Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
HappySalesman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Need help with a new guitar/gear

Hey all,

so I've been playing off and on for a few years, and decided it was time for me to get a little more serious about it (and with that, get some better gear.) Right now I've got a silvertone SG clone, which is probably one of the cheapest guitars I've seen around the internet.

With that, I have a few questions.

A friend mine donated his amp to me, (it's a Fender Frontman 212R) and while it's a loud, beastly amp, I dunno if it's any good as far as amps go (at the very least, I know it's old). Would I be better off purchasing a new amp or is the one I have still good?

When it comes to solid-body guitars, does the shape of the guitar matter? I know the type of wood used for the neck and body do, but am I going to get a different kind of sound from an SG body or a Les Paul (of course assuming the hardware is the same). And beyond sound, are there any advantages/disadvantages besides comfort when it comes to the shape?

Lastly, are there any recommendations you can make? I couldn't really put a name to the kind of style I'd like to play (beyond just punching in a link to a song on youtube so... here ya go). My budget would probably be around 600, with the option of me delaying the purchase to save up more to get something more expensive (though, since I'm really only an intermediate player I don't feel it's necessary to blow the bank on something crazy).

I apologize if this post doesn't have all the information you would need to make a recommendation, if you need more please just let me know.

Thanks!
HappySalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
CaParker96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Whatever you do get, play it first. See what kind of body and neck feels the best to you. It will be a lot more fun and easier to play if the guitar feels right to you. SE's generally have really think necks, which I personally don't like, but that's just my opinion. If you Like it, then maybe stay with an SG of some sort. If not, try something with a thinner one, like a strat. I'm no help on the amp though.
CaParker96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
When it comes to solid-body guitars, does the shape of the guitar matter


Guitar shape is going to have the biggest impact on:

1) visual aesthetics

2) ergonomics, a.k.a. player comfort and fret access

3) mass- generally, more mass means more natural sustain & resonance, which is a tradeoff for more weight on your shoulders.

Really, only the third one directly affects your sound. Aesthetics, while important, don't make you sound any better. So the most important aspect of shape is how the guitar feels- its ergonomics.
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySalesman
(a) A friend mine donated his amp to me, (it's a Fender Frontman 212R) and while it's a loud, beastly amp, I dunno if it's any good as far as amps go (at the very least, I know it's old). Would I be better off purchasing a new amp or is the one I have still good?

(b) When it comes to solid-body guitars, does the shape of the guitar matter? I know the type of wood used for the neck and body do, but am I going to get a different kind of sound from an SG body or a Les Paul (of course assuming the hardware is the same). (c) And beyond sound, are there any advantages/disadvantages besides comfort when it comes to the shape?



(a) it's not great, but i mean as long as it still works there's no massive imperative to rushing out and spending money.

(b) A bit.

It's worth pointing out that a les paul is a lot thicker than the SG, and also has a maple top. Both of those things probably affect its tone more than the slightly different shape from the SG.

(c) Not really, no- assuming by comfort you include weight and upper-fret access (some shapes have poor upper-fret access).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-05-2013 at 06:52 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I didn't realize these were going this low: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFSho7AodImAAzw
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
 
Blackfire.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beyond the North Waves
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Hey all,

so I've been playing off and on for a few years, and decided it was time for me to get a little more serious about it (and with that, get some better gear.) Right now I've got a silvertone SG clone, which is probably one of the cheapest guitars I've seen around the internet.

With that, I have a few questions.

A friend mine donated his amp to me, (it's a Fender Frontman 212R) and while it's a loud, beastly amp, I dunno if it's any good as far as amps go (at the very least, I know it's old). Would I be better off purchasing a new amp or is the one I have still good?

When it comes to solid-body guitars, does the shape of the guitar matter? I know the type of wood used for the neck and body do, but am I going to get a different kind of sound from an SG body or a Les Paul (of course assuming the hardware is the same). And beyond sound, are there any advantages/disadvantages besides comfort when it comes to the shape?

Lastly, are there any recommendations you can make? I couldn't really put a name to the kind of style I'd like to play (beyond just punching in a link to a song on youtube so... here ya go). My budget would probably be around 600, with the option of me delaying the purchase to save up more to get something more expensive (though, since I'm really only an intermediate player I don't feel it's necessary to blow the bank on something crazy).

I apologize if this post doesn't have all the information you would need to make a recommendation, if you need more please just let me know.

Thanks!




Seriously? Your link is My Lil Pony music...?

Last edited by Blackfire. : 09-06-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
HappySalesman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire.
Seriously? Your link is My Lil Pony music...?


Yeah? And? It's a good song, who cares where it came from?

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll definitely keep all this in mind
HappySalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
 
Blackfire.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beyond the North Waves
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Yeah? And? It's a good song, who cares where it came from?

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll definitely keep all this in mind


Hey just making sure man.

I think it might help if you give more info on what type of music you will be playing in the future. That way people can suggest a guitar with the versatility you need, and not just basing it off one song. Unless you will only be playing that and nothing else.
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
HappySalesman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire.
Hey just making sure man.

I think it might help if you give more info on what type of music you will be playing in the future. That way people can suggest a guitar with the versatility you need, and not just basing it off one song. Unless you will only be playing that and nothing else.


Well considering my tastes have a bit of a range, and vary depending upon what mood I"m in... I guess aside from songs like that I'd be playing something similar to Metallica, Disturbed, etc.
HappySalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
 
Blackfire.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beyond the North Waves
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Well considering my tastes have a bit of a range, and vary depending upon what mood I"m in... I guess aside from songs like that I'd be playing something similar to Metallica, Disturbed, etc.


Also are you willing to go used or you want brand new?

Considering your price range this could be an option for brand new since you want something that caters to metal.

http://www.amazon.com/ESP-EC1000-El...ords=ltd+guitar
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
HappySalesman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
I'm willing to go used or new, though my preference would be new if I can swing it.
HappySalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
Gibson V or Explorer used.
__________________
If you wish to go with your gut, you must first acquire a gut.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
 
Blackfire.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beyond the North Waves
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySalesman
I'm willing to go used or new, though my preference would be new if I can swing it.


I just saw this on Ebay, for what you get it's a steal...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BC-Rich...=item338546ef71

CONSTRUCTION: Neck Through

BODY WOOD: Mahogany

PICKUPS: EMG ® 81

BODY THICKNESS: 40mm

TOP STYLE: Flat

HEADSTOCK STYLE: 3-to-a-Side Traditional

HEADSTOCK COLOR: Black

TUNERS: Grover ®

NECK WOOD: Canadian hard maple

NECK RADIUS: 16"

BACK OF NECK: Painted

NUT WIDTH: 47.5mm

FRETBOARD: Ebony

INLAY: Custom

FRETS: 24 jumbo

SCALE: 24 5/8

BRIDGE TYPE: Floyd Rose ® Original

PICKUPS: EMG ® 81

HARDWARE: Black

Last edited by Blackfire. : 09-07-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #15
HappySalesman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Holy moses. O.o I think I've found my guitar.
HappySalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
 
Blackfire.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beyond the North Waves
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Holy moses. O.o I think I've found my guitar.


What are you getting? The one I posted usually sells for more than that, the auction ends in 3hrs 41mins.
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.