User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Squire VM J vs Fender Std J

Which one do/would you prefer and why?

How do the pickups compare (noise, output)? How does the hardware compare in quality?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

I'll assume you refer to the mexican standard.

This is a discussion that's already been made (more than once) and you'll find people like me that will tell you that both are paired as far as quality, and therefore the VM is better (better price/quality ratio) and you'll find people that say the mim is slightly better and stuff. supposedly you can find gems and lemons in both models, yet i'm to find a Squier VM lemon. For me it's aesthetic and price difference. I also found the character of the sound of the VM better, since it's brighter....

It's really down to personal preference, but for me quality wise, they're both equall. They are somewhat different one from each other, and there's your preference to pick the one you like the most. As far as pickups, i can't really tell if the VM's pups are better than the mim's, but i liked the overall sound of the VM better.

Hope this helps something

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, more just looking for opinions than straight up facts, I know as far as guitars go there's a lot of debate as to which is better between Squire VM and Fender MIM.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

I have both a VM and MIM instrument. Both are worlds apart in terms of quality and tone. Especially recently with the MIM getting less attention from Fender.

My MIM Jazz V needed a new bridge, refret, and electronics from the factory. I couldn't return since I bought from Japan and the return shipping would of cost me $150. So I dropped another $450 into that money pit. It plays okay but the neck so unstable during humid days that it never leaves the climate control room that it's in.

On the other hand is my VM Jaguar Special which is a great bass although the neck finish went bad on me. It was also my modding platform so I could have cheap hot rodded 4 string bass. Not many things to say about it when it was stock since the pickups were good for being non-Duncan Designed.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
Spaz91
Turd polisher

I've had plenty of both and high end Squiers blow MIM Fenders out of the water.

With the £200 difference between the two, you can a load of nice mods (including a Fender headstock decal which is probably the only reason anyone buys MIM Standards.)
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Tostitos
Barely Awake

How about some CV love?

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
How about some CV love?

What's CV? Is there a J bass with a maple fretboard in that line?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 11-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
dexterborg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
I've had plenty of both and high end Squiers blow MIM Fenders out of the water.

With the £200 difference between the two, you can a load of nice mods (including a Fender headstock decal which is probably the only reason anyone buys MIM Standards.)

Couldn't agree more
dexterborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
What's CV? Is there a J bass with a maple fretboard in that line?

CV means classic vibe, the flagship series of Squier; the CV Jazz being the best vale passive jazz that money can buy (so long as you're okay with a rosewood board and lacquered neck.) Sadly, the only Squier Jazzes with maple necks are the Vintage Modified 70s and 77 but both are really good value.

To back up my opinions/experience:

VM Jazz

CV Precision

Fender/Squier Halfbreed

VM Precision

Highway 1 Jazz

Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Spaz91
Turd polisher

MIJ 51 Reissue

MIM Fender Jazz

Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V

MIM Fender Jazz V

MIA Fender Jazz FL

MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe

/showing off

Give me the money to buy a Mexican Fender and I'll buy 2 Squiers instead.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
_ThePanda_
Noob of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
...Give me the money to buy a Mexican Fender and I'll buy 2 Squiers instead.

+1 to this.

I love my Squier VM Jazz to death. I like the smooth neck of the polyuerthane (I tried to spell it..) neck.
_ThePanda_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Worth noting that in my experience, in the same sense that the CV/VM Squiers are leaps and bounds ahead of the standard affinities, the reissue MIM's are leaps and bounds ahead of the MIM standards. I used to own a killer sunburst/rosewood 70's reissue MIM. Regret selling it.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
MatrixClaw
UG God

Went and tried 8-10 different Jazz basses from the Squier VM to the Fender USA Deluxe, and IMO, the VM was fairly comparable to the MIA Standard. The MIA Jazz sounded better, sure, but it also cost 4 times as much, and it certainly wasn't worth four times as much as the VM was... With a pickup upgrade, the VM would've smoked it.

Attention to detail on the MIA Jazz was a little better, but again, nothing that would bring the cost of the bass anywhere close to $1200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #14
Spaz91
Turd polisher

I have to ask, why do people still buy Fenders? They're almost as bad as Gibson with their prices and we have Lakland, Sandberg, Bass Collection and even SX.

(I say this as someone who has spent way to much money in the past simply for that ****ing headstock decal.)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #15
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

I think the AM standards from the 2008-2011 period are pretty damn good. I've owned three USA Fenders and played a hell of a lot more and I think if you get a good one then they're really great instruments. Problem is they're not all great. I wouldn't blame anyone for comparing my old 97 Precision to a CV Squier but my 2010 Jazz is worlds ahead. It should be for the money, but I'd go as far as to say it's the best bass I've ever played. It's come up against a Sadowsky and won. It truly is better than many basses even more expensive. I got really lucky to own one this good, but I guess that's where the problem is. I picked up a 2012 AM standard in the limited edition finish the other week and it was just crap. Should you you have to try before you buy in order to filter out bad eggs on such an expensive instrument? Probably not... but if you do, you can end up with a seriously good bass. I also think we can apply the whole "it costs 4x as much but isn't 4x better" thing to near enough any commercial product. It's simply the law of diminishing returns, so lets not get too carried away with that one... Fender are no worse than anyone for that.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #16
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I also think we can apply the whole "it costs 4x as much but isn't 4x better" thing to near enough any commercial product. It's simply the law of diminishing returns, so lets not get too carried away with that one... Fender are no worse than anyone for that.

I always think of this when people compare mirange instruments with the crème of the crème. High end basses won't be 4X (or 5x or 10x) better than a midrange, or good lo range products... But it doesn't mean that no one ever should get a high end instrument, or if you have the chance you shouldn't do it.

VM's are great though, and i prefer them to CV's since the later doesn't have maple fretboard option.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I think the AM standards from the 2008-2011 period are pretty damn good. I've owned three USA Fenders and played a hell of a lot more and I think if you get a good one then they're really great instruments. Problem is they're not all great. I wouldn't blame anyone for comparing my old 97 Precision to a CV Squier but my 2010 Jazz is worlds ahead. It should be for the money, but I'd go as far as to say it's the best bass I've ever played. It's come up against a Sadowsky and won. It truly is better than many basses even more expensive. I got really lucky to own one this good, but I guess that's where the problem is. I picked up a 2012 AM standard in the limited edition finish the other week and it was just crap. Should you you have to try before you buy in order to filter out bad eggs on such an expensive instrument? Probably not... but if you do, you can end up with a seriously good bass. I also think we can apply the whole "it costs 4x as much but isn't 4x better" thing to near enough any commercial product. It's simply the law of diminishing returns, so lets not get too carried away with that one... Fender are no worse than anyone for that.

I see your point but there are very few gigging-level brands that you have to factor "luck of the draw" into and (don't get me wrong, Leo Fender's designs are the best) is it really worth paying so much for so little innovation? Fender's best series have been, in my opinion, the Highway One series because you got what you paid for rather than what you paid for minus-the-privilege-of-being-made-in-the-USA.

Obviously there is a Factor of what exactly you want in a bass, I would never tell someone who is happy with their Fender that it is crap or bad value for money but I would always advise against buying a Fender aside from maybe the American Special series (the replacement of the Highway One.)

I keep rambling and losing track of what I'm saying because coffee.

The best example I can think of is comparing the Mexican Fender Precision to the Sandberg Electra VS4, both are £450ish and both are made outside the EU and the USA. However, the Sandberg comes with a much chunkier bridge, a 2 band EQ (active/passive), a six bolt neck and a full set up in their German factory (Similar to the American Special which goes for twice the price.) All the Mexican Fenders offer are a wider range of colours and fretboard material, at these prices the cuts aren't going to be great anyway so the basswood/maple difference is going to be minimal.

Another example is a personal one, I'll admit these are very different basses from the start. A few years ago, I bought a second hand (mid 2000s) MIA Fender for £500 which I thought was a bargain. I was certainly content with it but at the same time it felt like I should have paid that much new. Last year I bought a Warwick Corvette $$ Ash for the same price but this time I felt lucky every time I picked it up, I was priveleged to have a bass of that quality with the wealth of features for that price. (Am I right in saying these two basses are roughly the same price these days?)

MMmmmmmore coffee.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
Tostitos
Barely Awake

I would never recommend an American Special, they have nothing on HW1s. Every one i've played has been nothing but disappointmemt.

Squier VMs and CVs are great. Some MIM Standards are better, and used they aren't a bad value. Classic and RW MIMs are even nicer and MIA Standards and Deluxes are nicer still. There's good Fenders at every probe point, and there's lots of good alternatives (I'm looking at you Lakland Skyline and boutique super Fenders). I can't fathom why there's any argument (besides coffee)

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
Spaz91
Turd polisher

No argument, just blurting out related words.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #20
ddhm

From what I understand, the guy that used to run the Fender custom shop is now running Squire. From what I've seen, the new Squires are much better than they have been in recent years.

I've had a look at a couple recently and I've found that the bridges on the new Squires is better than the American Fenders and the pick ups aren't as nice.

The wood is comparable on both if not nicer on the Squires. I like the Squires now but I'd change out the pick ups.
ddhm is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: