Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
KrymsinViking

New pups for Epi LP

Hey folks, i'v been thinking about upgrading the pickups in my 05 standard. I play mostly metal (early Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, newer stuff like Trivium and The Sword) and wanted to know what you guys think would be some good pups for my guitar. This guitar is mostly used for playing stuff in C Standard like The Sword.

I'v got EMGs in my Hellraiser so I'm not really looking to cover the same ground twice there.

I'd prefer pickups with an option for chrome covers as opposed to open coil so I can maintain the current aesthetic of the guitar.

All suggestions are welcome.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

What's your current amp?
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
KrymsinViking

The dreaded line 6 spyder, fear not however because it is soon to be replaced by a 6505.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Props on giving The Sword some love

One of my favorite bands, right there.

In terms of pickups, you could always put the covers that are on your stock pups on the new ones. It involves some very simple soldering that you can't really screw up in any way, that I know of.

I recommend the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck. Extremely versatile. If you have the extra dough, BareKnuckles makes some excellent pickups, although, if you're in the states, they are VERY pricey. BG Pickups would be a good alternative there. The Hellabucker would suit you well. Going Dimarzio, CrunchLab, D Activator, or Super Distortion in the bridge, LiquiFire in the neck. Other good Duncan options are the Distortion, and Custom Custom. Avoid the Dimebucker, whatever you do. Another good option for your neck pickup from Duncan would be the AlNiCo II, although it can get a muddy when you get into really high-gain territory.

Personally, I have an Epi LP Standard, and I have a Pearly Gates in the Bridge and an AlNiCo II Pro in the neck. Great combo. The Pearly Gates is really clear and doesn't get muddy very easily, with a good amount of Harmonics, and the AlNiCo II has warm cleans and is pretty creamy when you run it into some overdrive. Don't let it fool you, though, it's still got some bit to it. On a Les Paul, I really like these two because of how bright and clear the PG is versus the Warm and full tone of the AlNiCo II. Using tone/volume knobs and the pickup selector, you can get just about any mixture of bright/warm you could possibly want.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Wait until you have the 6505 then.

You can't possibly know what your guitar is lacking in tone until you have said amp.
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: