Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
 
The Madcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Comedies that don't lose momentum

What are some comedies that remain consistently funny all the way through?

To me, most comedies seem to lose momentum after the first 30 to 45 minutes. They don't get bad, but most of the best laughs have been had at that point. Most comedies nowadays follow this formula:

Enter: Main character(s).
They have a problem or goal they need to accomplish.
They try to accomplish goal.
They have a falling out and separate and give up on accomplishing goal.
They reunite and resolve their differences and, stronger willed than before, accomplish their goal.
The road back; happy ending.

This formula was followed by Superbad, Bridesmaids, Role Models, Knocked Up, Step Brothers, Dumb and Dumber, Just about all Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler movies, Zack and Miri, and countless others (including most modern Disney Pixar films.

So whenever the characters have some sort of falling out (ex. in Knocked Up with Seth Rogen and Katharine Heigl break up), it's more serious and harder for the movie to be funny.

However, to me the following movies still manage to deliver the same amount of laughter throughout the whole film:

Dumb and Dumber
Airplane
Borat
__________________

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (I know, at this point it's sad).
Voted UG's best Male dresser 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtasic15
Ahem, no offense to any of the fags mentioned.
The Madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw
 
genghisgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Tropic Thunder
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
ErikLensherr
blackflag, pls
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
In Bruges
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
you don't live in hawaii. I live there. I should bop you in your yiffing face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
I knew someone who has said the character Rockadoodle made him first realize he was gay.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
 
rockingamer2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rainy Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcap
Airplane

I'd hope that it doesn't lose momentum, else it'd fall out of the sky.
__________________
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw
 
genghisgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
I'd hope that it doesn't lose momentum, else it'd fall out of the sky.

Funnier than anything actually in Airplane.
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Duffman123
A cookie full of arsenic
 
Duffman123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Black Dynamite
Life of Brian
Naked Gun

etccccc

and Anchorman, fak dis Ferrell hate
__________________
─╔╦╗╔╦═╦═╦══╦═╦═╗
╔╝║║║║═╣═╣║║║═║║║

║║║╚╝║╔╣╔╣║║║║║║║
╚═╩══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╝
Duffman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
 
Gibson_SG_uzr55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Valley State University, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
Tropic Thunder

Haven't seen you in a while, welcome back


Clerks 2. I was in tears and grabbing my gut the whole way through the first time I saw it, just when there was a sentimental/dramatic scene that popped up there would appear a one-liner to make light of the situation shortly. To this day my favorite comedy film.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers
Gibson_SG_uzr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Trowzaa
munchy crunchy
 
Trowzaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: inglund
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
In Bruges


Yes, definitely yes.

You're an inanimate fucking object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman123
Black Dynamite
Life of Brian
Naked Gun

etccccc

and Anchorman, fak dis Ferrell hate


Yeah, I was gonna say Anchorman's hilarious all the way through.
__________________
if you can't handle me when i'm bulking then you don't deserve me when i'm swole xo
Trowzaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
 
The Madcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
Funnier than anything actually in Airplane.
__________________

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (I know, at this point it's sad).
Voted UG's best Male dresser 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtasic15
Ahem, no offense to any of the fags mentioned.
The Madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Trowzaa
munchy crunchy
 
Trowzaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: inglund
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcap


Wouldn't his dick be green?
__________________
if you can't handle me when i'm bulking then you don't deserve me when i'm swole xo
Trowzaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw
 
genghisgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcap

I honestly don't know that Airplane is so revered. There's a few parts that made me chortle, but nothing laugh out loud funny.
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
 
The Madcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
Wouldn't his dick be green?
The joke is that people always associate Piccolo (and Namekians) with black people.
__________________

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (I know, at this point it's sad).
Voted UG's best Male dresser 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtasic15
Ahem, no offense to any of the fags mentioned.
The Madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
 
Gibson_SG_uzr55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Valley State University, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcap
What are some comedies that remain consistently funny all the way through?

To me, most comedies seem to lose momentum after the first 30 to 45 minutes. They don't get bad, but most of the best laughs have been had at that point. Most comedies nowadays follow this formula:

Enter: Main character(s).
They have a problem or goal they need to accomplish.
They try to accomplish goal.
They have a falling out and separate and give up on accomplishing goal.
They reunite and resolve their differences and, stronger willed than before, accomplish their goal.
The road back; happy ending.

This formula was followed by Superbad, Bridesmaids, Role Models, Knocked Up, Step Brothers, Dumb and Dumber, Just about all Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler movies, Zack and Miri, and countless others (including most modern Disney Pixar films.

So whenever the characters have some sort of falling out (ex. in Knocked Up with Seth Rogen and Katharine Heigl break up), it's more serious and harder for the movie to be funny.

However, to me the following movies still manage to deliver the same amount of laughter throughout the whole film:

Dumb and Dumber
Airplane
Borat

I'm actually confused, because you said Dumb and Dumber followed that formula, but maintain that Dumb and Dumber is one of those consistently funny movies. Are you saying you don't like the formula, but Dumb and Dumber is an exception to the rule? Or that you like that formula

I personally love Superbad, Step Brothers, Dumb and Dumber, etc. I'm not bashing on your taste if you're saying you don't like those former two, I'm just wondering because I'm not sure what you mean there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers
Gibson_SG_uzr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
WhiskeyFace
NSFW
 
WhiskeyFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ireland
Lebowski
__________________
Hors Phase~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
Forget the fundamentals of filmmaking, this thread needs the fundamentals of condom wearing.
'There is hope - but not for us'
WhiskeyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Duffman123
A cookie full of arsenic
 
Duffman123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
Lebowski

It's not that funny though. I mean it was a fun film, but I don't remember laughing out loud once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
Yes, definitely yes.

You're an inanimate fucking object.



Yeah, I was gonna say Anchorman's hilarious all the way through.

The cheap gags somehow manage to make me laugh the whole way through.
__________________
─╔╦╗╔╦═╦═╦══╦═╦═╗
╔╝║║║║═╣═╣║║║═║║║

║║║╚╝║╔╣╔╣║║║║║║║
╚═╩══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

Last edited by Duffman123 : 11-18-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Duffman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
 
The Madcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I'm actually confused, because you said Dumb and Dumber followed that formula, but maintain that Dumb and Dumber is one of those consistently funny movies. Are you saying you don't like the formula, but Dumb and Dumber is an exception to the rule? Or that you like that formula

I personally love Superbad, Step Brothers, Dumb and Dumber, etc. I'm not bashing on your taste if you're saying you don't like those former two, I'm just wondering because I'm not sure what you mean there.
Don't get me wrong, I still like all those movies that happen to follow that formula, however I think they lose momentum because they follow that formula. In all those movies, most of the best laughs I had were in the first 30 minutes. I like Superbad, Knocked Up, etc.

Dumb and Dumber however is kind of rare because it still remains consistently funny despite following that same formula. Even when Lloyd and Harry have their falling out, it's still funny.
__________________

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (I know, at this point it's sad).
Voted UG's best Male dresser 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtasic15
Ahem, no offense to any of the fags mentioned.
The Madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Bob_Sacamano
dreamy dancer
 
Bob_Sacamano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: cooper's psyche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman123
It's not that funny though. I mean it was a fun film, but I don't remember laughing out loud once.

shut the **** up duffy

I'd say Horrible Bosses was very consistent.
Bob_Sacamano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
L2112Lif
UG Board King
 
L2112Lif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: World of Magick and Faeries
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman123
It's not that funny though. I mean it was a fun film, but I don't remember laughing out loud once.


The cheap gags somehow manage to make me laugh the whole way through.



Inb4 "Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
__________________
Check out my music stuff!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/NSattelites

Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/l2112lif

Bandcamp: tfmonkey.bandcamp.com/
L2112Lif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #19
Trowzaa
munchy crunchy
 
Trowzaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: inglund
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman123


The cheap gags somehow manage to make me laugh the whole way through.


Indeed. Even at the sad parts, ie him sat at the bar drinking his miseries away. After Danny Trejo says his massive monologue and he just goes, "What? Oh, I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish." and the always classic, "It's so hot! Milk was a bad choice!"
__________________
if you can't handle me when i'm bulking then you don't deserve me when i'm swole xo
Trowzaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
WhiskeyFace
NSFW
 
WhiskeyFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman123
It's not that funny though. I mean it was a fun film, but I don't remember laughing out loud once.

I can't remember the first time I saw it but I laugh out loud when I rewatch it
__________________
Hors Phase~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
Forget the fundamentals of filmmaking, this thread needs the fundamentals of condom wearing.
'There is hope - but not for us'
WhiskeyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.