Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

Replacement pups for an RG

I have an Ibanez RG Prestige 1451 (hardtail) which I love, brilliant neck and it sounds pretty good.

I think the stock pups are starting to let it down a bit though, they get a bit muddy for high gain and for cleans and bluesier stuff I don't know... They just lack a certain something. The split coil tones lack warmth too, so it's hard to emulate strat-like tones.

I play a lot less metal now and more fusion, blues, classic rock and funkier stuff. So I had the idea of changing the neck pup for a single coil like Paul Gilbert does in this video:

So ideally I'd have an HSS setup, with a coil tap switch for the humbucker.

How hard will it be the change the neck pup for a single coil? And can I get a good HSS set for under 200?

Last edited by ChucklesMginty : 11-23-2012 at 04:55 PM.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

It wouldn't be hard to change it to a single coil, but you'd probably want to buy a new HSS pickguard.

As far as buying a set goes, I would never do that. I prefer to pick which pickups I want rather than using whatever comes in a set.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

Oh I didn't mean a pre-packaged set.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I don't know about the pricing in the UK, but here in the states I could easily put together an HSS set of duncans or dimarzios for $150. Just look around and see what's out there.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
stonyman65
Unregistered User

You could just get a humbucker from hell (its designed to sound like a single coil, PG used them a lot in the Mr Big days)

For bridge, can't go wrong with a Super Distortion, Tone Zone or Steve's Special. Those 3 can cover pretty much anything you can think of, especially the Steve's Special.

As for converting to HSS, you would need 3 new pickups AND an new HSS pickguard. You might be able to order a custom one from pickguard paradise but I can't be sure. That's probably gonna run you about $50 or so. I don't think Ibanez sells any replacements to the public, so it's custom or nothing.

It'd be cheaper and easier just to replace the bridge and neck pickups with new humbuckers and be done with it. New pickups are around $60-$70 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
pigeonmafia
Djents into Mordor

Easiest way to put a single coil in a bucker slot, would be to use a single coil adapter ring, like this:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/thumbna...maxx=0&maxy=300
RGD7421 w/ BKP Aftermaths
6505+
Marshall 1960A 4x12
AxeFx II
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraven
locking trems are annoying. id suggest only thinking about getting one after you've gone through puberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
+ 1 million
pigeonmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
bass-fale47

Quote:
Easiest way to put a single coil in a bucker slot, would be to use a single coil adapter ring

Or you could do what Paul has done to the RG in the video and just drill new holes for the screws that hold the pickup in place.

Here's another video with a better view at 19.45ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQXG...h-vrec#t=19m45s
bass-fale47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

I prefer Paul's way because it puts the pickup closer to the neck, which is ultra important on a 24 fret guitar. Will that involve drilling the body or just the pick guard?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
I prefer Paul's way because it puts the pickup closer to the neck, which is ultra important on a 24 fret guitar. Will that involve drilling the body or just the pick guard?

Just the pickguard assuming that there is enough space in the routing underneath.

If not, you wouldn't notice anyway so it's not that big of an issue.

Quote:
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty

Um, that's actually not remotely important at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Um, that's actually not remotely important at all...

I think he is referring to the "the neck position on a 22 fret guitar sounds better than on a 24 fret guitar because of the pickups's distance" thing. It's really personal preference. I've played guitars that sound equally good no matter what pickup was used regardless of where it was positioned on the body. I don't think it really makes that much of a difference unless you are specifically looking for that stereotypical Strat/Tele/LP sound. Honestly, I don't think most people can tell the difference anyways unless someone told them so.

Quote:
Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

My goal is usually to get the neck pickup as far away from the bridge as possible. But if we are talking about catching harmonics, the 29th fret would be the ideal position for the neck pickup. I honestly don't know how all that stuff about the pickup being in a harmonic position works though, I've never noticed anything particularly special about a 22 fret guitar's neck pickup over a 24 fret.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
My goal is usually to get the neck pickup as far away from the bridge as possible. But if we are talking about catching harmonics, the 29th fret would be the ideal position for the neck pickup. I honestly don't know how all that stuff about the pickup being in a harmonic position works though, I've never noticed anything particularly special about a 22 fret guitar's neck pickup over a 24 fret.

From what I understand it is supposed to sound "warmer" due to the pickup being farther up on the body. There is about an inch and a half difference between where a pickup is on a 22 fret guitar (ala Les Pauls, Starts, Teles) and a 24 fret guitar (your "shred" guitars)...

Quote:
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Well, I know all that. I'm talking about the harmonics of the position having an effect on the pickup. On a 22 fret guitar, the neck pickup sits at the [theoretical] 24th fret, which is a harmonic position. But I've never noticed any beautiful harmonics coming from the neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar, so I question the validity of that theory.

Rate This Thread: