Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
mr42ndstblvd

new pick ups for a "not gibson" firebird

i want to swap my cheap epiphone pickups to something a bit more heavier something with more distortion. what pickups can i put in my firebird that will drop in i have mini humbuckers right now
mr42ndstblvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

I'm not familiar with any Mini humbuckers that have a high output
But you can get these adapter rings that allow you to put P-90s in (with no modifications to the guitar.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Mini-Hu...ACK_p_1486.html

And Dimarzio makes a Super Distortion in a P-90 size
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Mini-Hu...ACK_p_1486.html

That should get you squared away and do what you need
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
mr42ndstblvd

thanks! thats awesome! i cant wait to get these stock pickups off my guitar i cant believe i forgot about guitar fetish website!
Old 10-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i apologise if i'm insulting your intelligence, but you are using a suitable amp and/or pedals too, right? higher output pickups will help with getting distortion, but they won't turn a fender twin into a 6505 either...

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
mr42ndstblvd

i have a very basic setup i have a peavy audition 110 trans tube running into my rp50 digitech sound effects proccesor in my honest opinion it dosent distort the way i want but it gets the job done till i can buy new equipment. i already know its the pickups there chinese microphonics
Old 10-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

no worries, if you're sure it'll work, have at it

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr42ndstblvd
thanks! thats awesome! i cant wait to get these stock pickups off my guitar i cant believe i forgot about guitar fetish website!

GFS pickups are going to be pretty much the same Chinese-type pickups that you have in there already. Best I can tell you in regard to minihums from GFS is 'don't bother.'

You need to know that there are about four very different basic minihum designs, including the original Epiphone design (which was very good), the original Gibson Firebird design, the Johnny Smith design (a combination of the Epi and Firebird design) and the recent Gibson ultra-cheap design (steer clear) put together for their under-$1000 "J" type guitars. These design differences are largely about the way the magnets live in the coils and about the amount of magnetic flux available.

You also need to know that because they're minihums, the physical size prevents them from getting to standard humbucker levels in terms of magnet or coil winds, etc. They're also also not going to have the phase differences that the standard humbuckers do.

As a result, if I were buying minihums, I'd be talking to Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, maybe Arcane. You're going to spend more money than if you go to GFS, but I guarantee you'll get a better pickup. It's a lot easier to make a reasonable full-size humbucker cheaply than it is a good minihum.

Regarding P90s. Honestly, P90's were better left alone, and they WERE, all these years, until they started getting more popular. Then the aftermarket winders came sniffing around. Some offered "lower noise" products -- which were just underwound P90's that lost them their balls. Some offered overwound products, which turned them into a noisy mess. The truth is (and bear in mind that I have one p90 from 1949 and quite a few from the mid-50's), the classic Gibson P90, wound to ordinary vintage specs, is the best P90. You'll find aftermarket owners telling you theirs are superb and a step up, but they've spent the money already and probably wouldn't tell if they weren't. And most wouldn't know the difference.

But here's the issue with P90's. They're noisy. It's not a pickup you want to use with high gain unless you're going to be NOWHERE near the amp, and it's nothing you want to use near the neon beer signs and the recycling ice machine in a bar. It will pick up Radio India on a clear day in Cleveland OH. There are "noiseless" P90's. These usually don't sound quite like a real P90. With one exception. The best noiseless P90 on the market, hands down, is the Kinman Noiseless P90 (they have a different name for it, but it's easy to find). It's the only one that really sounds like a vintage P90 but eliminates the hum and RF interference (assuming the rest of your guitar is grounded and shielded).

And there's this: Never ever ever ever ever buy a set of balanced P90's that labels one the neck pickup and one the bridge pickup. In the beginning all guitars came with a single kind of pickup in both positions. Hotrodders like Bill Lawrence began to make hotter pickups in the 1970s, manufacturers got on board later, and it wasn't until the 1980's that the manufacturers began offering pickups with a lower-wind pickup in the neck than at the bridge. Understand this: You Don't Have To Do It That Way, and it's Not Necessarily An Improvement. Yes, the neck pickup will be louder, due to its position, than the bridge pickup. Amazing how easy it is to deal with that. In reference to P90's, order both or all three (depending on your guitar's setup) with the same output. Yup. Trust me. In fact, I'd order the minihums the same way.

And finally, the physical size of your minihums means that you're going to have clearer, crisper bottom end from your neck pickup. Less Mud than you may be used to with a standard humbucker. If you're playing with gain, that's a very good thing.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Robbgnarly

^ I just linked him GFS mini HB to P90 rings and a Dimarzio SD P-90 read the post old one....
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: