Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Forum User
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Recently purchased guitar problems

Hey UG,

Last December I bought an Ibanez Rg 321EX.
Shortly after my purchase I returned the guitar with complains of a certain *twang* sound on the g and b strings mainly when playing around the 7th to 12th frets and an extremely loose jack, which keeps comes loose every jam. (I do wrap the lead around the strap appropriately to avoid tugging on the jack)

Since then I have noticed a few hairline cracks on the first fret and a concerning creak coming from somewhere in the same vicinity when bending (any strings)

I have been playing guitar for almost 10 years on and off and own 3 guitars to date, all my equipment is properly maintained and kept secure, and conditioned regularly.

What could cause these hair line cracks on the fretboard? Could this have been my fault?

is the creak related?
also the *twang* sound related?

The tech at the shop said the twang was either my amp, need a new set of strings, or my cables. He didn't try replicate the issue in store.

first and foremost. Are these cracks detrimental to the playability of my guitar? will they affect the guitar in any way? such as causing further damage or the cracks getting larger?

and lastly, please give me your opinions on how I should handle this matter, Should i request a replacement, an exchange, or is this fixable without too much grief?

Thankyou for your time UG
Forum User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
B&J
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
What kinda neck are we talking about here? Rosewood? Maple? Rosewood tends to crack after a while if you dont treat it well. You so you do treat it well so i supposse its not that. Can you make a picture?

The twangy sound (taking it ur not playing a telecaster) do you mean like a wolf tone? (sitar kinda sound) this would be a problem with ur action or the string has too much room at the nut. Since you have new strings i guess, i'm not gonna say its the strings. Cuz 9 out of the 10 times its the strings.
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Forum User
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Neck
Neck type:
2007-2010: Wizard II
2011: Wizard III
Neck material:
3-Piece Maple
Fingerboard:
Bound Rosewood
Inlays:
Pearl Dots
Frets:
24 / Jumbo

Its hard to describe the twang, The G string sounds off key and dull when played open and sounds slightly out of tune playing around the 7-12th frets even when in tune.

I dont have a camera capable of displaying the cracks but they are all around 25mm in length , and on the first fret. The rest of the fretboard looks mint.

The twang is not so concerning, at this point I am more concerned about the cracks.
Forum User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
B&J
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
i supposse the cracks are on your fingerboard, which is rosewood? how do you store the guitar? like i've seen people hanging a guitar above a heather kinda thing :P Also how long has the guitar been in the store before you bought it... i would get some lemon oil in case of a rosewood and give it some treatment. Sounds to me like it has gotten too dry. Especially we are in a change of season right now... My guitars hate the change of season.
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Forum User
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Either stored on a 4-guitar rack or in its hard case. I am trying to determine if the cracks were there during purchase or not, The creaking sound has been a problem since the day I brought it home.
The rest of the fretboard is immaculate and to notice the cracks you have to really look close, So I can almost guarantee I wouldn't have noticed in store.

Should I inquire with the store about an exchange or is this something bearable?
Forum User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
 
BobDetroit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
My Ibanez S470 has a Wizard neck and the swept back headstock is glued to the neck at about the first fret. The rosewood fretboard is glued on top. You have to look really close to find the joint and I would think the joint is stronger than the surrounding wood.

If assembled poorly I have seen necks crack at the joint or the fretboard will crack because it moves. I would expect it would make for some odd sounds too. I don't know much about RG321 but I think they are one of the less expensive models. If this is what is happening to your guitar take it to the store and show it to them as it is a manufacturing defect and they might warranty it.
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Forum User
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDetroit
My Ibanez S470 has a Wizard neck and the swept back headstock is glued to the neck at about the first fret. The rosewood fretboard is glued on top. You have to look really close to find the joint and I would think the joint is stronger than the surrounding wood.

If assembled poorly I have seen necks crack at the joint or the fretboard will crack because it moves. I would expect it would make for some odd sounds too. I don't know much about RG321 but I think they are one of the less expensive models. If this is what is happening to your guitar take it to the store and show it to them as it is a manufacturing defect and they might warranty it.



The concerning factor is I have an 2 other guitars showing none of the cracks/fatigue that my ibanez has. So humidity seems to be out of the question due to all guitars being under the same conditions and my other 2 guitars are over 7 years old with no fretboard cracks and/or abnormalities.

Can you direct me to actual information about this manufacturing defect?
The last time I was in there with issues they were quick to brush me off and dismiss me without really looking into my issues.
Forum User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
JAHellraiser
Registered User
 
JAHellraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
It's probably too late for an exchange now, if you got it last december
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
B&J
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum User
The concerning factor is I have an 2 other guitars showing none of the cracks/fatigue that my ibanez has. So humidity seems to be out of the question due to all guitars being under the same conditions and my other 2 guitars are over 7 years old with no fretboard cracks and/or abnormalities.

Can you direct me to actual information about this manufacturing defect?
The last time I was in there with issues they were quick to brush me off and dismiss me without really looking into my issues.

Not so, we are talking about natural instruments here, and every guitar reacts differently so humidity and a change of seasons. I have a great collection of guitars here and the most expensive ones will sound like crap if i dont take care of them. Those products are there for a reason. You cant just expose a rosewood fingerboard to humidity and expect it to stay well, it probably wont. Especially untreated fingerboards... And even more so the cheap ones.
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
Forum User
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
Not so, we are talking about natural instruments here, and every guitar reacts differently so humidity and a change of seasons. I have a great collection of guitars here and the most expensive ones will sound like crap if i dont take care of them. Those products are there for a reason. You cant just expose a rosewood fingerboard to humidity and expect it to stay well, it probably wont. Especially untreated fingerboards... And even more so the cheap ones.



I never said I intentionally exposed them to bad conditions I just stated that I have 2 other guitars that have been in *worse* conditions for a longer period of time and have been maintained less and still have a better fretboard than my ibanez (the concerning cracks around the first fret)

My ibanez care manual states I should oil Once a year. Not nearly enough time for natural weathering to deteriorate the fretboard In anycase I am not here to argue the semantics of which guitar corrodes faster under which conditions, I was merely asking for some advice from my one and only guitar resource(UG).
Forum User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
 
BobDetroit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
His guitar is less than a year old. If the neck is cracked it is because it wasn't made right. Take the guitar to the store and show them the crack.
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
B&J
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum User
I never said I intentionally exposed them to bad conditions I just stated that I have 2 other guitars that have been in *worse* conditions for a longer period of time and have been maintained less and still have a better fretboard than my ibanez (the concerning cracks around the first fret)

My ibanez care manual states I should oil Once a year. Not nearly enough time for natural weathering to deteriorate the fretboard In anycase I am not here to argue the semantics of which guitar corrodes faster under which conditions, I was merely asking for some advice from my one and only guitar resource(UG).

Just checking, theres ppl here who expose theire guitars to the worst stuff and find it weird it sounds like shit.If you do treat it well, i would definatly go back to the store cuz after a year it shouldnt crack. Not sure if it was an expensive guitar? Like if it was a cheap one you can expect these things... But if it was a decent guitar to begin with, you are in your right if you want it to stay decent after a year.
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
Forum User
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
Just checking, theres ppl here who expose theire guitars to the worst stuff and find it weird it sounds like shit.If you do treat it well, i would definatly go back to the store cuz after a year it shouldnt crack. Not sure if it was an expensive guitar? Like if it was a cheap one you can expect these things... But if it was a decent guitar to begin with, you are in your right if you want it to stay decent after a year.


I wouldn't say I sold my car and took out a loan to get it, But for the $600-800 I paid at the time I certainly don't expect these conditions. especially since the first guitar I purchased was an ashton guitar + amp combo ag10 10 watt amp. cost $150 for the bundle and the fretboard looks in better condition after 10 years than my ibanez in 11 months.

Thanks for your input UG.

The creak is either coming from the nut or the cracks in the fretboard,

anyone know a trial an error way to distinguish the cause of the creak?
Forum User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
B&J
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Lemon oil!!
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.