Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
JayCartay

Blackstar HT5-C, would it suit me?

I want something I can play in the house and record with. One of these seems quite perfect in that sense.

I noticed that the HT5-C doesn't have reverb. Is that reason to go for the HT5-R instead? Or would it be fine with a decent reverb pedal?

I play a lot of general rock and pop punk. Foos, Green Day, Blink, Jimmy Eat World, that kind of mix of styles. There's a bit of Metallica in there too. Can this amp give me a nice Overdrive with a Boss Blues Driver? I value nice cleans highly, so I'd be looking to run the amp on clean and hit the pedal for my OD sound.

Would a different pedal work better with the amp?
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

I think you can do better for cleans, especially since you're gonna get your dirt from a pedal. Can you answer the questions in the 'we need...' thread so we can be a bit more helpful?
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

it's just a digital reverb. you can grab a 10 dollar digital reverb pedal and it will be just as good.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
tubetime86

Buying an HT-5 for the cleans and getting all your dirt from a pedal is lunacy though.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

it wouldn't be so bad if they switched the op-amps and transistors out of the circuit for the clean channel.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
JayCartay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Buying an HT-5 for the cleans and getting all your dirt from a pedal is lunacy though.

How come? This is something I don't understand with amps. I am happy to use an amp's footswitch if the OD it produces is good, if that makes any difference.

How do these things sound?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
tubetime86

HT-5 is really geared towards metal players playing at low volumes. It's a bit controversial because it is technically a hybrid amp, and they don't really like to let on to that in the ads.

I don't have a problem with the HT-5 if the person is well informed and that's what they want... But there are much better choices for cleans.

Answer the questions in the 'We need...' thread or I'm not gonna bother posting in here anymore.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
JayCartay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
HT-5 is really geared towards metal players playing at low volumes. It's a bit controversial because it is technically a hybrid amp, and they don't really like to let on to that in the ads.

I don't have a problem with the HT-5 if the person is well informed and that's what they want... But there are much better choices for cleans.

Answer the questions in the 'We need...' thread or I'm not gonna bother posting in here anymore.

Ah I was under the impression that it was all valve.

Didn't fill out the questions as I was only asking about these amps, as I had a bit of a what amp thread recently, but here goes:

Budget? - Only want to spend about 150 - 200 as I plan to buy a gig worthy amp early next year. This is just for at home recording and practise.

Genres? - Rock, Pop Punk, Blink, Foos, Green Day, JEW, Angels & Airwaves, Bush, NFG

New or Used? - Absolutely Used at this budget level.

Home or Gig? - Home as stated. Would buy an amp that can do both adequately but not sure it's viable.

Closest City? - Leeds, UK

Current Gear? - 1985 Ibanez Roadstar II RS530, '86 Roadstar II RS430, Epiphone Dot with Gibson Dirty Fingers and all electrics and hardware upgraded, Boss BD-2, DD-7 and CH-1. Peavey Classic VT 100 amp.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
tubetime86

Sorry to be pushy, but it's just impossible to make good recommendations without all that info. I absolutely think you can do better than an HT-5 for what you want.

You sure you wouldn't be better off with a Pod unit? Or even better you could get a Pod UX1 which would come with Pod Farm and let you record through Pod models directly into your PC. It just seems silly to buy something sub-par when you're gonna snag the real deal in a few months.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
JayCartay

Well it will be at least March before I get anything else but still, I'll need something decent to use in the house. I don't know a lot about POD stuff but thought it had a poor reputation?

I like to run through a real amp and mic it if that helps.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Showiddlydiddly
Djangified

POD stuff is pretty damn excellent, IMO. It's the SS Line 6 amps which sound like arse.
Showiddlydiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
tubetime86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCartay
Well it will be at least March before I get anything else but still, I'll need something decent to use in the house. I don't know a lot about POD stuff but thought it had a poor reputation?

I like to run through a real amp and mic it if that helps.

The low end POD stuff (namely the pocket pod) isn't great, but the higher end stuff is pretty good. Do you have a recording interface already? If not then this is a great opporunity for you to kill two birds with one stone; the Line 6 UX2 is a USB microphone interface for recording, but also allows direct-in playing through the Pod Farm modeling software... So basically you'd be playing and recording direct into your computer (headphones or computer speakers for playback) until March, and then come March you'll have the biggest piece of your recording set up taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showiddlydiddly
POD stuff is pretty damn excellent, IMO. It's the SS Line 6 amps which sound like arse.

Nope. Vettas and Flextones can sound great. It's the Spider solid state series that sounds shit... But that's their budget line. Most budget lines sound like shit. It's not like an MG or Frontman sounds that much better.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
gerrywm

Ah now, the cleans on the ht-5 are pretty good, not fender twin good but good

Pod ux2 is a good piece of kit I use it for a lot of my night time practice with earphones, the pod farm can get good tones as well and its all very user friendly....But it no fun at all to jam with really
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
JayCartay

I'm running an M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface for recording.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
tubetime86

Quote:
I'm running an M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface for recording.

OK then a UX1(or 2) is less appealing since you won't gain from the interface...

I dunno man... At that budget you just can't really get anything all that worthwhile. If it were me I'd probably either get a POD or a shitty SS amp at a pawn shop for $20 and just wait until March. That money could be the boost you need to go from a decent amp to a great amp come March.

I'm getting the feeling you want me to say get the HT-5... If you really want it then just go ahead. I think it's a bad move, but it seems like I'm a bit more patient than you.

I'm not trying to argue but you're not really adding to the discussion here either than steering things back to the HT-5.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 11-19-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
JayCartay

Not really just want something suitable. The main point is that no matter what happens in March, the I will still need this home amp so it's not something I'd skip on for the bigger amp.

Would a Vypr 30 be any good? Or would it be way too loud?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
tubetime86

Quote:
Not really just want something suitable. The main point is that no matter what happens in March, the I will still need this home amp so it's not something I'd skip on for the bigger amp.

Would a Vypr 30 be any good? Or would it be way too loud?

Vypyr could be a great choice, but it is generally considered more metal voiced.

A great option for you (if it's in budget, I'm not familiar with prices there) would be the Fender Super Champ XD. It's an all-tube amp, but has some minor modeling features. That's one of the only low-end modelers I'd consider worth recording.

What makes you say a 'bigger amp' wouldn't work for a 'home amp?' Big amps often sound great at low volumes, and certainly most good tube amps sound better at low volumes than a cheap practice amp. I think you're operating on a false premise here... In March, provided your budget is big enough, you will be able to get an amp that does both.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
JayCartay

Cheers I'll research those. I'm always sceptical about modelling amps as I feel weird about using something artificial, but I'm sure I'm just being silly there.

My current Peavey just seems to really struggle to produce a decent sound at bedroom volume. It sounds very thin and makes the overdrive sound like ass.

Last edited by JayCartay : 11-19-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
tubetime86

That's the beauty of the Super Champ XD; it is a full tube amp, and can be played as such with no modeling interfering... But it also has a few modeling options, mostly just to add a bit of gain or a little flavor to the cleans.

Don't assume anything based on your Peavey. All amps are different. The best quiet amp I've owned was a 100 watt Fender head. The worst at quiet volumes was a 5 watt Epiphone head. Go figure.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #20
JayCartay

I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of the Fenders then. Any opinions on the Lane LC15 and 30's?

Rate This Thread: