. If you can solder you can change the pots out, takes a bit of time but not too bad.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghobby
Yeah try a bit of contact cleaner, or wd40 works to. Spray a bit under the knob and twist the pot back and forth. If you can solder you can change the pots out, takes a bit of time but not too bad.

Do not use WD40 on electronics. It eventually becomes gummy and will attract dust. Bad.

If you find the need to clean a potentiometer, then I recommend a product by Caig called CaiLube MCL. It comes in a small spray can, just like WD40, but is designed for cleaning and relubricating potentiometers.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Cleaning pots is a stopgap measure at best. Replacing them is the proper way to do it.
It will have PCB mounted pots though so changing them will mean removing the board so don't tackle it unless you know what you are doing.

The chorus could be anything. Paying a tech to diagnose the fault will almost certainly cost more than the amp is worth.

Bottom line, unless you are capable of fixing it yourself it could very easily end up costing more to fix it than it's worth. So by the sounds of it - don't bother unless you get it really, really cheap and just want to play technician and need a project to learn on. With care you may be able to replace the pots yourself but I'd write the chorus off.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Helicopters!
You need a new amp.

I got the amp in a trade. I'll try contact cleaner and if that doesn't resolve the issue I'll settle. The chorus I can live without. Thanks for the advice, all!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

There should be a little gap in the pot housing just next to the pins. Spray some contact cleaner in there and then twist the knob a few times. You'll need to use the little tube that comes with the cleaner to get it in there. See, you need tubes.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Dick Foster

I would not suggest WD40 to clean electronics. I love the stuff for working on my car but have never used it for that purpose.

Electrical contact cleaner is easy enough to get and it's made specifically for the purpose. Most of it is also plastic safe so other nearby parts that are common on PC boards would not be ruined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghobby
Dick Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

For sure. Buy proper contact cleaner. Deoxit is a good one but any proper contact cleaner will do the deed - not WD40. Long term, WD40 will just make it worse.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

WD40 is one of those rumors that is so stupid for the informed but so dangerous for the un-informed. Talk about a successful troll.

To the TS- find the pot values of the scratchy ones when you open it up and search them on google and Ebay. Chances are you can find them for 2-3 a piece. If they are like crate and are only made for the OE then you may have to call Peavey. You can always post a picture in here and ask.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Helicopters!
You need a new amp.

I will definitely invest in real contact cleaner as opposed to WD-40. Also, Cath: I have nothing against tubes, but I got the opportunity to trade up and the clean channel on this amp just sounded too good to pass up.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
Ian_the_fox
Banned

What year is it?

The chorus and effects only work if you have the footswitch. If it's a more recent SC than finding a FS shouldn't be that hard, but if it's an older one like mine (I have the head version), you're shit outta luck.

The best temporary fix is to jumper the two holes that trigger the chorus effect in the footswitch jack in the back using the footswitch schematics as a reference.

I used wires I stripped from computer mouse cable as a jumper. Here's the schem for the footswitch so you can see what does what: http://music-electronics-forum.com/...pedalwiring.pdf
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Helicopters!
You need a new amp.

Oh I've got a footswitch. The chorus doesn't engage when I toggle the switch. The LED comes on but even with the effect level maxed out there's no change.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Are both speakers working properly? Realize it's true stereo chorus (as in one speaker modulated, the other dry), so it won't give the effect in mono.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
Helicopters!
You need a new amp.

Is there a way to check other than trying to pick out each speaker by ear?

Rate This Thread: