Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

What effect is this?

What effects do they have going on on the guitar in this song?
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Free bump day.

Do you mean that 'wah wah' sound?

Wah pedal
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

I don't think that is actually a guitar... But ya it just sounds like wah wah to me. I'd probably want an octave too so I could play it a bit lower on the neck... But again I don't think it's guitar to begin with so I doubt they're using an octave. Definitely some type of wah or envelope filter though.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

Obviously I know the wah, but I mean, If I plug my guitar into my wah and amp there's something missing. Something I can't describe. Maybe it's just the synth or whatever is following the same lead. I guess maybe an octave could get close to that.
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
tubetime86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlips
Obviously I know the wah, but I mean, If I plug my guitar into my wah and amp there's something missing. Something I can't describe. Maybe it's just the synth or whatever is following the same lead. I guess maybe an octave could get close to that.

What makes you think that is even a guitar to begin with?

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
What makes you think that is even a guitar to begin with?

Just sounds like it to me. I suppose it could be a keyboard, but you can get close enough with a guitar to sound like it, so I figured that in the massive world of oddball effects there would be an effect that could get a similar sound.
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Old 11-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
tubetime86

Quote:
Just sounds like it to me. I suppose it could be a keyboard, but you can get close enough with a guitar to sound like it, so I figured that in the massive world of oddball effects there would be an effect that could get a similar sound.

It is almost certainly done with a synth... Though it could be a synth emulating a guitar... You would do that with an octave at minimum and more likely with an actual synth unit for a guitar... But the burning question is 'why?' You seem to have identified everything yourself already before posting this thread so I don't really get what you're wanting to hear.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

Quote:
It is almost certainly done with a synth... Though it could be a synth emulating a guitar... You would do that with an octave at minimum and more likely with an actual synth unit for a guitar... But the burning question is 'why?' You seem to have identified everything yourself already before posting this thread so I don't really get what you're wanting to hear.

Well it didn't occur to me that it might not be a guitar until you asked. What I want to know is (if it's possible) how I can get my guitar to sound funky like that.
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
tubetime86

Quote:
Well it didn't occur to me that it might not be a guitar until you asked. What I want to know is (if it's possible) how I can get my guitar to sound funky like that.

There are synth units for guitar... Basically what you're asking is 'can I make my guitar sound like something poorly emulating a guitar'... Sure you can, but again why?

If it were me, and on a budget as usual, I'd just use a wah and either an octave or just play it high up on the neck... It's gonna sound different, but better than whatever they are using.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 11-19-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
SexyLikeAPig
Don't judge us fat girls

First off, that's one of my favourite ever albums. Good taste you have, hmmmm.

Like others have said, it's likely played on a synth. However it does sound kinda guitar-y. If it is a guitar, I think it's just played high up on the neck with lots of post-production.

Thing is, there's so much production on that album, it can be difficult to discern what instruments are used.

I'd say, just wah and high up on the neck. Plenty of treble and mids. An octave/pitch shifter may help too.

Last edited by SexyLikeAPig : 11-19-2012 at 05:00 PM.
SexyLikeAPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

Quote:
There are synth units for guitar... Basically what you're asking is 'can I make my guitar sound like something poorly emulating a guitar'... Sure you can, but again why?

If it were me, and on a budget as usual, I'd just use a wah and either an octave or just play it high up on the neck... It's gonna sound different, but better than whatever they are using.

Okay. Ill try an octave. Does it matter why? I thought it was a guitar with a wah and something else. I was just curious.
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
tubetime86

Quote:
Okay. Ill try an octave. Does it matter why? I thought it was a guitar with a wah and something else. I was just curious.

Ya I mean if you're asking because you want to cover that song then I'd imagine literally anything you do with your guitar live is going to sound cooler than that flat sounding synth. Not saying the song sucks, but as a guitarist I think that synth sounds like shit. That sounds exactly like what I'd imagine a keyboard would have built-in and labeled 'funky guitar.'

It matters why because what you're trying to do with it matters. Do you want to sound like that on a recording? Live on stage? In your bedroom? Do you want to emulate that sound for that song, or you just like it and want to adapt it to your own playing... Of course the why matters... How can I help you accomplish something if I don't know what it is you're trying to accomplish?

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 11-19-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
SexyLikeAPig
Don't judge us fat girls

Quote:

I think if it is a guitar, there's quite a lot of production on there. I think that's the other effect you're looking for. I'm not sure what production exactly, it could just be EQ'ing. But as the other guys said, it does sound like a synth emulating a guitar.

Quote:
Ya I mean if you're asking because you want to cover that song then I'd imagine literally anything you do with your guitar live is going to sound cooler than that flat sounding synth. Not saying the song sucks, but as a guitarist I think that synth sounds like shit. That sounds exactly like what I'd imagine a keyboard would have built-in and labeled 'funky guitar.'

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a cheap keyboard. One of the other songs on there is intentionally based around a cheap drum machine beat.

Last edited by SexyLikeAPig : 11-19-2012 at 05:04 PM.
SexyLikeAPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
tubetime86

^I'm with you. They have a very 'minimalist' kind of sound, from what little I've heard so I highly doubt they were in the studio for hours nailing that sound.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
SexyLikeAPig
Don't judge us fat girls

Quote:
^I'm with you. They have a very 'minimalist' kind of sound, from what little I've heard so I highly doubt they were in the studio for hours nailing that sound.

I wouldn't say it's minimalist as such. They pretty much threw everything but the ******* sink in there, which just so happened to include cheap drum machines, cheap keyboards, various famous musicians and a children's choir.

I know what you mean though about it sounding a bit flat. I think it works with everything else, but eh, different strokes for different folks and all that jazz.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:

You most likely don't want an octave but a pitch shifter. Octaver pedals have a sound an octave and sometimes two octaves below the "dry" signal. For example Boss OC-3 Octaver, it has two knobs for two different octaves (below the dry signal) and a dry signal knob. But that's not what you want. You want your pedal to make you sound an octave higher and that's what pitch shifter does (Digitech Whammy for example, though Whammy can emulate whammy bar sounds and it also has a "detune" effect that sounds like chorus). You can also make guitar harmonies and octaver kind of sounds with a pitch shifter because you can change the interval between the effected and dry signal. But I wouldn't buy a pedal for the sound on the song you posted. Just use the high frets, it's not that hard. But if you want a pedal, wah is what you need.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
tubetime86

^Nope. Octaver means it produces an octave of the sound. Just because many of the popular ones do octave down doesn't mean that's what the term means. Pitch shifter means it can do things other than octaves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLikeAPig
I wouldn't say it's minimalist as such. They pretty much threw everything but the ******* sink in there, which just so happened to include cheap drum machines, cheap keyboards, various famous musicians and a children's choir.

I know what you mean though about it sounding a bit flat. I think it works with everything else, but eh, different strokes for different folks and all that jazz.

I very, very rarely have any respect for electronic music... Don't take offense.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 11-19-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
SexyLikeAPig
Don't judge us fat girls

Nah, it's cool. I'm the same with modern metal.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
tubetime86

We are in agreement there.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
^Nope. Octaver means it produces an octave of the sound. Just because many of the popular ones do octave down doesn't mean that's what the term means. Pitch shifter means it can do things other than octaves...

I very, very rarely have any respect for electronic music... Don't take offense.

Yeah, but if people tell TS to buy an octaver, he might buy a pedal that only plays octaves down (and maybe will if he didn't clearly read what people were saying). And again, you don't need a pitch shifter to play that. Just play it how you would normally play it, the highest notes are not too high to be played on a guitar without a pitch shifter (the notes are around the 12th fret of high E string).

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: