Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
feraccia

Help for string gauge!

Hi guys! Recently I started a band, and we decided to play in drop b. I play an LTD MH - 350 NT, wich comes with a 25.5" scale.
Now, I've recently tried the Ernie Ball 10 - 56 set for 7-string guitar; I burnt the 0.10 string, so the set now is 13 - 17 - 26 - 36 - 46 - 56, but this feels too much... "Hard" to play. Now I want to put on a custom set, made by (in order of appearance): 0.11 - 0.14 - 0.20 - 0.32 - 0.42 - 0.56. Will this work? Or will this **** up my neck? (i have a Neck-Thru-Body Construction).
Thanks to anyone who will answer!

Last edited by feraccia : 11-18-2012 at 09:40 AM.
feraccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
DoubleBassCrash

You're fine, that custom set you want won't **** your neck up.
DoubleBassCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Mind_Reader7

I used a .56 for my 7th G string.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
hminh87
Justin here!

Considering there are set of 11-70 I think you will be fine.

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
pushingthrough

I have the same guitar and I just started using 12-60's for drop tuning. You might have to adjust the truss rod and do a setup depending on how it was setup before but you should be fine. I just tried DR DDT's and i was blown away. They held tune right from the start. Other strings would not hold as well and I would find some strings to be chronic with tuning problems. They're a little more expensive than some other brands but I'm a die hard fan now. They feel and sound fantastic. I wont use anything else for drop tuning. You wont be dissapointed.
pushingthrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by feraccia
Hi guys! Recently I started a band, and we decided to play in drop b. I play an LTD MH - 350 NT, wich comes with a 25.5" scale.
Now, I've recently tried the Ernie Ball 10 - 56 set for 7-string guitar; I burnt the 0.10 string, so the set now is 13 - 17 - 26 - 36 - 46 - 56, but this feels too much... "Hard" to play. Now I want to put on a custom set, made by (in order of appearance): 0.11 - 0.14 - 0.20 - 0.32 - 0.42 - 0.56. Will this work? Or will this **** up my neck? (i have a Neck-Thru-Body Construction).
Thanks to anyone who will answer!

I don't understand how being in drop b with those strings make it hard to play. I use 10-52 on an SG to tune to drop C and they feal a little fubby still.

You may want to use a 24w in place of the 20
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
feraccia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I don't understand how being in drop b with those strings make it hard to play. I use 10-52 on an SG to tune to drop C and they feal a little fubby still.

You may want to use a 24w in place of the 20

Well, you know, I like soft strings, I don't like to have too much "substance" under my finger. I bend a lot, and I do riffs that are pretty fast and with lots of tecnique in them, so I need a fast response even if I don't "press" too much the string. I hope you understood what I said, because my English is pretty wrong
Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by feraccia
Well, you know, I like soft strings, I don't like to have too much "substance" under my finger. I bend a lot, and I do riffs that are pretty fast and with lots of tecnique in them, so I need a fast response even if I don't "press" too much the string. I hope you understood what I said, because my English is pretty wrong

I speak English and I am pretty bad at it

One thing to take into consideration it the more tension you have on your strings in a lower tunning the sharper and more crisp your notes/chords will be. This does help with your sound not getting "muddy" as bad.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
feraccia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushingthrough
I have the same guitar and I just started using 12-60's for drop tuning. You might have to adjust the truss rod and do a setup depending on how it was setup before but you should be fine. I just tried DR DDT's and i was blown away. They held tune right from the start. Other strings would not hold as well and I would find some strings to be chronic with tuning problems. They're a little more expensive than some other brands but I'm a die hard fan now. They feel and sound fantastic. I wont use anything else for drop tuning. You wont be dissapointed.

Well, thanks for the advice! Do you like that guitar?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
feraccia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I speak English and I am pretty bad at it

One thing to take into consideration it the more tension you have on your strings in a lower tunning the sharper and more crisp your notes/chords will be. This does help with your sound not getting "muddy" as bad.

My only fear was about the passage betwenn 0.42 and 0.56... It's such an abyss!

Rate This Thread: