Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Kirborg

what is the best method for learning multiple scales??

I've done a lot of practicing in C Maj lately and I feel like i'm starting to get the hang of it but I would like to know G Maj too so I can jam in both time signatures with my friends. However I'm kind of worried that these two will blend into each other in my head since they only differ one note.

How are professional guitarist able to improv in 12 scales in their head without accidentally confusing one for the other? Is there some sort of trick so you keep them from overlapping? Thanks a lot for any advice.
Kirborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
derek8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirborg
I can jam in both time signatures

You mean key signatures, not time.

And you're right that G major has only one note different from C major, but the scales start in different places. G major starts on a G, C major starts on a C.

As for remembering them... that will take time and practice, just like everything else to do with guitar.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8520
And you're right that G major has only one note different from C major, but the scales start in different places. G major starts on a G, C major starts on a C.

you'd think i'd be screaming at my screen right now, yelling "RESOLVES NOT STARTS FFS" but i'm enjoying chef john and hot pockets so i'll do it later
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Bad Kharmel

they all have the same pattern of intervals, learn one and you've learned them all
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Kharmel
they all have the same pattern of intervals, learn one and you've learned them all

in theory? yes. on guitar? yes. but you can go ahead and tell that to a pianist if you want. see what happens.

Quote:
I've done a lot of practicing in C Maj lately and I feel like i'm starting to get the hang of it but I would like to know G Maj too so I can jam in both time signatures with my friends. However I'm kind of worried that these two will blend into each other in my head since they only differ one note.

How are professional guitarist able to improv in 12 scales in their head without accidentally confusing one for the other? Is there some sort of trick so you keep them from overlapping? Thanks a lot for any advice.

ultimately, it's experience. we're familiar with all 12 major and minor keys (because you should be thinking in keys, not scales). as you work at it more, you'll be able to make better use of the resources you have, and be able to learn to utilize new resources.

until you develop the experience necessary, you have ears. use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:

Yeah. That "trick" is called ear training.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:52 AM   #7
Muffinz

Well, it's like this:
All scales (and chords for that matter) can be moved anywhere up and down the neck and it will still be the same kind of scale/chord. If you take the C Major scale that you have practiced, which has it root note C on the 8th fret of the 6th string (among other places), and move that whole "shape" down so that the root is on G (3rd fret 6th string) instead, you will now have a G major scale and can easily transpose all those licks you've learned in C to G instead, thus allowing you to be able to play with your mates! You may be familiar with this whole idea from bar chords and if you haven't gotten that far yet, well this is why those can be moved around all over the place as well.

One word of caution though. While this is very handy indeed and allows you to do so much more than before, it is important to not fall into the trap of just thinking in "scale boxes/patterns" as many have pointed out before me. You should always try to hear to where it resolves and eventually you would want to start knowing the notes of these keys and scales (as well as on your fretboard) that you're using. Other than that feel free to jam as much as you possibly can! It will help you develop your musicianship more than anything else!
HAVE FUN
Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Kirborg

Thank you all for the input! Ear training sounds like good advice, that is definitely something I'll have to explore. Also keeping in mind starting notes and such would probably be good idea too since so far I've just been trying to learn patterns with disregard for the modes somewhat.... looks like I have a lot of work in front of me
Kirborg is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: