Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
kwj2104

New Guitar Advice

Dear UG,

I'm a first time guitar buyer, and since it's black friday, I've decided to try to get something while places like Musicianfriend have discounts. I really want to learn fingerstyle, similar to artists like Tommy Emmanual, Thomas Leeb, Andy McKee etc. I've read the beginner buyer's guide, but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice particularly regarding what I should look for for a fingerpicked guitar. Do I need to look for a special build, or particular type of strings, etc.?

Thank you very much for any advice!
kwj2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

a little wider nut and string space is nice for fingerpicking. try for 1 3/4" at the nut (a little wider isn't a bad thing, either) rather than the more common 1 11/16" or 1 5/8". a lot of smaller guitars have a slightly wider nut as does the seagull original s6 and some other seagulls. you don't mention a price, but the s6 is definitely worth a look.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
kwj2104

Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely looking into the S6. I'm just as a whole not sure if a guitar for fingerpicking is drastically different than a normal one.

Should I look in the classical/nylon string section?

Last edited by kwj2104 : 11-23-2012 at 04:00 AM.
kwj2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Lord Kamina
Not an engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwj2104
Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely looking into the S6. I'm just as a whole not sure if a guitar for fingerpicking is drastically different than a normal one.

Should I look in the classical/nylon string section?

If you like Classical/nylons, yes. If you prefer Acoustics, no.
Lord Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

a guitar for fingerpicking is a normal guitar - i do all my strumming on guitars with wider nuts and it works great.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: