Search:

View Poll Results: Topic^
Alienware M14x 39 54.93%
Apple Macbook pro 13" 32 45.07%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
purplexing
Rock n' Roll idealist

why do mac haters always use the "you could have a more powerful computer, therefore Macs are worthless" argument. It's obvious that mac users buy them because of the software, which can't be achieved on a windows.

OP depends how you feel about MacOS. I love it therefore, the macbook is less overpriced to me, but there are people who only care about power so they would say that the Alienware is less overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -[NiL]-
I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
purplexing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #22
Mudmen190
Galactic Bounthunterrrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by archenemyfan
Build my own laptop?!

Get to work, champ.

TIME CONSUMING

CONSUME ME

Mudmen190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #23
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

TS: why on earth are you thinking of getting an Alienware if you don't want to do any gaming? Isn't that pretty much the point of them? You are really wasting money on unneccessary hardware if you're not going to game on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplexing
why do mac haters always use the "you could have a more powerful computer, therefore Macs are worthless" argument. It's obvious that mac users buy them because of the software, which can't be achieved on a windows.

OP depends how you feel about MacOS. I love it therefore, the macbook is less overpriced to me, but there are people who only care about power so they would say that the Alienware is less overpriced.

It's not "you could have a more powerful computer", it's "you could have a laptop just as good in specs as a Mac for a lot less". The point on software I guess is less clear cut, but generally I think you can get software just as good and functional (and in many cases, the same - iTunes, Safari, Paintshop etc) as Apple's on a laptop.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
Ian_the_fox
Banned

It depends. Do you want a $1500 gaming machine, or $1500 Facebook machine?

Normally I'm against Alienware desktops because you can custom-build a machine for much less that's more powerful and doesn't have unnecessary shit on it. But since we're talking laptops, I'd say go with an Alienware.

Most run-of-the-mill brands (Lenovo, Dell, Acer, etc.) tend to pre install their machines with unnessacary programs that take up space, and have shitty versions of Windows.

Plus the graphics cards often times don't have independent video memory/shaders, whereas on the Alienware machines I've looked at, they do, surprisingly.

Avoid Apple every which way possible, unless you want to look like a pretentious liberal hipster.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #25
L2112Lif
UG Board King

If you're gonna get an Alienware laptop remember that ice is your friend. You best buy a walk-in freezer for whenever you feel like using it.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/NSattelites

Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/l2112lif

Bandcamp: tfmonkey.bandcamp.com/
L2112Lif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
Well do you want to support Chinese mass suicide or not?

I guess they installed nets for when they jump out of the Apple factory. but whatever.
Alienware computers also use Foxconn hardware.

Fail.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #27
scottamus prime

If you just want to throw money around to show that you got it like that get the Mac. It is still possible to buy a mac for no reason and not look like an absolute douche. That boat sailed for alienware back in 02.
scottamus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
Jacques-Henri

Frankly, I would recommend an ASUS. Really good, just a lot of bloatware to sift through. Just spend an afternoon going through all the superfluous crap and you're good to go!
Jacques-Henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #29
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

Quote:
I know both are overpriced, but which is more worth the money? I'm not planning on playing any games on either but alienwares (afaik) have superb build quality and look quite sublime.

Get an Asus.

http://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-S400...s=asus+vivobook

14 inch touch screen ultrabook with an i5 for 699.

Or for 1225 you could get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834230617

And both look hell of a lot better than alienware. They both actually have a pretty similar aesthetic as a macbook.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
eGraham
Green and Submarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullivan
Just get an ASUS and be delighted for the rest of your life.

**** ASUS.

Build your own computer, or buy a Dell. It's the only way you won't get ripped off. And I recommend the former option.

And again, **** ASUS.

October 23, 2014
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #31
archenemyfan
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
It depends. Do you want a $1500 gaming machine, or $1500 Facebook machine?

Normally I'm against Alienware desktops because you can custom-build a machine for much less that's more powerful and doesn't have unnecessary shit on it. But since we're talking laptops, I'd say go with an Alienware.

Most run-of-the-mill brands (Lenovo, Dell, Acer, etc.) tend to pre install their machines with unnessacary programs that take up space, and have shitty versions of Windows.

Plus the graphics cards often times don't have independent video memory/shaders, whereas on the Alienware machines I've looked at, they do, surprisingly.

Avoid Apple every which way possible, unless you want to look like a pretentious liberal hipster.

1500$ Facebook/Sound engineering machine

Also what I don't like about like about other brands Acer, dell etc etc. is that they feel flimsy and poorly built. I'm sure they're very sturdy but it's not appealing when it's made up of crappy looking plastic.

edit: It sounds like I'm being a blind fanboy, but all of that is based off of experience. so idk

My friend has an Alienware and it's really well built, thats why I've been considering getting one.

Last edited by archenemyfan : 11-19-2012 at 04:57 PM.
archenemyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #32
idk_idk

HP and asus make good spec laptops that will be slightly better value for money, but meh.
I think the alienware will be better value for money (if that term is even applicable to alienware) due to the specs.
I will never go near an apple computer, but if you like the software and user friendly feel, then its not a bad choice. I think if you are not going to game on your laptop, then go for the macbook, as its likely to have better battery life. My friends alienware seems to be always connected to its charger, even around college.
I have had a hp laptop for the past 3 years, it was originally for call of duty 4 which it still plays, but only on lowest settings. Now its mainly for note taking, and internet browsing.

If you are picking an alienware for the visual aesthetics, my advice would be to pass on it. You will regret how it looks in 6 months max. It's arguably cool for a few days, then its really silly looking.

What will you actually use the laptop for?
idk_idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #33
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

Quote:

Also what I don't like about like about other brands Acer, dell etc etc. is that they feel flimsy and poorly built. I'm sure they're very sturdy but it's not appealing when it's made up of crappy looking plastic.

My friend has an Alienware and it's really well built, thats why I've been considering getting one.

That's because Acer is trash. Look at those two Asus laptops I posted.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #34
Thrashtastic15
panthers season tickets

dell, lol

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
2 - 2 - 0
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #35
OddOneOut
UG's Essex Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
**** ASUS.

Build your own computer, or buy a Dell. It's the only way you won't get ripped off. And I recommend the former option.

And again, **** ASUS.

...A dell...

not sure if srs.
Everyone I know that's owned a dell has had it die within a year or two.

OddOneOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #36
Thrashtastic15
panthers season tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk_idk
HP and asus make good spec laptops that will be slightly better value for money, but meh.
I think the alienware will be better value for money (if that term is even applicable to alienware) due to the specs.
I will never go near an apple computer, but if you like the software and user friendly feel, then its not a bad choice. I think if you are not going to game on your laptop, then go for the macbook, as its likely to have better battery life. My friends alienware seems to be always connected to its charger, even around college.
I have had a hp laptop for the past 3 years, it was originally for call of duty 4 which it still plays, but only on lowest settings. Now its mainly for note taking, and internet browsing.

If you are picking an alienware for the visual aesthetics, my advice would be to pass on it. You will regret how it looks in 6 months max. It's arguably cool for a few days, then its really silly looking.

hp makes the shittiest laptops in history

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
2 - 2 - 0
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #37
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

Get a Sager or similar Clevo reseller.

so much better value.

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #38
eGraham
Green and Submarine

Wasn't serious. I just recommend people building their own lol.

Also I didn't pay much attention and now I see he's talking about a laptop, which is considerably harder to build. I've also never looked at Alienware laptop prices, so idk.

So all I do know is that I'll never buy another product from ASUS. They have the worst customer support I've ever dealt with. Absolutely infuriating.

October 23, 2014
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #39
archenemyfan
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk_idk

Just work, mixing, surfing the internet and stuff like that.

Also the keyboard and touchpad HAS to be good. That's a top priority.
archenemyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #40
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Can't argue that. Probably the only reason I can ever imagine myself getting a Mac Pro is for recording/mixing. Logic is easily one of the best DAW's out there.

But still, if I were going to spend $1500 on any PC, laptop or build, I'd want it to do a lot more.

Rate This Thread: