Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
staceap

Unhappy Passive to Active pickup conversion roadblock :S

So I'm somewhat keen on buying an EMG "Het" Set to replace the stock passive pickups in my BC Rich Warlock because I love the tone of the EMG's based on demo's and they're able to be installed virtually without soldering (I've never changed pickups before, but I would like to avoid paying for the cost of installation if possible, and those pickups are sweet as.)

I've hit a serious hurdle though in the form of my guitar's rear cavity being like this;

(I measured the actual cavity space to being around 16cm long, 3cm wide at the widest points and about 3.5 cm deep).

Somehow, I'd need to fit 2 volume pots, a tone pot, the selector switch, a pickup buss and a 9V battery into that cavity, with all the associated wiring connected up.

How am I gonna be able to do that? Take it to a luthier and have him cut out extra space, perhaps? Or am I gonna have to connect the pickups with as little wiring as possible? I'm assuming it's possible and not a problem solved by simply forgetting the notion of active pickups altogether. Surely I can't be the only who's had this sort of problem before?

(If it's of any use to anyone, the guitar has a nato body, and the controls are 2 volume, 1 tone and a 3-way toggle. 2 pickups, obviously. Link provided below).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar

Any help is greatly appreciated!
staceap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
Ibbod0

you might have to get the non quick-connect version if they still make them, IIRC the quick connect stuff takes up a lot of space (not to mention the wires would be way too long and no easy way to shorten them)

not sure if you'll be able to fit a battery in there though.. but I think EMG started making an external power supply box which sends the power through a stereo guitar cable.

edit:
by quick connect, i mean solderless. I know quick connect is the term they use for the actual pickup connection.

Last edited by Ibbod0 : 11-20-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Ibbod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Well, let's see. You could forget active pickups all together, which is probably what I would do in your situation(assuming that you really can't fit everything in there).

Or you could have it routed larger.

Or you could leave one of the volume pots out of the equation and put the battery in that spot. You'd have a visible hole on the top of the guitar where the pot used to be though.

Why don't you just try to put it all together and then assess the situation?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
thebestjoe

You should be fine. I was able to fit quick connect EMG's in my Warlock without any trouble, mine only had 1 Volume control, Tone, and pickup switch, plus I 18v modded them, so there was even more wire and an extra battery.
Schecter Omen-7 with X2N and D-Thing
Douglas Scope 727
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
staceap

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Why don't you just try to put it all together and then assess the situation?

Do you mean buying the pickups, trying to put them in and then assessing the potential issues? I'm not totally keen on putting the money out there until I'm sure I can do it.

What about installing them under the guise of the guitar being a 1 vol/1 tone pot instrument, seeing as the instructions are, and just having a master volume and a hole instead of the second volume would be? I never need the seperate volume knobs, I could just combine them into one master volume?

EDIT: Hold the phone, those external power supplies are awesome, and not ridiculously priced!

Last edited by staceap : 11-20-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
staceap

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjoe
You should be fine. I was able to fit quick connect EMG's in my Warlock without any trouble, mine only had 1 Volume control, Tone, and pickup switch, plus I 18v modded them, so there was even more wire and an extra battery.

Did you use short or long pots?

Rate This Thread: