Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanHendrix
Do not listen to this TS, I started playing with a Vox pathfinder solid state practice amp, It was a fine practice amp, and while I now have tube amps I still use that amp for home practice. You can find perfectly acceptable beginner amps below $350.

Agreed, you don't need $2k worth of gear when you are first starting out! I'd just avoid starter kits you see at Wal-Mart, Best Buy etc. Those will frustrate you for sure.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #22
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanHendrix
Do not listen to this TS, I started playing with a Vox pathfinder solid state practice amp, It was a fine practice amp, and while I now have tube amps I still use that amp for home practice. You can find perfectly acceptable beginner amps below $350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
Agreed, you don't need $2k worth of gear when you are first starting out! I'd just avoid starter kits you see at Wal-Mart, Best Buy etc. Those will frustrate you for sure.

Well, I did say a $350 Fender Champ would be OK.

But you can also spend almost $600 and get garbage: http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHMGCFSTACK. Many here would argue that even $1000+ tube hybrid amps suck.

Not all solid states are garbage. VOX is probably the best for lower-end amps. Most of the time I play thru a $150 5 watt Solid State VOX DA5, but I'm playing that thru a $200 Digitech RP355...it doesn't sound as good without something like that. Plus the DA5 is discontinued and the replacement product sounds like a tin can.

So yeah, my Marshall tube amp doesn't see much action at home, but my Marshall MG (first amp) was a pure waste of money, and if I hadn't picked up an MFX pedal and a keyboard amp to play it thru, I probably would have given up long before I got the gigging tube rig or the current practice rig.

The point is stay away from all "Starter amps", from the ones that come with guitars, to anything that says MG or Spider, and almost anything 15watts or less unless it's all tube.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 11-19-2012 at 10:35 PM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #23
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Don't bother asking for an electric unless you can get a good amp with it. A crappy amp (like any Line 6 Spider or Marshall MG...most solid states, come to think of it) will take all the fun out of it.

So unless there's a $350 - $2,000 budget for a good amp to go with the guitar, then you're better off with sticking to acoustic if you can stand it (I played acoustic for a couple of months, bought an electic because they sound cooler, and will never go back--electrics are so much more versatile and ergonomic). Most good amps are tube. You're probably looking more like $600 for a good tube amp, but a Fender Champ could be an OK starter.

I'd like to see KG6_Steven whammy dive with his acoustic

This is one of those things where everyone is unique. $2000 is a good budget for an amp, but I can tell you that, even with the amps I have here, I still prefer to play acoustic. I have four amps in this room - two of them were $2000 each, the other was $3000 and the last is a cheapie Peavey Valveking 112, which has been retubed. When I do play the amps, the el cheapo Peavey sees just as much use as the expensive hand-wired, hand-built amps.

Personally, I think acoustic sounds better - the tone is warmer and richer. To me, electric guitars are thin sounding - especially when doing rhythm work. I still occasionally pull down one of my electrics and warm up the tubes - no SS amps here. I can't stand the sound of a SS amp - and I don't want to get into a debate about tubes vs. SS. It's a personal choice and that's my choice. Something to think about is I have some nice, high-end guitars and amps, and I still prefer the tone of an acoustic over electric.

So, what does all this mean? Decide for yourself what you like. The fact is, you've only been playing a short while and your "ears" still haven't developed. If you decide to buy an electric for Christmas, chances are pretty good you won't know what to ask for. The guitar you end up receiving won't be the one you want and in a few years, you'll realize it was a bad choice and end up trading it for the one that really has the tone you love. Go to your local guitar store and try some on for size.

You're right... no whammy dive with any of my acoustics. However, I can always pull down one of my electrics and use them.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #24
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Well, I did say a $350 Fender Champ would be OK.

But you can also spend almost $600 and get garbage: http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHMGCFSTACK. Many here would argue that even $1000+ tube hybrid amps suck.

Not all solid states are garbage. VOX is probably the best for lower-end amps. Most of the time I play thru a $150 5 watt Solid State VOX DA5, but I'm playing that thru a $200 Digitech RP355...it doesn't sound as good without something like that. Plus the DA5 is discontinued and the replacement product sounds like a tin can.

So yeah, my Marshall tube amp doesn't see much action at home, but my Marshall MG (first amp) was a pure waste of money, and if I hadn't picked up an MFX pedal and a keyboard amp to play it thru, I probably would have given up long before I got the gigging tube rig or the current practice rig.

The point is stay away from all "Starter amps", from the ones that come with guitars, to anything that says MG or Spider, and almost anything 15watts or less unless it's all tube.

My point is like the person above says, when you are first starting out you have to develop your ears and it's not so important, really, what your first gear is.

I don't think the OP's mom is planning on spending more than a couple of hundred bucks on a gift.

My first guitar and amp was a high school graduation present, I got a Lyon by Washburn guitar (HSH, haven't seen one like it since) and a 60w Crate solid state amp which was about $200 at the time. I used these all through college, didn't upgrade anything till I had a job after I graduated.

It was definitely the amp that made the difference with the sound, though. I had friend with Squiers and cruddy little amps that sounded so tinny.

Last edited by Huge Guy : 11-20-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #25
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
It was definitely the amp that made the difference with the sound, though. I had friend with Squiers and cruddy little amps that sounded so tinny.

And that's my point, too. I think the TS might even be OK with a Fender Mustang II or III amp. But I know too many people who likely quit because their amp pack amps, Frontman, Spiders, Bandits, MGs, Behringers, etc. sucked so bad.

BTW, a Squier guitar might not be bad to start with, if it means buying a better amp. My second guitar was a Squier Affinity (first was an MIA Strat). After a pro setup (including shimming the neck), and replacing the [broken] tuning pegs with locking tuners like they use in the MIA Deluxe Strats, it now plays just as well as the MIA Strat. And with aftermarket HH pickups and Deluxe S-1 electronics, is sounds a lot meaner, too--much better tone out of the Squier with half the investment. Just wish it had 22 frets and a 2-point trem. I got the Squier as a cheap travel guitar, but now after heavy modding, it's my favorite stage guitar over some other very nice guitars.

MIM Fenders have come a long way in the last 6 years, but when I bought the [made in China] Squier, it had much better build quality (but a worse setup) than the Mexican Strats. The frets were perfect--no overhang, unlike the sharp frets on the MIM Strats of the day. The bad neck angle was fixed easily enough with the pro-setup.

Thread-Starter: if you do get an electric guitar that costs less than $1,000, be prepared to spend $50 - $100 on a pro setup. Even most music stores don't do a good job setting up the guitars. Plus everything changes if you want to use thicker strings. You should find a reputable luthier or guitar tech to do the setup. A bad setup can make the guitar a lot harder to play.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #26
jacobtheimpaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHague
[QUOTE=jacobtheimpaler]
ARE WE THE LAST OF OUR KIND?!

OT: I second the drum notion. Or become a really awesome bassist, I don't know a lot of those either. Or get an electric guitar, or don't.

Basically, this should have been /thread:

I think we are man, its terrible but somebody has to do something to hold up songs amirite?
jacobtheimpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #27
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

pickup a used mexican strat for $250 and a 30 watt peavey vypyr and you should be fine (30 watt because it has a 12" speaker) ~$150? you would be fine for a while unless you are a gear wh0re like me.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 AM   #28
mepmep

Quote:
Don't bother asking for an electric unless you can get a good amp with it. A crappy amp (like any Line 6 Spider or Marshall MG...most solid states, come to think of it) will take all the fun out of it.

So unless there's a $350 - $2,000 budget for a good amp to go with the guitar, then you're better off with sticking to acoustic if you can stand it (I played acoustic for a couple of months, bought an electic because they sound cooler, and will never go back--electrics are so much more versatile and ergonomic). Most good amps are tube. You're probably looking more like $600 for a good tube amp, but a Fender Champ could be an OK starter.

I'd like to see KG6_Steven whammy dive with his acoustic

Definatly disagree. I started on acoustic as well and played for a year before I got my first electric for christmas. It was one of the happiest days of my life. it was $100 and it came with a 10 watt amp with only gain and tone controls. Started getting money at 13 just to be able to buy better equipment. Got legit jobs starting at 15 with the main focus on just getting better gear. 9 years later i've got professional grade equipment (although I'll probably always collect new goodies). Getting low quality stuff and making you work for better stuff makes you more responsible and mature. Plus when you get better equipment and see how your hard work has payed off because the new stuff is so much better you get so inspired to become even better.

But why you should get an electric, do it just cause. Buy a $100 peice of crap and if it doesn't inspire you to practice its only $100. But if you like blues, jazz, rock, or metal I can almost ensure you you'll want to practice. And you knows, tastes change, you may and probably will get into other kinds of music when youre older and want to try to play stuff like it.

Also if you ever stop feeling inspired you can switch to electric which is such a different pony. then if you ever stop feeling it playing electric just go back to playing acoustically for awhile.
mepmep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerguy
Or become a rhythm guitarist, I think they've gone extinct.

So true. There aren't many Izzy Stradlin wannabies out there. Fantastic guitarist.
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #30
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobtheimpaler
I play rhythm guitar...

May Tom Cruise bless you for it. I'm leaning that way as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #31
dannyalcatraz

FWIW, I prefer rhythm m'self.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #32
Axe Murderer

Quote:

I dont understand this. How can you play guitar and not play rhythm to some degree?
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #33
Supernaut2k
Blackmore Worshipper

Supernaut2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #34
JAHellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo
So true. There aren't many Izzy Stradlin wannabies out there. Fantastic guitarist.

Amen brotha. Wish he wasn't such a...i dont even know how to describe it. just how low key he is. Wish he would've stayed in Velvet Revolver when they were forming.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #35
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

Quote:

I am a Rythm guitarist. By choice.
Jackson USA
ESP
Music Man
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Mesa

Band:www.citizinsane.be
LP_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #36
JAHellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_CL
I am a Rythm guitarist. By choice.

Did you choose to spell rhythm wrong as well?
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #37
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Amen brotha. Wish he wasn't such a...i dont even know how to describe it. just how low key he is. Wish he would've stayed in Velvet Revolver when they were forming.

He never really made it far with them. He was part of the formation but not much before that. But yeah, in G N'R he was such an amazing guitarist who was in a band with another amazing guitarist. I keep meaning to check his solo stuff out.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #38
hminh87
Justin here!

Why do you even have to ask us? Just get one already!

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #39
jacobtheimpaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe Murderer
I dont understand this. How can you play guitar and not play rhythm to some degree?

That is very true, but a rhythm guitar player is kind of like a bass player in a sense, we're happy laying down the song's structure and we prefer to play chords and riffs than shredded leads.

Personally, I love playing rhythm because I have more fun doing it.
jacobtheimpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #40
MaaZeus

Quote:

Thats what I am practicing to be one day. Dont personally give a rats arse about finger blistering solos and running the fretboard back and forth like a maniac.

May be an odd comment about a person whos favourite guitarists contain Buckethead, but hey the above doesnt mean I dont like hearing a good a solo...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: