Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
KailM

5150 Cab???

The local shop recently acquired a used Peavey 5150 412 cab (I don't know what speakers are inside) that looks to be in decent shape. It has a Peavey solid state something or other head on top and they're asking $350 for the pair.

Now, I've been planning on getting an Avatar Contemporary 212 cab unloaded for some time now, just haven't had the funds. I want to make my sound more "massive" and have better bass response. I'd be running my 6505+ combo into whatever cab I get (and eventually a 6505 head or something else), and probably put my Eminence Governor and stock Sheffield inside.

Anyway, I don't often hear people recommending 5150/6505 cabs, but I think it's because of the stock speakers rather than the cab construction. I'd already have one nice speaker to put in the 412 and it wouldn't take too long to get another one to put in an X pattern (maybe another Governor). I didn't really want a 412 just for convenience sake, but I know it would probably give me that "massive" sound and then some. I could probably get the cab alone cheaper than $350 or sell that head for something and have a pretty solid cab once I upgraded all the speakers.

Is this something I should consider doing or should I stick with my plan to go with an Avatar 212 contemporary? Decisions, decisions...
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2

Last edited by KailM : 11-19-2012 at 01:00 AM.
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Buy it.

You have a 2x12 combo, yes?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 11-19-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
Offworld92
One among the fence.

You don't know what the head is? If it's an XXL, that'd be a really good deal for $350.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

I would personally go for the avatar or a mesa cab. You could find one used in your price range or order one brand new with the speakers you want for a little more.
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I would snatch that up. Especially if the Peavey head is an XXL.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

If you need a backup amp, I suppose it's decent, but you can get Baltic birch cabs from peavey and carvin for really cheap, usually around a hundred bucks, so if you are planning on just upgrading speakers anyway, I would try to grab one off guitar centers used site and save some scratch.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
KailM

It's an old, old head -- nothing I've even heard of before. I should have written it down. Anyway, if it was an XXL I'd be selling something today to purchase this. As it is, I'll have to wait a little while, but I doubt it's going anywhere soon.

How would an Avatar Contemporary 212 w/ some decent speakers sound compared to this 5150 412 with comparable speakers? I know the Avatars are supposed to be pretty big compared to a standard 212, hence my interest. I want that halfstack sound without (hopefully) having to actually have a halfstack.

As for Cath's question, I have the 6505+ 112 combo, not the 212. I'd be taking the speaker out of it and running it in whatever I get. Then, eventually, I'm gonna sell off the combo with the original speaker and get a head (most likely a 6505, but there are a few others I've been playing around with). I've loved my 112 for the past two years, but I think it's time to step it up a little. With retubing and my Eminence speaker it sounds very good to me, but when I really crank it it sounds a little "boxy;" I don't know how else to describe it. I feel like the cab size is causing this, rather than the amp's tone. I'm just trying to get too much bass out of a small enclosure. At around 2 on the post gain it sounds epic though. But where I live now, I can crank it for all its worth; there's nobody to be bothered.
Boss HM-2

Last edited by KailM : 11-19-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Kikuta
Grim and Frostbitten

The stock 5150 cab is one of my most loathed cabs ever. Cannot stand it in any situation whatsoever. It's cheap on the used market, sure, but it is nothing short of fucking terrible to me. If there's absolutely nothing else available in that price range you may as well get it since they'll hold their value when you're ready to sell it and move on to a cab that doesn't sound like a trolls arsehole.
Kikuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I was going to suggest a trick if you had the 212 but as you have the 112 and intend to replace it with a head it's moot, get a 4x12. The 5150 cabs are ok if you are going to be replacing the drivers.
2x12's are for paupers and spider monkeys that have never heard of a trolley.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
amatas83
VA shred head

Personally I like my 5150 Cab that I got. they are obviously similar to the 6505 cabs. Good low end on them not overly flabby or muddy on the bottom and aside from it being a darker cab I like it. Worked nice with my VK which is why I got it since I had played a VK with a 6505 cab at my local store and then sought out the Sheffield Peavey cabs. So depending on the sound you are looking for you probably won't be too dissapointed and that's a good deal.
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
amatas83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

The head is what makes this deal really. It all depends on what model. Find out and post it here, I'm fairly versed in random Peavey stuff nobody's really heard of
The 5150 cabs are meh, it's a cab but it's not anything special.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuta
The stock 5150 cab is one of my most loathed cabs ever. Cannot stand it in any situation whatsoever. It's cheap on the used market, sure, but it is nothing short of fucking terrible to me. If there's absolutely nothing else available in that price range you may as well get it since they'll hold their value when you're ready to sell it and move on to a cab that doesn't sound like a trolls arsehole.

Well, is it terrible because of the speakers or because of the cab design/construction itself? Because if it sounds bad because of the speakers, that's not that big of a deal to me; I'll eventually put better speakers in it. A lot of people say they hate the speaker that came with my 6505+ 112, but I didn't mind it. It's just a dark-voiced and lower-mid oriented speaker. My Governor is better, but not like night and day better.

If that cab is no good no matter what I put in it, then I'd definitely prefer to steer clear.

But I'd like to get an accurate assessment here...
Boss HM-2
Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I was going to suggest a trick if you had the 212 but as you have the 112 and intend to replace it with a head it's moot, get a 4x12. The 5150 cabs are ok if you are going to be replacing the drivers.
2x12's are for paupers and spider monkeys that have never heard of a trolley.

Now I have to state here that I don't mind a little weight. If the cab weighs 100 pounds, I could pick it up and carry it wherever it needs to go; weight isn't the issue. The issue I have with 412s is the size; they're often difficult to put into a car or truck. I was hoping to get a big, massive/scary sound out of a 212 but if you say it can't be done...

Anyway, how would an oversized 212 cab sound compared to my existing combo's enclosure? Surely it would be a vast improvement, no?
Boss HM-2

Rate This Thread: