Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
ws6transam

Does "Hardcore/Stoner/Psychedelic/Blues" rock sound interesting to anybody????...

Basically I want to write a song that starts out at a normal speed. Then it speeds up quite fast [hardcore punk]. Then it slows down for the chorus [stoner rock]. And the whole thing will be pretty bluesy [blues]. Some other songs I write will have elements of psychedelic rock and will probably sound like Howlin Wolf's psychedelic blues stuff. Does that sound like it will be good????...
ws6transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Write it and we'll see.

Go forth and compose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Hail
kill both bass players

no
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

I think it's called prog. Anyway, I would love to hear that thing. Please share it when it's finished.

EDIT: And don't worry about Hail's comment. He is a little different from all other kids.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
badfish_lewis

Sounds like a dance mix song
badfish_lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

This is just basically prog. The problem is that it will come out very disorganized and arbitrary. It's going to end up sounding like a kid with ADHD rather than someone who knows what they're doing and making a meaningful statement with the music.

Rather than erratically stitching these styles together section after section, figure out a way to integrate all of them into your musical voice simultaneously and create coherent music with it.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
GuitarQ33r0
Deathcore Messiah

The blues/psychedelic sound will come from your style and tone. The hardcore fast intro and verses will work well with the slowed down stoner/doom metal chorus because of how drastically different the tempos are it will create tension. I would recommend making the lyrics of the verses and chorus drastically different like the tempos. Like maybe being pissed off in verses and sad in the chorus. I think it will sound tight.

Last edited by GuitarQ33r0 : 01-07-2013 at 03:31 PM.
GuitarQ33r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
TV-Casualty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
This is just basically prog. The problem is that it will come out very disorganized and arbitrary. It's going to end up sounding like a kid with ADHD rather than someone who knows what they're doing and making a meaningful statement with the music.

Rather than erratically stitching these styles together section after section, figure out a way to integrate all of them into your musical voice simultaneously and create coherent music with it.

Easy to say for someone who already been there done that and understands those concepts

I say do it OP. Gotta get your hands dirty. I don't know what your compositional background is, but it sounds like you still may be in the early stages. So your music may sounds disjointed at first, who cares? If you actually give a shit about what you're doing and develop the ability to examine your music with a certain degree of objectivity, you're going to get better.
I know this sounds corny but I truly believe it: play with honesty from the heart
TV-Casualty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi

This. There might be more of one genre's influence in a particular section, but you probably shouldn't just switch between multiple genres throughout the song.

By all means put tempo changes in your song but it's very easy to lose cohesion if you don't really know what you're doing.

How drastic do you plan to make these tempo changes?

Also, how good is your drummer?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to write a blues-rock tune with a heavy driving verse and a laid back open groove for the chorus. This is very doable if you have a strong rhythm section. If not, it'll be tough. You'll also want to make sure the song itself is cohesive without the tempo/groove switches. It'll help if you stick to a double-time/half-time feel, rather than actually changing the tempo. That'll help it flow and it'll make it easier for the vocal/melody line to feel somewhat consistent between the sections.

What's your vision of the stoner rock influence? I'm hearing something reminiscent of Deftones circa White Pony more than stoner rock like Kyuss. Not sure if that's the direction you want to take it though.

I might actually try to roll with this idea myself, although more toward reggae/ska than stoner/blues/punk.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
ws6transam

You guys sort of put some words out there that will help me clear up what I was trying to say.

There will be fast verses and then slow choruses.

The guitar work will be blues influenced (although with occasional psychedelia) just like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath stuff.

The tempo changes that I was talking about would be similar to that in "Wolfmother"s song "Apple Tree". Its fast and then it goes slow.

So basically here are my influences

Hardcore-Punk - Minor Threat

Psychedelia - various artists (The Doors, Steppenwolf, The Beatles, etc)

Blues - various artists (anyone ranging from Robert Johnson to Joe Bonamassa to Muddy Waters)

Stoner Rock - various artists (Wolfmother, Kyuss, Electric Wizard, Black Sabbath, etc)

I hope I could make things a little more coherent for you guys...
ws6transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6transam
You guys sort of put some words out there that will help me clear up what I was trying to say.

There will be fast verses and then slow choruses.

The guitar work will be blues influenced (although with occasional psychedelia) just like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath stuff.

The tempo changes that I was talking about would be similar to that in "Wolfmother"s song "Apple Tree". Its fast and then it goes slow.

So basically here are my influences

Hardcore-Punk - Minor Threat

Psychedelia - various artists (The Doors, Steppenwolf, The Beatles, etc)

Blues - various artists (anyone ranging from Robert Johnson to Joe Bonamassa to Muddy Waters)

Stoner Rock - various artists (Wolfmother, Kyuss, Electric Wizard, Black Sabbath, etc)

I hope I could make things a little more coherent for you guys...

What are you waiting for? Get writing and try it out, then!
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
no

yes.

thats a yes...i agree with hail... not a yes...about the topic...if you're asking... then the answer is... no... yes?

modes.
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: