Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
wedy1414

Pedals with H&K

Hey, I'm not sure how tube amps in general work or how they are structured. But I've heard that some types of pedals don't work with amps. I was wondering If a ISP Decimator would work with my Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100 W?
wedy1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
souperman08

You can use any pedal with any amp. Whoever told you otherwise is giving you bad information. Granted, some combinations might not sound or work the greatest, but thats another issue entirely. a Decimator will work fine with your amp.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

You'll want to use the Series loop (I believe that amp has both parallel and series?) for the Decimator to do much of anything, you'll want it in the loop so that it eleminates all noise right before the Power Section. In a Parallel loop, the dry signal still goes through, so the pedal would essentially be doing nothing. In a Series loop, all of the signal goes through the loop when it's active.

Other than that, you should have no issues with using the Decimator with the Switchblade.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
You'll want to use the Series loop (I believe that amp has both parallel and series?) for the Decimator to do much of anything, you'll want it in the loop so that it eleminates all noise right before the Power Section. In a Parallel loop, the dry signal still goes through, so the pedal would essentially be doing nothing. In a Series loop, all of the signal goes through the loop when it's active.

Other than that, you should have no issues with using the Decimator with the Switchblade.

+1. it does have both series and parallel.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

I have a Switchblade, and use it live and in the studio, with a Decimator and have no problems whatsoever. Where on earth did you get the idea that you can only use certain pedals with certain amps?

Also, I disagree with the person talking about only placing the amp in the effects loop - depends what you want it for. If you wanna cut out preamp noise, then I agree, but if you want to get rid of feedback as a priority it works better out in front of the amp (and seeing as I don't use any other pedals live, apart from sometimes using a switchless Crybaby wah, I have no issues with placing it there to keep unwanted feedback in check).

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
I have a Switchblade, and use it live and in the studio, with a Decimator and have no problems whatsoever. Where on earth did you get the idea that you can only use certain pedals with certain amps?

Also, I disagree with the person talking about only placing the amp in the effects loop - depends what you want it for. If you wanna cut out preamp noise, then I agree, but if you want to get rid of feedback as a priority it works better out in front of the amp (and seeing as I don't use any other pedals live, apart from sometimes using a switchless Crybaby wah, I have no issues with placing it there to keep unwanted feedback in check).

My guess here is a combination of two things that are most definitely true:

1. Some amps don't take pedals well.
2. Some effects only really have an effect when used in a Series Loop.

Obviously, number one is more for running things in the front end, and mostly applies to Overdrive/Distortion Pedals, but the uninformed listener could easily misunderstand that.

Number two definitely applies here, but fortunately, his amp has both types of loop. Generally, Parallel loops are nicer for modulation, and sometimes (depending on preferences here) delay/reverb effects. Serial loops are best for EQ pedals and are absolutely necessary if you want to run a Noise Supressor/Gate in the loop.

Good point about the feedback. I generally forget about that, because I use mine for dead silence when I'm not playing something, to really emphasize the attack of my notes. I don't run it so high that it cuts sustain or ruins my playing dynamic, as that's blasphemy in my house, but I like the fact that when I stop playing, there is no noise, just silence.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
My guess here is a combination of two things that are most definitely true:

1. Some amps don't take pedals well.
2. Some effects only really have an effect when used in a Series Loop.

Obviously, number one is more for running things in the front end, and mostly applies to Overdrive/Distortion Pedals, but the uninformed listener could easily misunderstand that.

Number two definitely applies here, but fortunately, his amp has both types of loop. Generally, Parallel loops are nicer for modulation, and sometimes (depending on preferences here) delay/reverb effects. Serial loops are best for EQ pedals and are absolutely necessary if you want to run a Noise Supressor/Gate in the loop.

Agreed, and generally when I've ever experienced amps not taking pedals well it has been modelling amps like Line 6 Spiders etc. with distortion/OD in front that has sounded weird because the amp adds other effects to the clean tone while modelling. Then again, haven't been unfortunate enough to witness that in a looooong time so may be remembering it all poorly hehe.

Quote:
Good point about the feedback. I generally forget about that, because I use mine for dead silence when I'm not playing something, to really emphasize the attack of my notes. I don't run it so high that it cuts sustain or ruins my playing dynamic, as that's blasphemy in my house, but I like the fact that when I stop playing, there is no noise, just silence.

That's cool - I think there's a lot of stuff on the net about using gates for killing feedback, and a lot on the net about cutting preamp noise/hiss, but it seems quite rare that both are covered in the same article. With an audio engineering background, I've always known about them being used to cut background noise to spot mics when not active, but played the guitar even longer and first used them to kill feedback, but I think they're always marketed to do one or the other, rather than both marketed with equal priority

Music Stuff

Old 11-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Agreed, and generally when I've ever experienced amps not taking pedals well it has been modelling amps like Line 6 Spiders etc. with distortion/OD in front that has sounded weird because the amp adds other effects to the clean tone while modelling. Then again, haven't been unfortunate enough to witness that in a looooong time so may be remembering it all poorly hehe.

That's cool - I think there's a lot of stuff on the net about using gates for killing feedback, and a lot on the net about cutting preamp noise/hiss, but it seems quite rare that both are covered in the same article. With an audio engineering background, I've always known about them being used to cut background noise to spot mics when not active, but played the guitar even longer and first used them to kill feedback, but I think they're always marketed to do one or the other, rather than both marketed with equal priority

Yeah, that's usually the case. I mean, I've had some specific issues, like a Multi-FX I had a while ago that would make this weird noise through through some amps when you played in a certain spot on the fretboard. I tried different guitars and amps, and the guitar had no effect. Then, my Hardwire TL-2 and my Vengeance don't get along when I run it through the front. It jsut doesn't sound good, no matter the channel. Bypassing the preamp by running my guitar into it and it into the Return on my loop sounds fine, though.

Yeah, I agree. It's rare that you hear both. Except maybe when people mention the X trick with the Boss NS-2, which IIRC, works on both.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Yeah, that's usually the case. I mean, I've had some specific issues, like a Multi-FX I had a while ago that would make this weird noise through through some amps when you played in a certain spot on the fretboard. I tried different guitars and amps, and the guitar had no effect. Then, my Hardwire TL-2 and my Vengeance don't get along when I run it through the front. It jsut doesn't sound good, no matter the channel. Bypassing the preamp by running my guitar into it and it into the Return on my loop sounds fine, though.

Yeah, I agree. It's rare that you hear both. Except maybe when people mention the X trick with the Boss NS-2, which IIRC, works on both.

By X trick, do you mean running both channels? That's what it's designed for, as far as I knew - the better ISP Decimators have the same, two-channel setup for the same reason (running one channel in front, and one after the preamp via the effects loop)

Music Stuff

Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

There's some kind of pattern for how to use multiple outputs/inputs on the pedal to run it both in front of the amp and through the loop. I might be thinking of a different pedal, but I'm pretty sure it's the NS-2

The regular Decimator stompbox has one input, one output, and one knob, so it's one or the other with it. The G String and/or Rack system could be different, I'm not familiar with them.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Think the NS-2 has two channels (one in, then output to amp, plus effects loop in/out) from what I remember, but you have the right idea. And yeah, I have the regular Decimator too, but the G-String and ProRackG both have two channels as with the NS-2's layout, though the ProRackG gives more control over these, with a threshold control for each channel etc.

I think there is also a standard ProRack Decimator, which is the same as the cheapest pedal but in rack-form.

Music Stuff

Rate This Thread: