Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Ultima117

NAD!! Evh 5150 III 50 watt!

Hey guys! In my quest to find a low wattage British amp, I stumbled upon a deal I could not pass up. $300 + my bugera head, for a brand new 5150 III 50 watt head!

I've only had it a week now, so I might have a little "new amp syndrome" bias; however I cant resist. One word can sum this amp up......amazing! The cleans are awesome! Even with my EMG pickups at full tone knob and gain knob on the guitar and 3 gain on the amp you can get very good cleans. You don't have to do the .5 gain and roll off the knob trick with this clean channel. Also, the crunch channel, or in my opinion should be more appropriately named hot rodded Marshall channel sounds fantastic! Honestly probably my favorite channel. It has a crazy amount of gain, but can be backed off as well. Awesome channel. And the lastly the lead channel. This channel has over the top gain. Honestly even at 4 gain, which I play, is just insane; however it still retains great clarity and note definition.

This is probably one of the most versatile amps I have ever played on, you can literally get any tone you want with some tweaking! I should also mention too this amp sounds like it has an overdrive pedal on the crunch/lead channels. It is ridiculously tight and saturated!

That's just a little brief review and here are some things worth mentioning that are not talked about too much:

1). This amp is loud! I mean really, really loud! Even if you turn the volume to just break volume its still louder than my bugera was on 1; with that said, it sounds better at this lowest volume setting than any other amp I have played, absolutely killer!

2) the whole volume jump between ch 1 & 2 is not as unmanageable as people say it is. Just set your gain halfway and it really is not that bad. Also if I can get decent cleans from emgs at half gain....you'll be fine....its not pristine clean, mind you, but certainly sounds good.

3). I think its kinda cool that the evh logo and the fender logo in the bottom right are made to be removable. I personally really like them, but I thought I should mention this for the people who like to customize.

4). This amp sounds nothing like a 6505 or 5150....not even close. This amp is extremely tight and saturated... no need for an od. It is also a very bright amp and has more of a crunch than a "chunk" sound if that makes any sense. The versatility is also vastly better. The clean channel is actually clean. So honestly do not expect this to be a 6505 or 5150. And lastly at low volumes it sounds killer, in my opinion you really need a 6505 to "open" up before you start to get good tones.

So with all that said, I hope this brief review/info helps people on the fence about this amp or those looking for an amp. I really love this amp!!

And apparently I can't post pics from my phone......they'll be coming later tonight (:

If anyone has any questions about the amp I'd be more than happy to help......all this talk makes me wanna play it right now......lame work.......
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
ESP LTD MH-1000 Deluxe in GREEN!!
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Ultima117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

HNAD. I really wanted one of these before I got my DSL.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I think my biggest problem with the III is that it sounds nothing like a 5150. Sure it's a great amp, there's no dispute there. But give it a different name...

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

HNAD! I really want to try one, I have a feeling I would really like it for lead work, but I will probably miss the pure pissed off ferocity of a 6505.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
evhbrianmay
Has a Pet Whale

Pics or it's a spyder.
evhbrianmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima117
Hey guys! In my quest to find a low wattage British amp, I stumbled upon a deal I could not pass up. $300 + my bugera head, for a brand new 5150 III 50 watt head!

2) the whole volume jump between ch 1 & 2 is not as unmanageable as people say it is. Just set your gain halfway and it really is not that bad. Also if I can get decent cleans from emgs at half gain....you'll be fine....its not pristine clean, mind you, but certainly sounds good.

$300 and a bugera?

2 - i had heard the same thing about the volume jump, that it wasn't as much of an issue with the gain at half way. (i mean if you want pristine cleans a 5153 isn't really the amp for you anyway right?)

congrats!

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
mmjohn
Call me John

HNAD!!!!! I love my 5150iii 50w amazing is a good word to sum it up for sure.....5150 will always be associated with EVH.....here is a great pedal to match up with your amp really makes the clean channel a little more pristine....and it's super transparent can be left on all the time it thickens he bottom up adds sparkle to the top end but changes nothing of your original tone. You can even still use a tube screamer with it on for a nice mid boost.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
G-Dog_666
A owl?

HNAD. My jealousy currently knows no bounds.
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
G-Dog_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
Perverockstar69

I want PICS and CLIPS man, come on !

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Bladed-Vaults
Broceidon king of Brocean

HNAD! welcome to the 5153 club youll be satisfied way after the "honeymoon" phase

someone said you shouldnt get a 5153 if you want prestine cleans anyway??? play a passive neck pup through this heads clean channel and tell me its not prestine.. best cleans of any hi-gain amp ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

I think my biggest problem with the III is that it sounds nothing like a 5150. Sure it's a great amp, there's no dispute there. But give it a different name...

thats not entirely fair lol. Eddie picked the name 5150 cuz it means "CRAZY" and this little amp fits that definition much better than its Peavey predecessor
Bladed-Vaults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I disagree on it having the best cleans of an high gain amp.

However, HN5153D, TS!

That's one HELL of a deal. A fire hazard and $300 for a 5153 mini? I would do that all day long. I was quite impressed with the 5153 I played. It wasn't what I was expecting, especially after playing old 5150's and 6505's. Much, much different sound. The 6505 kinda has a grind in the midrange, where the 5153 has more of a sizzle/crunch. If I didn't dig darker tones, I would have a 5153 instead of my Vengeance

Just curious, what tubes are in it? You might not be able to handle the amazing after a good retube...
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
Bladed-Vaults

well true i suppose there are a few out there than can best it.... but not in the price range..
i owned a knucklehead ktre before my 5153 and even its cleans for the price dont match up.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
well true i suppose there are a few out there than can best it.... but not in the price range..
i owned a knucklehead ktre before my 5153 and even its cleans for the price dont match up.

my point was...

nevermind.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

sweet

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Bladed-Vaults

lol I think i know where you were comin from man. just bein picky today
most people that buy these are buyin em for extreme metal.
proud to say my clean chanell gets used..... on one song....
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
Ultima117

Ya $300 and a bugera, for it brand new in ivory to match my cab, haha. I can't believe I got so lucky (:

It actually came stock with JJ's tubes, so pretty sweet.

I forgot to mention too the footswitch uses a regular cable instead of the stupid din connectors.

And ill definitely post some pics tonight and maybe a sound test.
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
ESP LTD MH-1000 Deluxe in GREEN!!
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Ultima117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I was specifically referring to my amp, but I could probably come up with a few more. I don't need a "gain trick" to get pristines

Then again, I have a hard time dialing in that cranked JCM800 "clean" tone that I love. Since I don't boost my amp, I can kinda get it by dialing back my guitar volume, but it still isn't quite as JCM800-y as I would like. (Damn 6L6's ) Of course, I don't use cleans at all live They're more of an at-home thing for me.

Either way, still jealous of TS and his awesome deal on a more awesone amp
Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Ippon
Amped

Pics or it's a Diezel!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Pics or it's a Diezel!

In that case, I just bought a Spider IV and my camera is broken

For real, though, all of this sexy 5153 talk and no pictures to drool over!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
Offworld92
One among the fence.

My JSX is so awesome, I still get teh sparklys WITH a SD-1 on in front. Top that.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: