Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
michmach

Ibanez RG470 or Jackson Dinky?

Hey dudes, long time lurker, first time poster. Play alot of genres of music, but I figured I'd be using these for what they look like they were meant for. METAL! I got other guitars for other things, but... GAS... so...

Anywho got a line on these two guitars, an Ibanez RG470 (with a case) and a Jackson DK2. I really like the trem on the Jackson(played a friends as well as this one) but I didn't get to play with the RG as much as I'd like. I can get em for nearly identical prices, but I just wanted to see what the general consensus is here among ye auld wise ones.

So which would you guys suggest?

Any other recommendations?
michmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Ibanez.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Jackson. Much prefer how they feel to the Ibanez equivalent. Although the Ibanez does come with a case.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 09-07-2013 at 06:32 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
odensson95
Son Of Odin

Dk2
odensson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

much of a muchness. they should both be japanese (assuming you're looking at older second-hand models), both have trems which you'd ideally swap. Depending on how old it is, the dk2 might have better pickups. It's pretty much preference, assuming they've been looked after etc. they should both be good guitars, apart from the trem.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
poppameth
Lord of Freaky Dingos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
much of a muchness. they should both be japanese (assuming you're looking at older second-hand models), both have trems which you'd ideally swap. Depending on how old it is, the dk2 might have better pickups. It's pretty much preference, assuming they've been looked after etc. they should both be good guitars, apart from the trem.

Not all RG470s were Japanese. A friend of mine has one and it's Korean. The guitar itself is still good but the trem is terrible on it. It was a Lo-TRS II. We swapped it out for a Gotoh and it plays great now. If they are both Japanese pick the one that feels best to you. If the Ibby is Korean, go with the Jackson. I've also never found a stock Ibby pickup that I liked. They always sound muddy to me.
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall 6100LM Head with Slash Signature 4x12 half stack.
http://gideond.wordpress.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

There's a new 2013/2012 RG470 in stores, so I'm assuming you're talking about that one? I prefer RGs/Ss to Dinkies. The Ibanez Wizard II/III neck is much more comfy for me than my friend's Jackson DK2Y [I think that's the name].

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ good point about the new 470, i forgot about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth
Not all RG470s were Japanese. A friend of mine has one and it's Korean. The guitar itself is still good but the trem is terrible on it. It was a Lo-TRS II. We swapped it out for a Gotoh and it plays great now. If they are both Japanese pick the one that feels best to you. If the Ibby is Korean, go with the Jackson. I've also never found a stock Ibby pickup that I liked. They always sound muddy to me.

yeah good point. the 470 was the sort of in-between model between the expensive japanese models and the more beginner models. As you said, sometimes it was MIJ and sometimes it wasn't.

Easy way to check is the serial number, if it begins with an "F" it should be japanese. It often says "Japan" under the serial number, too (mine does).

Old 09-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
poppameth
Lord of Freaky Dingos

Yep they usually have a clear designation on the sticker on the back of the headstock. The tremolo is also stamped with the model.
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall 6100LM Head with Slash Signature 4x12 half stack.
http://gideond.wordpress.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Adam278

can only give you information on the ibanez as thats what i have, its a japan model from 1999, and is great except the tremelo, which i hardly use, but i prefer the low profile shape to play, so it suits me, but id upgrade the trem if your planning on using it a lot. i had a schechter omen 6 before, and the ibanez is so much more comfortable to play
Adam278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
J_W

If it's a 1992-1993 it's one of the first run of 470's made in Japan and have the Edge trem, which is awesome. 1994 through 1999 are made in Korea with the horrible Lo-Trs trem, stear clear if it's one of these. Then there were the 1998-2004 MIJ models, which also had a great trem, the Edge Pro. Then there are the new 470FM's, which I think are also made in Korea but I am not 100% sure. They have the Edge Zero II which I have no experience with.

If it's one of the MIJ 470's I'd take it in a heartbeat over the Jackson.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam278
can only give you information on the ibanez as thats what i have, its a japan model from 1999, and is great except the tremelo, which i hardly use, but i prefer the low profile shape to play, so it suits me, but id upgrade the trem if your planning on using it a lot. i had a schechter omen 6 before, and the ibanez is so much more comfortable to play

You don't like the Edge Pro? It's a great trem.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
Then there were the 1998-2004 MIJ models, which also had a great trem, the Edge Pro.

I think only the 2003 470 had the edge pro. I think all the other years had the lo-trs, which isn't great.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
jjfeu662
Celestia

Jackson: JT series LFR, Duncan Designed pickups, alder body, regular-sized neck,

Ibanez: Lo TRS trem, IBZ Infinity pickups, basswood body, thin Wizard II neck

Out of the two, I'd go for the Jackson, but I'd keep an eye out for the better RG550 with the Lo Pro Edge trem and IBZ Vintage pickups.
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I think only the 2003 470 had the edge pro. I think all the other years had the lo-trs, which isn't great.

Just looked it up and you are right, my mistake.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ no worries

Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
If it's too loud SHUT UP!

I have one of the MIK RS470L's (don't remember the year) and aside from the LO-TRSII (not that bad when you figure it out) and the humbuckers, it's a great guitar. I think the neck is what really sold me on the guitar. Well, the flip-flop metallic blue/purple paint job before it cracked too. I already had pickups in mind for it. It has the agathis body.

I'd probably go with the Jackson. Even the RS550 I sold didn't "feel" as good as the Jacksons I've played.
1152 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: