Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Guitarra_acores

Beginner help

First of all sorry for the bad audio quality, I don't have equipment to make it better than it is.

I have been trying to learn to sing for six months. I'm still a very bad singer, obviously, and I would like to know if I'm making any obvious mistakes and especially if you can tell from the recording if I'm singing from my diaphragm or not.

The main issue I have is my voice sounds weak and seems kind of like I'm whispering even though I'm trying to sound as I do in regular speech. Is this caused by bad technique or is it just a characteristic of my voice?

Thanks for any input

Guitarra_acores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

I actually like your voice technique. It does come off as being a little soft, but I think that works in your favor. The louder you sing, the more forced it sounds.

Now, having said that, I think it would be worthwhile for you take voice lessons. You should add some variation, or dynamics, to your voice - and taking pro voice lessons would help you work on using your diaphragm and producing a bit more volume, when needed.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Guitarra_acores

Thanks a lot! Getting lessons is definitely in my plans but for at least 6 months it won't be possible, I would like to keep improving until then. My main concern for now is pitch and breath. I will wait for the lessons to add more colour and variety and sound less monotonous, like you sugested.

Is it possible to tell form the recording if I'm singing from the diaphragm? I feel like my belly is supporting me but it's still a bit confusing to me.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
omidmash

Sing louder dammit. Don't be embarrassed, you sing better than me and I'm the vocalist of me band.
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarra_acores
The main issue I have is my voice sounds weak and seems kind of like I'm whispering even though I'm trying to sound as I do in regular speech. Is this caused by bad technique or is it just a characteristic of my voice?

Bad technique.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Guitarra_acores

Quote:
Originally Posted by omidmash
Sing louder dammit. Don't be embarrassed, you sing better than me and I'm the vocalist of me band.

Yeah I'm still very self-conscious about singing, it makes the problem even worse. I'll try to be less shy about it Thanks for the encouragment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Bad technique.

Thanks for the feedback

Rate This Thread: