Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
VicRR1

Boss MT-2 metal zone

hey guys I currently own a jackson RR1 and play it through a marshal mg 100hdfx with a handful of pedals. I have a Ibanez tubescreamer, metal zone, compression sustainer, noise suppressor, and a morley bad horsie wah. At first the MT-2 was cool for the palm mutes but now I can actually play and the tone in my solos sound like garbage b/c of the mt-2 im guessing. Anybody know of some mods that could help me out.

I just dropped 3g on tuition and rent (should just bought a trip rectifier ha).

Also welcome any input on the MT-2. At first I read it was like one of the most purchased pedals but after using it for a year I dont know how
MG 100 hdfx (for now)
CS-3,Tubescreamer,NS-2,Morley bad horsie 2, and MT-2 (garbage)
VicRR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
littlephil

The MT-2 isnt very liked around here. Supposedly the Keeley mods for it are great.
littlephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
MatrixClaw
UG God

No offense, but you have a $2000 guitar and a $600 halfstack.

...sell it and buy something worth playing that nice of a guitar through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
ChuggyMcBr00tlz
Get real noob...

Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
No offense, but you have a $2000 guitar and a $600 halfstack.

...sell it and buy something worth playing that nice of a guitar through.

+1

You also got alot of money in pedals. Besides the Mt-2 those other pedals could be useful down the road with nice head.
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A

Last edited by ChuggyMcBr00tlz : 01-09-2010 at 04:51 AM.
ChuggyMcBr00tlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
bubb_tubbs
UG's Grouch

Playing an RR1 through an MG is like putting bicycle tires on a Corvette. It also won't take pedals very well, being a modeler.

If you sold it, you could use the money to fund a significant portion of a cheaper combo that might be a better fit for you.

What sort of music do you play? (metal, I'm assuming, with an RR1)

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
bubb_tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
VicRR1

No offense taken I got tuition to pay though. I got the RR1 off a friend for only 1300 so I jumped at the chance. I bought the half stak when I only owned my schecter s1. Ya i play metal with this guitar. I use the schecter for anything else. I want to get either a jcm or a mesa boogie (triple or double rectifier) any suggestions
MG 100 hdfx (for now)
CS-3,Tubescreamer,NS-2,Morley bad horsie 2, and MT-2 (garbage)
VicRR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
LezPaulEpiphone
Doesn't really like Epi's

It's your amp that's mainly creating the bad tone, I would think, but the MT2 probably isn't helping things.
Try selling your MG and getting some kind of nicer amp, if that's possible?

Roger Waters - 12th May!
LezPaulEpiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
bubb_tubbs
UG's Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRR1
No offense taken I got tuition to pay though. I got the RR1 off a friend for only 1300 so I jumped at the chance. I bought the half stak when I only owned my schecter s1. Ya i play metal with this guitar. I use the schecter for anything else. I want to get either a jcm or a mesa boogie (triple or double rectifier) any suggestions

Sorry, reading the post again I realize it's unclear.

What I meant was that you should sell your amp. Don't sell the RR1.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:28 AM   #9
STABxYOU
Keeps Punk Rock Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
It also won't take pedals very well, being a modeler.

No.

The MG is not a digital modelling amp. It is an analog solid state amp.

Anyways, op, be like Scott Hull, run the MT-2 in the FX loop with the gain at 0, as a semi-parametric EQ.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
STABxYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
bubb_tubbs
UG's Grouch

^ So noted. It'll still sound like a piece of shit, being an MG.

Better?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
Prodigy179

Prodigy179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
WtrPlyr
♪♫♪

If you ain't gigging, sell the MG + maybe the MT-2 and buy a 6505 112 combo. If you don't want to sell your MT-2 get Keeley to mod it, it gets much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Pedals are srs shit yo.
WtrPlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
Sludgedoo\m/

Pot

I'd hold onto the metal zone. That thing is pretty versatile. I think it's all about what you do with the thing. Maybe buying a new amp is the best idea. There are some high gain amps out there that sound great with the metal zone but you might need to buy an equalizer to boost the bass and an overdrive pedal might help too. You will definitely need a noise suppressor ISP Decimator G String or ISP Rack for absolute silence. Don't waste your money on boss noise suppressor. Those things bite into your tone and don't even eliminate all the feed back. Already having a great guitar with nice pickup's will take you a long way as far as noise control is concerned so you can have all the gain you want with absolute silence with both hands not touching your guitar. Don't scoop the mids if plan on playing live because you won't hear shit and even if you find a way to hear with scooped mids it still sounds like crappy nu-metal shit. Also you might want to try putting an overdrive in your effects loop and mt2 in the front. I tried my ml2 with blues driver in effects loop and it sounds like a chainsaw from hell but i still need equalizer. Just ordered the mt2 today by the way and already know it's going to be a bitch finding the right eq but i know some heavy bands that use it and sound great.

"Dystopia" is one of them!
Sludgedoo\m/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
BucketheadOwns

It's shit in my opinion. I've recently been shopping for a great metal pedal and I tried the MT2, and it sucked big time, like playing through a micro cube. In the end I settled on the MXR Fullbore, it's superior in every way
POD X3 Live
BucketheadOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
dr_john
yer blues

^ nice to hear some support for the metal zone. i have had one for a while now, and find it pretty versatile. the 4 band EQ is useful, and contrary to some opinions it's not mandatory to turn the distortion level all the way up to max.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
Sludgedoo\m/

Quote:
It's shit in my opinion. I've recently been shopping for a great metal pedal and I tried the MT2, and it sucked big time, like playing through a micro cube. In the end I settled on the MXR Fullbore, it's superior in every way

Did you try the pedal along with any of the recommendations I listed above. You can't just use the mt2 alone and expect it to be balls to the wall you know. It's more complicated than that. Even if you find the right EQ for the MZ, you might need an Equalizer pedal to add more tone along with bass. Try mixing the pedal with an overdrive/distortion pedal or maxon overdrive, ts9 tube screamer, or blues driver to push it a little harder. Also you'll never know the full potential of any pedal unless you play it through a half stack which is what you will be using in a gig. Having a guitar with emg or demarzio pick-ups. The mt2 is a complicated pedal as well. It takes hours to find the right eq on the mz and patients. The knobs are super sensitive to every touch.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
imicius
(")(O.O)(")

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRR1
hey guys I currently own a jackson RR1 and play it through a marshal mg 100hdfx with a handful of pedals. I have a Ibanez tubescreamer, metal zone, compression sustainer, noise suppressor, and a morley bad horsie wah. At first the MT-2 was cool for the palm mutes but now I can actually play and the tone in my solos sound like garbage b/c of the mt-2 im guessing. Anybody know of some mods that could help me out.

I just dropped 3g on tuition and rent (should just bought a trip rectifier ha).

Also welcome any input on the MT-2. At first I read it was like one of the most purchased pedals but after using it for a year I dont know how

I would sell the MG halfstack, compressor (unless you like compressed tones) and MT-2 and buy a 6505 112 combo. Keep the Tubescreamer for a boost/OD if you like that kind of thing, and the noise suppressor because metal amps can be noisy.
imicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
SimplyBen
Call me Ben :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludgedoo\m/
Did you try the pedal along with any of the recommendations I listed above. You can't just use the mt2 alone and expect it to be balls to the wall you know. It's more complicated than that. Even if you find the right EQ for the MZ, you might need an Equalizer pedal to add more tone along with bass. Try mixing the pedal with an overdrive/distortion pedal or maxon overdrive, ts9 tube screamer, or blues driver to push it a little harder. Also you'll never know the full potential of any pedal unless you play it through a half stack which is what you will be using in a gig. Having a guitar with emg or demarzio pick-ups. The mt2 is a complicated pedal as well. It takes hours to find the right eq on the mz and patients. The knobs are super sensitive to every touch.

That was so dumb, I'm going to have to break it down.

Quote:
You can't just use the mt2 alone and expect it to be balls to the wall you know

Why? That's a perfectly reasonable expectation. You buy a pedal to do something and this is called a 'Metal' pedal why should it not do 'metal' on it's own?

Quote:
Even if you find the right EQ for the MZ, you might need an Equalizer pedal to add more tone along with bass. Try mixing the pedal with an overdrive/distortion pedal or maxon overdrive, ts9 tube screamer, or blues driver to push it a little harder.

Surley if you had an amp that worked with an OD you wouldn't need to buy the MT-2? If your amp is SS putting an OD in front of it with the MT-2 is a surefire way to get feedback & butt load of unwanted noise.

Quote:
Also you'll never know the full potential of any pedal unless you play it through a half stack which is what you will be using in a gig. Having a guitar with emg or demarzio pick-ups.

This is the major moment. A pedal can reach it's potential at any volume, with any amp (so to speak..) There's no need to get a half stack to gig unless you're playing stadium shows even then you don't need one. EMG's & Demazrio p/ups isn't going to make or break a pedal or necessarily improve your tone. Making this a moo point.

Quote:
The mt2 is a complicated pedal as well. It takes hours to find the right eq on the mz and patients. The knobs are super sensitive to every touch.

I was there for about 2 months and never found anything I was happy with.

Listen to imicius up there. That's the best suggestion. Other than that, Keeley mod the MT-2 and make it into a pedal you'll want to use.
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

SimplyBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
denied
Jamming

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
^ So noted. It'll still sound like a piece of shit, being an MG.

Better?

Not really. The MG series actually take pedals fairly well, your point is still incorrect.

IMO you can get okayish sounds out of an MT2 if you run a ten band eq after it to fine tune. Nothing to write home about. The twilight mod makes it pretty usable.

I would ditch both the MT2 and the MG and get an amp that does justice to your guitar. Even a cheap 6262 would be worlds better
denied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
Sludgedoo\m/

You also should be messing around with the amp knobs typically high mids, high treble, high bass and high distortion.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: