Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
marrs11
Est 1991

Redemption: Need opinions on metal mix quality (C4C)

I started out with a very simple rhythm riff I wrote and put down that I am currently using to practice improving the mixing of my guitars, bass, and drums more clearly.

In this mix, I think there might be too much bass (as much as I actually kind of like the body it gives the whole thing), but I'm having an issue. I am trying to learn how to get a bass tone that blends in better with the guitars. If I use any much less bass, it is very hard to tell its there.

Right now I don't have a bass guitar so I'm using my guitar, in REAPER, with ReaPitch, putting it down an octave, and running it through a Vandal Bass Amp & Cab sim (which sounds pretty nice and convincing enough on its own I think), but I'm wondering if the tone I have now does the guitars justice or if it needs some kind of distortion or alteration in its overall tone, and if so, what kind and how?? This has been stumping me for weeks now.

Take a listen and tell me what you think? The track is "Redemption", which loops 6 times.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...sic/play1149083

Last edited by marrs11 : 11-19-2012 at 10:27 PM.
marrs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Definitely not my style of music, but the recording quality and techniques used aren't bad. Sounded okay on my system.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

Sounds good to me. I like the bass tone, though I am partial to super audible grinding bass tones. Guitars could be a bit louder and have a tad more low end, imo.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Invisus
UG's Roope

Sounds really good. Kinda has that thrashy tone too it. I agree with the guy above me, the guitars need more low end. Also try changing up the drums a bit, they get a little repetitive.

Just finished this up
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1573521
Invisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
marrs11
Est 1991

Thanks for the reply guys. The guitars originally had more low end. I took some of it out because I was having issues with the palm-mutes being over-bearing in the low-frequencies, but perhaps I can put a compressor on them to tame them down? Also, I think if I could get the bass to blend in more with the guitars then it would give the guitars themselves more low end? I'm not sure how though.

Also (to Invisus), this is just a small loop of one part of a riff. I plan on adding to it soon and eventually writing a whole song out of it.

Last edited by marrs11 : 11-20-2012 at 10:02 AM.
marrs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrs11
Thanks for the reply guys. The guitars originally had more low end. I took some of it out because I was having issues with the palm-mutes being over-bearing in the low-frequencies, but perhaps I can put a compressor on them to tame them down? Also, I think if I could get the bass to blend in more with the guitars then it would give the guitars themselves more low end? I'm not sure how though.

Also (to Invisus), this is just a small loop of one part of a riff. I plan on adding to it soon and eventually writing a whole song out of it.

Heard the track. Cool riff, but gets kinda repetitive.

Try moving your hand closer to the neck and further away from the bridge. And try less gain.

Tone is good, maybe a tad more low end. Sounds thrashy without sounding harsh.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

I really like this. I don't know, I'm no mixing expert, and the bass sounds good to me, but maybe a tad too much gain in the bass? Or perhaps a little too much high-end in the bass. It's a bit crisp. Other than that, I think this would make for an awesome verse to a song. It's a bit repetitive, but hey, it's just a loop, so I understand. Some little flourishes and variations here and there after a few loops would make it pretty sweet.

Last edited by MrDo0m : 11-20-2012 at 06:25 PM.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

Multi-band compression is the trick to tame palm mutes. A little clamping down on the 150-250hz region and you'll be good to go.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
ryan19

mix is pretty good. if it were me i'd turn the drums down and the guitars louder. and for a song like this I would quad track the guitars.

here's my song: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1573233

Last edited by ryan19 : 11-20-2012 at 06:51 PM.
ryan19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: