Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
The_Musician321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
But sometimes the dopes are the ones who don't understand the value of what they have!

I'd like to say that I got my G-400 from CL. This is absolutely the case. Lady wasn't a dope but she definetly didn't know what she had. She asked for 200, and I talked her down to 125 after I saw the neck pick-up was, what I thought, pushed through the cavity. All I had to do was adjust it with the screw. So I got a pretty decent G-400 practically brand new which retails for almost 400. Only other time I made a CL purchase was an Ibanez bass which I was also happy with.
The_Musician321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Whenever I got to look at a guitar I always bring my Boss Micro BR, a cord, and headphones so I can check the guitar out in case an amp is not available.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #23
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
But sometimes the dopes are the ones who don't understand the value of what they have!

you missed my point.

someone who doesn't understand value and an idiot who won't be where you are supposed to meet are two different things.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
you missed my point.

someone who doesn't understand value and an idiot who won't be where you are supposed to meet are two different things.

True dat. Luckily I haven't had any issues with no-shows yet.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
Huge Guy

Another pet peave of mine (and this applies to ebay, too) is people who list crappy Squiers as "Fender." They need a mod who goes though and deletes those type of ads.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #26
The_Musician321

CL has reporting ads, and Ebay has the seller rating. Pretty good ways of keeping the mob some what intelligent about things they post.
The_Musician321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #27
SteveHOC
Used Register

I've had pretty good experiences thus far using Craigslist. I've always been able to trade up and make the best out of seemingly goofy buying and selling transactions.

I think the worst part of selling on Craigslist is the general sense I get that most people are either illiterate or too lazy to read. I have a guitar listed currently that clearly states that I am not looking to do any direct trading, but would consider shaving some off the price if the buyer has one of the pedals I have listed. Thus far today I've gotten an offer for an iPad and a baritone guitar - though I have clearly stated that I'm not looking to pick up more stuff that I simply won't use. No matter how clearly you state it, people see an ad and think, "great, I can get that guy to take my junk, wakka, wakka".

I don't really mind people haggling with me, though I really try to be fair in my pricing of the things I sell. I've taken to pricing up some gear just because I want the seller to have the sense that they've "won" the bargaining and are getting a good deal. It's really manifested the manipulator in me I suppose.

Transversely, my wife, who has only sold on Craigslist a couple of times, has taken to playing buyers against each other. She's a photographer and occasionally sells her old gear, so she'll make the deal with two different buyers, tell the buyer about their competition, and basically whoever shows up first gets the equipment. I'm always with her when she does this, as I could see it being a bit of an ugly situation, but it seems to have worked for her in the past.

Everyone likes getting a good deal, beating the tax, and feeling like a winner or an expert seller. It's a shame that there are some who abuse Craigslist and use it to con people or for violent reasons, but such is the nature of our world. Always meet in a public place, always have someone waiting in the car with you, or at least meet in the daylight near a street where there are witnesses. Anything short of that and you can only blame yourself if something goes awry. Hell, I'm pretty sure my next meeting will be in front of a police station, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind a little proactive thinking.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #28
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Another pet peave of mine (and this applies to ebay, too) is people who list crappy Squiers as "Fender." They need a mod who goes though and deletes those type of ads.

This also drives me nuts. There are also the folks who list a "Gibson" for $1 just to get you to check the ad, then it turns out to be an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I could slap someone.

I had a guy try to do a trade with me the other day with his Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty - a $5,000 guitar. When I basically called him nuts and said I couldn't in good conscience do the trade, he informed me that the guitar was a Chinese copy with Gibson on the headstock. I have since seen the guitar listed as a Gibson on Craigslist and only when you read through his ad does he disclose that the guitar is a copy. Talk about fine-print.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #29
jjfeu662
Celestia

Some guy wanted $200 for that Bronze Series Warlock that only has one pickup. What do they call those and how much are they new?
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #30
ConcertShooter
Banned

My experience has been good overall with Craigslist. Have gotten some good items and deals. However, here is my latest experience and post on CL as relates to an Epiphone Dot listed for sale. One just needs to be prudent and careful just as in other areas of life.

re: Cherry Red Epiphone Dot (with case) - $350 (Mobile)
http://mobile.craigslist.org/msg/3423271058.html

Jonny Lang

Last edited by ConcertShooter : 11-20-2012 at 07:28 PM.
ConcertShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #31
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i really don't get any lowballers. i just ignore or say a respectful no and maybe (maybe) make a counter offer (maybe 10% less than you have it listed at). some of them want the gear and just think you are stupid. i have had somebody offer me half then i talked him up and we agreed at 80% and we were both happy. that was just once though. and selling car parts, those bring in a different game than the musicians.

i avoid the lowballers by saying something like "i am open to offers but they must be reasonable, however i do not need to sell this at the time, so i may not go lower than the listed price.

however if you need money that doesn't work.

always sell 10-20% more than your minimum. you want $420 and list it at that and somebody gets you down to $400 or $390 or something and think they have the good end of the deal and you are both happy.

the most trouble i have ever had happened twice. both were multi-item trades, and one had cash involved. one was selling tools for a $2000 ludwig shell set. we moved tools back and fourth and some i didn't really have a number on and we just eventually got it to what we both thought was fair.

the other one was i traded a JCA50head and a shitty 2x12" (paid $300 for both) plus a cheaper guitar (maybe valued at $400. i got a $2000 custom shop hand hammered copper snare, a 5000 series two leg hihat stand, A zildjian 13" hi-hats a 16" and 18" a custom crashes a 10" sabian splash, and a DW5000 double bass pedal and a snare case. i got the good end there but things were constantly going back and fourth. he sure got shafted, but it was his ignorance to not know what you are selling and buying.

for a while i was doing multiple a day but in the last 6 months or so maybe two a month. i made IIRC ~$12000 profit and increased asset (gear) in 2011 over probably 30 trades. for example, another was a MIM tele for a tama starclassic maple set and an extra pearl steel shell snare. $250 guitar probably $1200 drumset.

i have had in my posession to date 60+ guitars. own probably 22, and i have at least a dozen amps, most quite decent.

you just gotta do it. and take your time and be patient. i will let an item sit for months sometimes, but somebody always buys it.

Sweet, thanks for the input. Sounds like you're basically running business with just CL. That's pretty cool.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #32
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
True dat. Luckily I haven't had any issues with no-shows yet.

you don't see that as much with musical instruments. sometimes, but it's more common with cars and stuff.

again that's why i make sure to talk to someone over the phone, it's more personal than text or email. as slight as it is, it is some rapport. people then don't want to be "that guy" quite as much once you've spoken with them.

the main thing is when you see something you want and it's listed low, you jump on it. i live in chicago, and there are a lot of clist regulars that are looking to snipe stuff up fast. at times i've been the lucky sniper, other times not.

if you do it right, you can basically get your gear paid for over time. like "trashedlostfdup" pretty much all the gear i own right now has been bought off of profit made in trades and such.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #33
JustRooster
Organ Donor

When people haggle with greg, he sprays them with the hose and yells to get off his lawn.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #34
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
When people haggle with greg, he sprays them with the hose and yells to get off his lawn.

Hopefully, that isn't a euphemism for something else...

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #35
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #36
FenrirFangs

I love my local CL man. I troll it constantly and have gotten some great deals. Mesa 2x12 w/ V30s for $175, a Gibson Studio Les Paul and Marshall JCM 900 4x12 together for $600, Jet City JCA100h for $400, bunch of cheap pedals, Peavey Ultra Plus for $200, Ibanez RG2EX1 w/ Blackouts and a hardshell case for $140. And I just missed an Axe-FX for $1000.

Craigslist is freaking awesome for buying used gear. I've only ever had one "bad" experience, and it wasn't really bad, it was simply that I passed on what I went to look at. It was a Laney AOR with a matching cab, and it wasn't working well. But other than that, most guys are just people that want to sell their stuff, same as you.
FenrirFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #37
zilant

I've had fairly good experiences on craigslist. Bought and sold gear as well as a few other things. The only time I had anything close to a problem was when I was (Still am /shameless plug) selling my 5150.
He came to my house and didn't really sound like he knew anything about the amp. After a discussing price we finally settled and he said he would come back the next dy because the banks were already closed and he didn't have cash on hand.
He calls me the next day claiming to have found another 5150 with a footswitch (I don't have one) at guitar center that was listed cheaper than mine. He then asked if i would lower the price. I told him no and he backed out and said he wouldn't do the trade. I was fine with that.
Then he called later that evening saying that he wanted to make the trade and that he would be there in a bit so I got everything ready and waited. and waited. and waited. The guy never showed, never called or returned my calls, and I never heard from him again.

It was more rude than anything but was not what I would consider a "horrible" experience by any means.

All in all though, I have had very positive experiences on craigslist. I wish I had sufficient knowledge of the price of gear so I could buy and sell on CL to fund other things I want.

I'm sure it's been said here already but with CL you can find some very good deals and sometimes it's the only way to get ahold of certain pieces of gear but you need to be prepared and most of all you need to be patient.
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #38
Huge Guy

To be fair most of my experiences have been very positive. For example I recently got an Epi LP Studio with hard case for $200 and a Peavy Raptor EXP with a 15w Spider for $50, I believe that one was a fire sale. I didn't need the amp so just relisted it on CL and sold it for $30 within a few days.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #39
diskothek
Baby casserole

Never had a bad experience on CL. Always ask for pictures and a few questions about details (1st or 2nd owner, been gigged or not, any superficial or mechanical/electronic damage). Recently I've revamped my entire rig and did it exclusively through CL ads.

Traded my old Jackson for a Schecter which I enjoy playing much more. We both made out well since he loves Jacksons (had 4 others at his house).

Traded in my old MG250DFX for cash at GC and used money I had been saving for a while for a Peavey VTM 120 head ($270) and Orange 2x12 w/ V30's ($400). The guy selling the Peavey head set up a practice room for me to test play which was very generous of him to do. And the guy selling the Orange cab drove us to a local shop for a speaker cable since he didn't have one on hand so I could try it out and tossed it in as part of the deal.

A while ago when I was still playing bass in a band I needed an entire rig badly and got a 4x12 cab, Korg rackmount tuner and Ampeg head all for $300. When I left the band and got focused on guitar again I made a profit off the sale.
diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #40
Huge Guy

By the way if you aren't sure the value of something I've found the best way to check is to look at the completed listings on ebay. This will show you what people are really paying for things.

Rate This Thread: