Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
paul w1

Th30 to a Mesa 5.50

Hi guys i'm still after changing my TH30 head and cab for something smaller and easier to move about. I've been looking at the Mesa 5.50, i know these amps are well rated but can they match the crunch of my TH30 and more? thanks Paul.
paul w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

I played a 5:50 (head cab version) and it just sounded cold to me. I tried every possible knob combination and couldn't get a sound I really liked. It was very frustrating, it was good sounding, but I always felt like I wanted more, it was always "Yes, I almost like this, it's just lacking some punch, some clarity, some warmth..."
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
ragingkitty
meow?

What will your expected applications be like?

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
paul w1

Thanks guys the amp will mainly used for home/band practice and the tones i'm after incl zz top G & R rhcp etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I'm with Darkflame. I've tried many Mesas, and each one had things I liked about it and applications I could see it in, but the 5:50 and 5:25 were both quite meh. Easily my least favorite Mesa. There just wasn't anything about it that I really liked. The other guitarist of my band was considering one for a while, but he ended up getting a Rectoverb because he just didn't like the 5:50, and it was all he talked about before he tried it.

If it were me, I would keep the TH30 over the 5:50. If I were going Mesa and wanted nice, classic crunch and outstanding cleans, I would get a Lonestar. The 5:50 has a little more gain and a tighter bottom end, but I just wasn't impressed by it. It just sounds like Mesa tried to make a cheap amp that can do a little of everything but a lot of nothing.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
paul w1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I'm with Darkflame. I've tried many Mesas, and each one had things I liked about it and applications I could see it in, but the 5:50 and 5:25 were both quite meh. Easily my least favorite Mesa. There just wasn't anything about it that I really liked. The other guitarist of my band was considering one for a while, but he ended up getting a Rectoverb because he just didn't like the 5:50, and it was all he talked about before he tried it.

If it were me, I would keep the TH30 over the 5:50. If I were going Mesa and wanted nice, classic crunch and outstanding cleans, I would get a Lonestar. The 5:50 has a little more gain and a tighter bottom end, but I just wasn't impressed by it. It just sounds like Mesa tried to make a cheap amp that can do a little of everything but a lot of nothing.

Thanks very much that's a great answer.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Darkflame

Please give more details about what you want exactly though, such as a budget, and more accurate informations... Your last thread ended up with people from all around the world screaming in pain and telling you to keep the TH30 (and I was one of them). What do you want to change about it, besides the fact you feel like a head and a 2x12 are too big?
My band (Facebook)
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
MatrixClaw
UG God

Stick with the TH30, the Express series is the worst sounding Mesa I've used

If your 2x12 is too big to move, just buy a nice 1x12 (Bogner Cube, Mesa Thiele, Orange 1x12, Emperor 1x12, etc.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
paul w1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Please give more details about what you want exactly though, such as a budget, and more accurate informations... Your last thread ended up with people from all around the world screaming in pain and telling you to keep the TH30 (and I was one of them). What do you want to change about it, besides the fact you feel like a head and a 2x12 are too big?

You hit the nail on the head about about the head and cab being to big. I'm after and amp with some on board effects that i can pick up and put in the car without all the wires and pedals. That's why i was looking at the Mesa thinking maybe that would do it all. I was outbid on a 5.50 this morning on ebay it went for 670 so i suppose my budget would be about 1k and i'm happy to buy used.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Darkflame

How about getting a cheaper modeler with built-in effects and keeping your amp as well? You could get something like a 60 watt tube vypyr and be able to travel with that, then you wouldn't have to get rid of your TH30
My band (Facebook)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

What you need is a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, your post screams that
Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
paul w1

Thanks i will give it some thought.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

you wouldn't necessarily need to sell your TH30 either.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

For ZZ-Top and GnR? What you need is a real Marshall. ie. NOT an MG or AVT/VS, something real like a JMP, JCM (not a TSL), etc.
Some form of tube Laney would do the deed too.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
icronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul w1
You hit the nail on the head about about the head and cab being to big. I'm after and amp with some on board effects that i can pick up and put in the car without all the wires and pedals. That's why i was looking at the Mesa thinking maybe that would do it all. I was outbid on a 5.50 this morning on ebay it went for 670 so i suppose my budget would be about 1k and i'm happy to buy used.

Well going from the TH30 to the Express wouldn't solve any of that. You'd have one less thing to carry and only save yourself a single speaker cable. You'd still need your pedals the amps footswitch and everything else. Plus the 5:50 is not exactly what I'd call light.

If you want onboard effects you need to buy solid state. Either a combo amp, like something Line6 offers (and lets be honest, it's going to sound like crap) or some kind of rack unit like the Eleven Rack or the AxeFX or PodHD (although you'd need to run those through either an active monitor or a PA and a cab or passive monitor. Not cheap. Plus you'd need a footswitch to control the whole deal.

My advice... Buy a lighter cab and learn to play without pedals.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: