Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
gutoalvim

Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 vs 1x12 cabinet

Hi... i want to know what are the main differences between the 2x12 and the 1x12 rectifier cabinets by Mesa...
I am going to buy a Mark V in the USA (i live in Brazil), at first i was thinking of the combo, but i read that the combo is not the best option for the JP tone that im looking for.
I need to transport it to my country so i wont buy the 4x12. Do u guys think that there is a huge difference between the sound of the 1x12 and the 2x12. Im going to play and record in my bedroom, and i dont have much space in there.
There is also the price, the 1x12 is 200 USD cheaper than the other one.
Which one should i go for??

Thanks
gutoalvim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

A 2x12 is going to be much heavier and sound a tad bigger.

Petrucci uses 4x12s and also runs two amps in stereo, so if you are going to try and spend thousands to nail his tone, it shouldn't really matter.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
gutoalvim

Im not trying to nail his tone (i want to but its to expensive....) im just trying to get similar to it, cause in my opinion its the best ****ing tone ever...
I just want to know if i can do it with a 1x12 instead of a 2x12 or a 4x12
gutoalvim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Yes, you can.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

just check the single speaker is rated for a high enough wattage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
just check the single speaker is rated for a high enough wattage

This

The Rectifier cabs use V30's, which are 60watts each, meaning that the 1x12 won't be able to handle the full power of the Mark V. You'll have to get the 2x12.

Plus, if you want to sit your head on the cab like most guitarists do, you'll need the 2x12 for it to be big enough. I realize that probably isn't your number 1 priority here, but it certainly is something to consider.

Even with those things aside, I would get the 2x12 anyway. I think 1x12's just kinda sound boxy and small in comparison, although 2x12's tend to sound boxy compared to 4x12's.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
gumbilicious
beginner

if you really care to learn a bunch of BS about multiple speaker cabs and what difference it can play:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...us/blog/110903/

it boils down to: more speakers = more volume and low end. if you wanna compare a 2x12 to a 1x12 directly, then that is the conclusion you come to.

there are other splash consequences like
-given the same speakers a 2x12 will be able to handle more power from an amp, giving the speakers more headroom
-you are able to mix and match speakers in a 2x12 to customize tones

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 11-21-2012 at 05:59 AM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I read that, and it was pretty interesting, although I would say that there are likely even more variables than you listed in terms of the phase. I'm too tired to list them at the moment, but if you honestly want to hear, I can type them out later, if you want.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I read that, and it was pretty interesting, although I would say that there are likely even more variables than you listed in terms of the phase. I'm too tired to list them at the moment, but if you honestly want to hear, I can type them out later, if you want.

i tried to limit the blog to the assumptions of a near field (a super simple acoustic environment) and the aspects of phasing that deals with mutual coupling. but if you have more info, i am always ready to learn more.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

MKV is 90w.

Make sure the can you get is higher.

The combo is heavy as hell. 100lbs.

I must say even the combo will get you close enough to his sound. Personally I would get a 2x12 closed backed. Even if you get the 1x12 make sure to get a closed back.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
This

The Rectifier cabs use V30's, which are 60watts each, meaning that the 1x12 won't be able to handle the full power of the Mark V. You'll have to get the 2x12.

Plus, if you want to sit your head on the cab like most guitarists do, you'll need the 2x12 for it to be big enough. I realize that probably isn't your number 1 priority here, but it certainly is something to consider.

Even with those things aside, I would get the 2x12 anyway. I think 1x12's just kinda sound boxy and small in comparison, although 2x12's tend to sound boxy compared to 4x12's.

+1 to all of this.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Don't be prepared to learn more, this is all speculation on my part.

I was thinking that with the frequencies reflecting off of the insides of the 4x12, that could cause some phasing as well. Whether that actually makes a difference in sound, being that it's mostly contained in the cabinet, I don't really know.

Another thing I could think of would be room acoustics, but with the same concerns as the above.

One thing I wondered about was whether this would vary from speaker design to speaker design, even assuming that they're loaded into the same spots in the same cabinet, etc.

I could swear I had more in mind, but I can't think of them now (of course)

A question I have is: What if you were to make a cabinet where the was a speaker directly behind the speaker in front of it? Basically, if you were to cut the front half of cabinet off and attach it to the front of a cabinet with the same specs. The idea would be to have a speaker behind each other speaker to kinda "spoon" it. Also, if doing this, what would be the reprecussions of having the speakers held in place by a ring around them that they're bolted to that has pieces extending up, down, and to each side, then making the rest of the area out of speaker cloth for the front set of speakers, then having the back set have a solid area around them like normal? Would that offer any kind of phase advantage? Obviously, that's a lot of extra shit to go through to attempt to squeeze a few more decibels of sound out, but it might be more efficientsince the speakers would be closer together than when they're side-by-side, but with the speed of sound being a constant through the air it would be traveling through, it might just not phase at all, I really don't know.

Like I said, don't be too hopeful of learning a damn thing from this
Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

The Mark V head is rather small compared to standard heads and should easily fit on top of a 1x12 cab. You would be paying a heavy price to get a loaded 2x12 shipped overseas.

If I was you, I would buy the combo and replace the C90 with a Celestion G12K-100.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
Old 11-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #14
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Mesa has wide body 1x12 cabs. You could get a closed back one of those and save some money. The head would sit perfectly.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_I...ack-1x12-LG.htm

This is what I am talking about.

Also for a quick lesson on dialing in the amp.....

And you will find you'll need to turn the gain up past what he has in the video. Generally the lower the volume the more gain you will need. As you turn up you can really roll the gain back. Very clear amp even with the gain max.

I love mine.

Last edited by R45VT : 11-22-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #15
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I guess I forgot that those heads were smaller, good point.

I didn't know they made such a thing. That's pretty neat, although I wonder what the sound difference is between the three (2x12, 1x12, 1x12wide)
Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #16
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

combo w/open back... ok, 1x12 closed better, 2x12 even better, 4x12 best....

Icronic has one or two of the 1x12 wide bodies. They aren't as good as the 2x12.

Any of them will get the TS close enough to sounds like Petrucci.

I have the combo and the first thing I noticed after getting home was the sound reflecting off the wall behind it. I am used to it now but coming from a closed 4x12 it was a difference

Last edited by R45VT : 11-22-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #17
Offworld92
One among the fence.

What is the point of the wide 1x12? I thought the only reason to get a 1x12 is physical space and/or money. I mean tonally... more speakers is always going to be better.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 11-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #18
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
What is the point of the wide 1x12? I thought the only reason to get a 1x12 is physical space and/or money. I mean tonally... more speakers is always going to be better.

It's the same width as the MKV. For picky people? 2x12 is better.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #19
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Also for a quick lesson on dialing in the amp.....

I didn't see this earlier.

The Lord Petrucci has spoken.

Now, /thread, lest we anger our God!

Honestly, I think he is one of the musicians I would like to meet the most. He just seems like such a nice, friendly, down-to-earth guy, which is insane, considering he is, without a doubt, within the top 5 greatest guitarists of all time. Honestly, I put him at #1, but that's a personal thing. I know a lot of people would preach Chris Broderick in that position, but I prefer JP. I recently disvoered a band called Sylosis, though, and their vocalist/lead guitarist is pretty impressive. Also, I have to mention Alexi Laiho here.

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 11-22-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #20
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I hate Broderick, Petrucci and Laiho. They do absolutely nothing for me. Come at me.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Rate This Thread: