User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidley
If you're putting high-output pickups into a guitar, the wood it's made from is going to make little difference. Don't get too hung up on what wood it's made out of, it only really matters if you're using a light crunch or clean sounds a lot.

Why are you spreading this BS? Not true at all.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 AM   #22
Arjun_M

Used Ibanez Prestige? They can be picked up on Guitar Center, and even with all the price inflation, amount to a lot less than the same guitars sold here new. But is it really worth the import? It will, ultimately, need new pickups, and I am rather apprehensive about the Edge Zero trem. There are no used Ibanez Prestige guitars out here- the only ones floating used are those junk GIO models, and the odd regular RG320/350/370.

I'd like to hear some feedback from Jackson SLX (and other X-series soloist) owners here. Just how good is it?
Arjun_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
Arjun_M

Fair, some suggest going in for a used Ibanez Prestige. Prices sometimes come to $500 at Guitar Center. How does that compare with a new RG350/Jackson SLX? And what's your advice about maintaining/changing the trem/bridge?

Alternatively, I may try to snag a Fender HM Strat. Would you recommend one? And what work will be needed on it?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun_M
Fair, some suggest going in for a used Ibanez Prestige. Prices sometimes come to $500 at Guitar Center. How does that compare with a new RG350/Jackson SLX?

But it this way, if i had a Jackson X Series or a 350 next to an Ibanez 1570, i would rip the EMG's from the Jackson, but them in the 1570 and use the 350 and the remains of the Jackson to keep my house warm.

That isn't directly saying that X series Jackson's and the 350 are bad guitars, because they aren't, they're good guitars for the price, but the hypothetical scenario puts how much better an Ibanez Prestige is to either of the other guitars into perspective. The pickups on the entry-level Prestige guitars are the only entry-level thing about them.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 01-09-2013 at 03:16 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #25
Arjun_M

So the RG Prestige has a much better build quality and a much better quality of basswood than the RG Regular and Jackson's X series. But would you recommend the RG1570/2570 selling between $500-700 at Guitar Center? Or would you suggest opting for any RG550/570 at the same price range? And the trem- what can I do about the trem? Reviews about Edge Zero are not the most positive.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #26
DarthV

Everything is better on the Prestiges. Not sure you're going to see a huge difference in quality between the 1570/25xx and older 550/570. They will have different pickups, bridges, colors and neck profiles.

If you're buying used, the chances are that a 1570 would have the edge pro and the older 550/570 would have the original edge or the lo pro edge. The edge zero with the ZPS enabled is MUCH more stiff, but more tuning stable (specially for fancy bends). Haven't tried an edge zero that had the ZPS disengaged, so I can't tell you if it would have more of the old school edge feel.

And at $500, it's a no brainer to get a good condition 1570/25xx/550/570 over a brand new rg350. I'd take a cosmetically challenged one over a new rg350 as well. My most recent guitar is a rg2550e that has tons of paint dings on the edges, but had no issues where it counts. And plays amazing. All for $440 CAD, including the prestige case. Win!
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
DarthV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun_M
Alternatively, I may try to snag a Fender HM Strat. Would you recommend one? And what work will be needed on it?

Oops missed this part. Don't get me wrong, the HM Strats are pretty nice guitars, but the Kahler Spyder bridge is rubbish. The metal is way too soft. Hell I have a bent mounting post on mine now. There was a year or two in the earlier 90s that they used OFR in them. Too bad the an OFR can't be dropped into the older ones (different mounting post spacing grrrr).
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #28
samuraigoomba

http://www.heartfield-central.com/ Check these out. They're cheap, MIJ and have a lot of different features depending on the model. The Talon line is the one you want.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #29
Final
i'manevenworsemess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Basswood is ****ing awesome wood.

Just ask John Suhr.

Agreed, I used to own an Ibanez RG570, which obviously wasn't comparable to custom shop basswood guitars, but I always loved the tones I could get out of it compared to a few of my other guitars that were made of ash or alder that were of near the same quality of the guitar, but I ended up giving that guitar to a friend as a Christmas present.
Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
Offworld92
One among the fence.

The Edge Zero is awesome. Take all reviews with a grain of salt - they're generally only left by people wrapped up in the honeymoon phase, or by bitter people.

Also would like to reinforce that any Ibby Prestige destroys anything else you've mentioned. Just get a Prestige!

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: