Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
brandon2784
UG's Oli Herbert wannabe

Technique?

How is mine? I changed my alternate picking about 2 years ago but haven't made much progress. Are there any flaws or anything that may hold me back that you guys can see?

Oh and excuse the messy room :p

-Emil Werstler

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

brandon2784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

your musicality and tone

aka all anybody cares about
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
brandon2784
UG's Oli Herbert wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
your musicality and tone

Seeing as it wasn't a song I posted and tone is a matter of opinion... I was kinda just hoping to get some helpful feedback on my alternate picking technique.

-Emil Werstler

Quote:

Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
Guitarra_acores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
your musicality and tone

It's just him picking, probably with a cheap guitar (Ibanez GRX ?), it's harsh to say they are lacking from the clip.

I'm not an expert on technique at all but it seems pretty solid to me, you look relaxed, make small movements and look to be in control of what you are doing...Just wait for the more technical players in here to give you a better judgement.

How long you've been playing?
Guitarra_acores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Your skills don't exist in a vacuum though do they? Your technique is meaningless up until the point you start applying it - nobody can really make any objective observations about your ability unless they see you using it in an appropriate context.

So, if you want useful, constructive advice on your techique post a video of you actually using your techniical skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Geldin

Did literally everyone who responded lose their ability to answer a question? Dude asked how his technique looks.

Your hand looks ok, though the way you're pushing your thumb back indicates that there is some tension in your index finger. Usually, I wrap my thumb slightly around my index when holding the pick, which is the most relaxed I've ever felt picking. Your left hand movements looked good and precise. Your synchronization was on the ball, too, which a lot of people don't focus on at higher speeds. Overall, you're in good shape.

We're the technique forum, guys. When someone asks if their technique looks good, they aren't looking for a philosophical answer of "it only matters in x situation and is meaningless otherwise". That's musicality, which is subjective. Relaxation, synchronization, and economy of motion are objective. Answer objective questions with objective answers.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
brandon2784
UG's Oli Herbert wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
Did literally everyone who responded lose their ability to answer a question? Dude asked how his technique looks.

Your hand looks ok, though the way you're pushing your thumb back indicates that there is some tension in your index finger. Usually, I wrap my thumb slightly around my index when holding the pick, which is the most relaxed I've ever felt picking. Your left hand movements looked good and precise. Your synchronization was on the ball, too, which a lot of people don't focus on at higher speeds. Overall, you're in good shape.

We're the technique forum, guys. When someone asks if their technique looks good, they aren't looking for a philosophical answer of "it only matters in x situation and is meaningless otherwise". That's musicality, which is subjective. Relaxation, synchronization, and economy of motion are objective. Answer objective questions with objective answers.

Thanks for the helpful answer. For a second I thought I had posted in the musicality and tone section!

-Emil Werstler

Quote:

Last edited by brandon2784 : 11-21-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
brandon2784
UG's Oli Herbert wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarra_acores
It's just him picking, probably with a cheap guitar (Ibanez GRX ?), it's harsh to say they are lacking from the clip.

I'm not an expert on technique at all but it seems pretty solid to me, you look relaxed, make small movements and look to be in control of what you are doing...Just wait for the more technical players in here to give you a better judgement.

How long you've been playing?

Playing a Jackson DXMG with Dimarzio through a boss ME-70 pedal and Marshall MG100 with a Crate GT 500h. I was recorded at quite a low volume due to it being pretty late and on my phone

Also SORRY for the double post, I couldn't get the copy paste thing on my phone to work.

-Emil Werstler

Quote:

Old 11-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Anon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin

This.

While telling people things such as music being more important than technique etc... can be very helpful for people who're too obsessive with their technique or think that speed is the answer to everything, at the end of the day if people ask about their technique in the technique forum they should get an answer concerning their technique.

If the TS wanted advice on his musicality and tone he'd post in Musician Talk and EG and/or GG&A respectively.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: