View Poll Results: Topic^
Alienware M14x 39 54.93%
Apple Macbook pro 13" 32 45.07%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #61
Skullivan
EG Fan aka Bandwagoner

lul, comptuzorz battelz

I have a Dell, and it works fine. The only reason I reccomend ASUS over Dell is because Dell overprices their machines extremely. ASUS is slightly better. Almost half of my self-built PC's parts are ASUS, and I'm happy with it.

I also second the "HP sucks" statement. Just...don't.
Originally Posted by jazz-rock-feel
How damaging is it for a trans person to be referred to the incorrect gender as a child?
I don't see how it would be damaging. I got called C-dog for a number of years despite not being a dog. I turned out alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickel_w
PRS is not enough
Skullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #62
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Get an ASUS ultrabook and be done with it.

Here is the failure rate of laptops by brand over a 3 year period.

Last edited by TunerAddict : 11-19-2012 at 06:46 PM.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #63
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Get Toshiba, they last really well.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #64
DimebagLivesOn
S A D B O Y S

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
**** ASUS.

Build your own computer, or buy a Dell. It's the only way you won't get ripped off. And I recommend the former option.

And again, **** ASUS.

Recommending Dell and hating on ASUS? Have much have you had to drink tonight, sir?
DimebagLivesOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #65
FearMyLightning
Banned

Asus? Asus makes good laptops I think. Other than that if it were me I'd probably get whichever has the longest battery life.
FearMyLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #66
Kylianvb
doesn't like mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS LEAD 5
Both are overpriced, but if you are going to compare just these two, the sort of hardware Apple gives at so-and-so dollars, Alienware gives the same at about 1/2-3/4's the price.

Yes.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #67
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

Is HP really that bad? Mine came with a ton of pre-installed crapware that no-one needs, but the hardware was decent at the time. It's over 4 years old and works fine, but I guess I just got lucky. Everyone says HP sucks but no-one says why.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #68
CoreysMonster
Banned

With Apple you can always hack Alienware.

Geddit?
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #69
chatterbox272

ugh...
So. Much. Stupidity... Must. Refuse. Urge. To. Reply. To. Every. Post...

TS, between Apple and Alienware it will basically come down to Mac or Windows. They're both overpriced as shit, Mac's are overpriced because they're an Apple product, Alienware is overpriced because it's associated with the word "Gaming", but they are both overpriced.

I think you should go to a computer store with a budget, and some hardware specs in mind (if you want advice on those, go to a computer forum. Store people will just try to sell you an i7 for facebooking). Then try everything that fits your specs and budget regardless of brand, maybe even try a few that are out of it so you can see what the difference it. Then go home, get on google, and research the model you liked most. Look for how common horror stories about it are. Look up the brand, look specifically for horror stories and see what the general idea is with their customer service. If you went to a computer forum for specs help, post on there to see what they think about it and whether there's anything better. Finally, once your happy with your choice, make the purchase. That should cover you for just about any brand problems, etc and minimize risks as much as possible. Then it's just luck of the draw.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #70
Thrashtastic15
panthers season tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashki
Is HP really that bad? Mine came with a ton of pre-installed crapware that no-one needs, but the hardware was decent at the time. It's over 4 years old and works fine, but I guess I just got lucky. Everyone says HP sucks but no-one says why.

I am posting from an HP laptop right now. The fan placement is horrid (why put it on the bottom) and I am propping it up with little packets of halls so it doesn't overheat. The battery life went completely to shit about a year ago, it pretty much has to be perpetually plugged in. I use it to watch videos on my TV and it can barely handle doing that competently. My experience is better than most experiences with an HP laptop receiving regular use probably. I had one before this and it crapped out in 6 months.

I would never buy an HP laptop myself. It was given to me as a gift, and complaining about a free laptop would be pretty faggy. But it's still shit. The fan placement is literally one of the stupidest things I've ever experienced. The only positive thing I could say about the two laptops I've had from them is that they looked nice and were, in fact, laptops. Other than that, I'd rather have a goddamn acer or something its that bad

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
9 - 8 - 2
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #71
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

Yeah, fan placement on mine is dumb. You literally have to take out everything just to clean out the fan. My old laptop is a Toshiba (which died a fiery death) which had a dedicated hatch on the bottom for fan access.

My HP is currently sitting on 4 bottlecaps for additional ventilation. It heats up a lot but I assume all laptops do, especially when playing games (some more than others).

Having said that, it's never stopped working. I've never had a BSOD or had to reinstall windows. I have confidence that I can save my work and turn it off, and it'll still work just as well tomorrow.

Last edited by sashki : 11-20-2012 at 04:58 AM.
sashki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #72
Thrashtastic15
panthers season tickets

theres heat up like a normal laptop, then heating up like an hp laptop. if i put it on my lap id probably be unable to have kids after a half hour. thing gets ridiculously hot, even if you do manage to gt around the major design flaw and keep the thing propped up. it still gets way too hot. it gets insanely hot if you use it like a regular laptop, if i use it in bed it overheats because my blanket sometimes blocks the fan (unavoidable). either way i could save some serious money and just browse theinternet on my lptop when i go to bed instead of turnig on the heat during the winter. so thats a plus i suppose

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
9 - 8 - 2
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #73
dr_shred
UG's Rock'n'Rolla

If your looking for a laptop for general use and mixing, go with the macbook pro. Theres a reason that apple is the industry standard (compatibility mainly), you can get all major daws on it and most of the big names in the daw world were designed for mac to begin with. if you want windows as well you could always install it on there.
make sure to buy extra ram if you go with the macbook pro, you can buy like 16gb for 80-100 on amazon. trust me you will appreciate the extra ram on big mixes.

If you want a laptop to do everything under the sun id probably go with an asus as opposed to the alienware. Since they got taken over they have dipped in reliability (they used to break often now its just expecting something to go wrong the next time you start it), you can still get pro tools ableton and i think cubase on the windows format so there are big players in the daw scene there, their just a bit buggier from my own experience.
Originally Posted by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
dr_shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #74
red_hot_chili18
Russian Circles.

Mesh?

www.fissureofriddles.bandcamp.com - Melodic Death Metal - buy our EP!!

PSN: BenGarbutt1989
red_hot_chili18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #75
macaroni
UG's Colourblind Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplexing
It's obvious that mac users buy them because of the software

Most Mac/Apple users I know buy it for the popularity/fashion statement.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #76
innertom
Registered Sex Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
Get Toshiba, they last really well.

this man knows his shit, listen to him.
or you can spend twice as much money to get a pretty case....
innertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #77
Tsar66
untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
That's because Acer is trash. Look at those two Asus laptops I posted.

i have an acer . works fine for me so
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #78
archenemyfan
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashki

I have an HP atm, and it gets really, really hot. Plus, the build quality isn't the greatest and the battery life is ridiculously bad, especially compared to my sisters mac.

Also, I've narrowed it down to the 13" macbook air and the ASUS zenbook prime:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834230671

Alienware is pretty much out of the equation, I re-evaluated my priorities and I realized that I wanted something light and portable.
archenemyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #79
EchoStrings

I suggest a Sinclair ZX81. I hear they're a new step into technology...
EchoStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #80
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by archenemyfan
Build my own laptop?!

You can custom order from ASUS, who makes much better quality for less than Alienware. If you want gaming power, check out their G series. Comparable prices for much more value.

I think you're tuning out the vast majority of other PC laptop makers because you think Alienware is a performance brand. There are plenty upon plenty of other laptop makers that will be better PCs for a better price. And yes, you can order them custom, or 'build it' online and order it.

Why would you be looking at the Mac, out of curiosity?

Instead of just throwing up two brands and letting people shitstorm, tell us what you want to use the computer for and how, then we'll be able to give you the best fit.

Personally, I'm a Vaio guy. I just bought a new Vaio about 2 months ago. My Vaio before that I bought in 2007. It's still alive, and still works just fine. I wanted the 3rd gen i7 and a Blu-Ray player, though. That's the only reason I switched, honestly. They're durable and fast. Dig 'em.

BUCKY

Last edited by JustRooster : 11-20-2012 at 10:35 AM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: