Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
YYMMalmsteen

M-Audio Fast Track + REAPER

Hi again! I'm "building" a rookie home studio and this is what I've got:
-a home
-Windows 7

-going to buy Shure SM57 to record valve amp +guitar, bass, keyboards and maybe vocals
-going to buy M-Audio Fast Track (*100 one, not the Pro or Ultra version)
-DAW: REAPER

Are all these compatible? Will I have any problems if I use these items together? What should I change/replace? As far as I know, this gear is great to start with. Am I wrong?

THX
YYMMalmsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl

Yeah pretty much
Don't see why they wouldn't be tbh

Most DAW's work with most audio interfaces...
I mean reaper of all things, M-Audio fast track should be fine
My guitarist uses his Fast-Track with reaper for live playing, so I don't see why it should be a problem

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClockHouseBand

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Highelf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
henrihell

It should all work fine. Older Pro-Tools are the only programs not compatible with all interfaces as far as I know. Just one question: why record keyboard with a mic, you can plug it directly into the interface. And even if it's some cheap ass crap keyboard it should have a headphones out, which you can plug in to the interface with a guitar cable. You'll most likely get a better sound that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
henrihell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
YYMMalmsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrihell
It should all work fine. Older Pro-Tools are the only programs not compatible with all interfaces as far as I know. Just one question: why record keyboard with a mic, you can plug it directly into the interface. And even if it's some cheap ass crap keyboard it should have a headphones out, which you can plug in to the interface with a guitar cable. You'll most likely get a better sound that way

i hadnt really thought of that because I haven't tried recording my keyboard yet. I wasn't sure it I'd be able to but it's quite obvious. I'll keep it in mind.
I probably was gonna use the mic because that's how Im going to record my guitar-bass amp

but what you said about the keyboard should do. Cheers!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
timcrow420

I use the fasttrack and ive already put out my solo album and 2 other peoples album, I mean its not the greatest but if somebody just wants a demo they will be more than happy, I use pro tools SE, and ive made a couple hundred bucks bringing people in who wanted an album.
timcrow420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYMMalmsteen
Shure SM57 to record valve amp +guitar, bass, keyboards and maybe vocals

Alright, time for the one question I always ask with the SM57, what kind of amp do you have? I know you said Valve amp but is it a cheap ass one or do you actually have a decent amp & speaker cab? If you don't, there are a ton of free virtual amp simulators that will pretty accurately model guitar amps.

Also, you aren't going to need a SM57 for Bass since most Bass guitars, even in pro studios, are run direct into the board then compressed & EQ'd in there. Theres no real point to micing keyboard since you can either run the keys direct into your interface or run the MIDI out of them into your DAW and control virtual instruments that way.

For Vocals, there are much better mics than the SM57. You'd be better off buying a condenser mic like an AT2020.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
YYMMalmsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Alright, time for the one question I always ask with the SM57, what kind of amp do you have? I know you said Valve amp but is it a cheap ass one or do you actually have a decent amp & speaker cab? If you don't, there are a ton of free virtual amp simulators that will pretty accurately model guitar amps.

Also, you aren't going to need a SM57 for Bass since most Bass guitars, even in pro studios, are run direct into the board then compressed & EQ'd in there. Theres no real point to micing keyboard since you can either run the keys direct into your interface or run the MIDI out of them into your DAW and control virtual instruments that way.

For Vocals, there are much better mics than the SM57. You'd be better off buying a condenser mic like an AT2020.

My amp is Peavy Valveking 112. I changed nothing. Every feature is stock feature. So the Bass would also sound alright if I plug it into the Interface just like the Keyboard?

I like the tone I get from my MIM Strat+Peavy Valveking112. That's why I'd like to mic it. And I haven't been able to get any amp simulators so far.
Besides, doing it God's way makes them very expensive.

Also, I want to record with my pedals: Wah Wah + DL8

Last edited by YYMMalmsteen : 11-21-2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: addi nfo
Old 11-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
chatterbox272

Quote:
So the Bass would also sound alright if I plug it into the Interface just like the Keyboard?

Yes. A sansamp or something would be nice, to blend in some dirt with the sound but if you don't have one the TSE B.O.D. does a decent job simulating it.

Quote:
Besides, doing it God's way makes them very expensive

I assume that means obtaining them legally? If so you really need to read the amp sims sticky. LePou Amp Sims, total cost = $0; LePou LeCab impulse loader, cost = $0; Catharsis/Gods Cab Impulses, total cost = $0; Ignite Amps TS-999, cost = $0; Total cost for full amp sim setup = $0. That should fit in any budget .
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
My amp is Peavy Valveking 112. I changed nothing. Every feature is stock feature. So the Bass would also sound alright if I plug it into the Interface just like the Keyboard?

I like the tone I get from my MIM Strat+Peavy Valveking112. That's why I'd like to mic it. And I haven't been able to get any amp simulators so far.
Besides, doing it God's way makes them very expensive.

Also, I want to record with my pedals: Wah Wah + DL8

I honestly wouldn't waste time micing a Valveking. Cheap amps don't sound good mic'd. As far as pedals, run them before going into your interface into whatever amp sim you want.

As far as Bass, like I said, even pro studios just run it straight & compress and EQ to taste
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
YYMMalmsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
I honestly wouldn't waste time micing a Valveking. Cheap amps don't sound good mic'd. As far as pedals, run them before going into your interface into whatever amp sim you want.

As far as Bass, like I said, even pro studios just run it straight & compress and EQ to taste

So a Valveking is a "chaep" tube amp. I know that compared to the 2000 ones. But I don't think it would be THAT terrible would it?
How BAD can it sound? I odn't want professional quality. Just 17-year old kid-making-his- first-demo quality.

But if you say it ain't worth micing" I might just buy the interface and if I need, later on, the mic
Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #11
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

For reference, this is what you can get with amp sims (I'm 17 too, so...): http://soundcloud.com/davidfuller-1/groovy-thing

Or, in a more refined form: http://soundcloud.com/davidfuller-1/proggy-2-0
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
YYMMalmsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
For reference, this is what you can get with amp sims (I'm 17 too, so...): http://soundcloud.com/davidfuller-1/groovy-thing

Or, in a more refined form: http://soundcloud.com/davidfuller-1/proggy-2-0

hey i hadnt seen ur comment
those two are amp sims? they sound pretty cool

but i guess im a bit of an idiot in some way cuz i wanna record my valve amp
even so, I'll try both options and decide

nice music btw

Rate This Thread: