Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

Headphones for monitoring

My Sennheiser HD 280s have died after many months of prolonged use, so I'm looking into a replacement. I actually don't have a pair of monitors yet, so I used them for basically everything...

However, if I'm going to need a pair of monitors for mixing anyway. I might as well get headphones that are a little more forgiving and have more enhanced bass. I loved the HD 280s for listening in depth, but they were really unforgiving and I hated them for just listening to music normally. They also made it strangely hard to pick out the bass guitar compared to just a pair of ear buds. I'm not entirely sure which way to go, anyway hears what I'm looking for:

- Same price roughly as the HD 280s
- Minimal sound leakage - I don't want everyone to hear what I'm listening to really loudly!
- Likewise, decent isolation from outside noises. So I can't hear the sound of my guitar strings blending in with the processed sound from the headphones.
- Enough low end so that they sound a bit more forgiving, but not so much that it's not a clear sound.

If there's no better choice I'll get another pair of the Sennheisers, but it's worth a look round. Cheers!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
tim_mop

I've just bought a pair of HD380 pros, and it sounds like they're just what you're looking for! They have a hugely extensive low end, but still have a clear but gentle high end.

I've been wearing them to mix, and on the tube when I come home from work: no fatigue, really comfy! The only downside is that they're quite large. But i'd imagine the 280s are similar anyway!

I'm not sure what the 280s cost, but the 380s i got for around 100. Worth checking out!
tim_mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
flame843
stop the munati

I'm a big fan of Audio Technica ATH M-50s...they have a very clear and flat response, they're well-constructed, and they're fantastic for their price ($150-200 depending on where you're shopping). i've used them to mix for a little over a year and i'm still constantly impressed with their sound. here's a video review that shows some of the great stuff about them:

flame843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Dick Foster

I've always been a fan of the better Koss phones. I still have some vintage HV/1As that I intend to take to my grave.

Although these are on the cheap side, they do have decent full range response and the big plus is that they are uber comfortable to wear for long periods of time, I can even sleep in them. At the price they sell for, 50 bucks, they are not likely to bust anyone's budget either. The looks are a little old 70's tech maybe but we are talking about sound and comfort here.

http://www.koss.com/en/products/hea...n_Ear_Headphone

Even buds get to me after while and I don't like enclosed phones either unless you absolutely positively have to have the super isolation of either in ear buds or enclosed over ear cups.

And when Koss gives you a lifetime warranty they really mean it. Free repairs for life.

After all, they did invent the very first stereo headphones so they've been working at it for a while and may have picked up a few ideas along the way.

They make some junk but they also make some good stuff too. For only 50 bucks it could be worth a shot. If nothing else you can use them with your iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
My Sennheiser HD 280s have died after many months of prolonged use, so I'm looking into a replacement. I actually don't have a pair of monitors yet, so I used them for basically everything...

However, if I'm going to need a pair of monitors for mixing anyway. I might as well get headphones that are a little more forgiving and have more enhanced bass. I loved the HD 280s for listening in depth, but they were really unforgiving and I hated them for just listening to music normally. They also made it strangely hard to pick out the bass guitar compared to just a pair of ear buds. I'm not entirely sure which way to go, anyway hears what I'm looking for:

- Same price roughly as the HD 280s
- Minimal sound leakage - I don't want everyone to hear what I'm listening to really loudly!
- Likewise, decent isolation from outside noises. So I can't hear the sound of my guitar strings blending in with the processed sound from the headphones.
- Enough low end so that they sound a bit more forgiving, but not so much that it's not a clear sound.

If there's no better choice I'll get another pair of the Sennheisers, but it's worth a look round. Cheers!
Dick Foster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: