Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Apollo1449

Gluing the Nut?

Aight guys, I bought a left handed strat, just to flip it around and play it righty (yeah I'm a poser, doosh whatever), but anyways I've taken out the nut and flipped it around and rearranged the saddles so that they are in the correct position.

My main question is should I glue the nut back down? I stuck it back in the other way and it was a snug fit, so much so that i couldn't move it without a hammer or something of the like. However, I am still worried that I may run into tuning stability problems or something if I don't glue it down. If so which type of glue would yall recommend? I've got epoxy, wood glue, regular glue. So what do you guys think?
Apollo1449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Nut slots are usually cut at an angle so the front edge of the nut holds the string. This is necessary for the intonation to be correct, so you can't just flip it around and use it the other way. You'll have to have the nut recut the right way.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Another Won
I like Dream Theater

coulda just bought a right handed strat too.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Nut slots are usually cut at an angle so the front edge of the nut holds the string. This is necessary for the intonation to be correct, so you can't just flip it around and use it the other way. You'll have to have the nut recut the right way.

+1 i have used basic wood glue for nuts. all held fine. make surfaces are clean.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
whoomit

Make sure the nut slot is clear of all old glue, and just a drop or two of superglue will do you. String tention will hold it down anyway.

As W4RP1G said, you really should get a RH nut. That being said though, ff there were ever a guiitar you could get away with just turning the nut around, it'd a Strat or Tele.

Rate This Thread: