Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
B.Cross

New amp need advice

Hey UG I sold my classic 30 because at higher volumes the tube rattle was ridiculous even with a tube tamer. So I sold it, now I'm looking for a replacement amp. I chose the classic 30 in the first place because it got the best classic rock tones available to me we play Rush, Zeppelin, ZZ top, Skynyrd and even venture into early 90's hard rock not really any metal except for a Powermad song we do. But I was using pedals for the metal tones on the 30.

So I went to GC tried many amps and have a valveking 112 in my rehearsal room currently and of course I have until Jan 31rst to exchange but what caught my attention about the valveking was the drive channel, I noticed that when the gain is set at about 3 or 4 I was getting some good classic rock tones out of it, or am I mistaken and just hear the peavey circuitry I'm used to hearing? Anyway I could spend more than $399 on an amp but I tried the new Marshall dsl 40 c and was not impressed by it also tried the vox ac15 and it was good but not as good as the classic was in my opinion. I don't want to go above 800 if possible and even lower if I can and still have something reliable and that sounds great for classic rock I can always add a pedal to the amp for more gain.

I really need some input on this there are way too many amps to try out and not enough time. So anything would help guys.

Thanks
B.Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
Bladed-Vaults
Broceidon king of Brocean

If your a peavey fan . might find a used jsx combo... go from classic to... not metal but hard rock.. and everything in between.
key to teh valve king is retube and get rid of the vk speaker for a v30.... can pull some hotrod sounds then.
Bladed-Vaults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

used marshall JCM2000 DSL
used Egnater Renegade
Egnater Tweaker 40
Vox AC30 maybeee
Jet City JCA20
are cleans important
Mesa .50 cal
Peavey Classic 50
Orange OR15/Tiny Terror/Dual Terror
H&K Statesman
Peavey JSX maybe...probably not

I'd go with the Egnater Tweaker if I were you
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
B.Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
If your a peavey fan . might find a used jsx combo... go from classic to... not metal but hard rock.. and everything in between.
key to teh valve king is retube and get rid of the vk speaker for a v30.... can pull some hotrod sounds then.

Hey thanks for the response, Yeah tried a JSX and it had too much gain even at low settings. I need something with less gain than the orange channel provided on the JSX.
And you are saying that a speaker change would help because...... the valveking speaker breaks up easier? I did notice that if you turned up the gain on the VK to 8 or above it started to flab fart out like a hot rod deluxe.

Oh and not stuck on peavey at all but have used them for over 2 decades because of availability in my area.

Last edited by B.Cross : 11-22-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
Bladed-Vaults

they do exactly that.. VK speakers in all aspects are just sort of bleh..

mr. cathbard can explain tubes better than anyone else here so ill let him come chime in on those. but the stock tubes peavey gave the VK NEED to go.

I reccomended a v30 because the low end doesnt muffle out and theres a very nice mid range crunch.. vs the gt75 witch has sort of a scooped mid range built in.
but at the point of getting a vk and then tubing it and then swappin the speaker your in the price range for a much better amp anyway.

if the JSX was too hot for ya. what about the egnater tweaker Ihartfood mentioned.
thats a very well made "vintage" voiced amp. finding one to demo yourself may be difficult.
my local GC had one for a grand total of about 3 days :/
Old 11-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

I gurantee your GC will have Egnaters. go try several. you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #7
Bladed-Vaults

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
I gurantee your GC will have Egnaters. go try several. you will be pleasantly surprised.

all the colorado GC have is 6505s and silly modeling amps.... I think GC hates colorado XD.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
B.Cross

Quote:
they do exactly that.. VK speakers in all aspects are just sort of bleh..

mr. cathbard can explain tubes better than anyone else here so ill let him come chime in on those. but the stock tubes peavey gave the VK NEED to go.

I reccomended a v30 because the low end doesnt muffle out and theres a very nice mid range crunch.. vs the gt75 witch has sort of a scooped mid range built in.
but at the point of getting a vk and then tubing it and then swappin the speaker your in the price range for a much better amp anyway.

if the JSX was too hot for ya. what about the egnater tweaker Ihartfood mentioned.
thats a very well made "vintage" voiced amp. finding one to demo yourself may be difficult.
my local GC had one for a grand total of about 3 days :/

Yes tried the tweaker wasn't very impressed with it but only spent an hour with it.
It reminded me of a Jet City 20 watt in some ways but I will try it again but I figure an hour with an amp you should be able to tell if you like it or not.

I would like to try a fender supersonic but there isn't one at the GC in my city. Do you have any other suggestions? Maybe I should just get a classic 50.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #9
B.Cross

One more thing about the tweaker I noticed is that I was constantly flipping the switches back and forth and started wondering if this amp was designed to keep you desiring a better tone than what you had in front of you lol. It reminded me of when I got my first tonelab le and was constantly tweaking that thing because of all of the options.

I tried the 15 watt tweaker.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
rasmusschulz
UG's tittie wrestler

I'd say go for the Orange Dual terror! If it's a bit to expensive then go used..

IMO it produces some of the best gain in that price range. And the clean channel is absolutely fantastic too!
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big ****load of pedals that i don't know how to use..
rasmusschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #11
B.Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmusschulz
I'd say go for the Orange Dual terror! If it's a bit to expensive then go used..

IMO it produces some of the best gain in that price range. And the clean channel is absolutely fantastic too!

They do have a couple of oranges at my local GC I will try them out. Right now I'm considering going back to a classic though in the 50 watt version. But would like to have some more versatility on the gain channel such as the valveking has. I can't believe that I like the cheap peavey it's kinda like falling for a girl that is average but she likes to stick out her tongue when she has sex which makes it more attractive or intriguing.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #12
Bladed-Vaults

Ya know.... I sound like a broken record. But the vypertube 60 would do.. it ha the classic circuit in its amp section.. and due to the valves it's nice n warm. Not stale n processed like other modelers.
Can wrestle fender cleAns from it if your patient.
In your price range.
Would do any thing you'll want and much much more. Has a brit combo that gets awesome zepplin tones.
Idk. I usually recommend it to poor metal kids. Cuz it's got gain for miles but it would actually do you justice... if you can get past it's ridiculous looks
Old 11-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #13
B.Cross

Quote:
Ya know.... I sound like a broken record. But the vypertube 60 would do.. it ha the classic circuit in its amp section.. and due to the valves it's nice n warm. Not stale n processed like other modelers.
Can wrestle fender cleAns from it if your patient.
In your price range.
Would do any thing you'll want and much much more. Has a brit combo that gets awesome zepplin tones.
Idk. I usually recommend it to poor metal kids. Cuz it's got gain for miles but it would actually do you justice... if you can get past it's ridiculous looks

I completely agree with you a tremendous sounding amplifier but I have been through 3 vypyr 60's with GC earlier this year and all 3 failed man what an amp but if I had kept it I would have regretted it.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #14
Bladed-Vaults

Wow bad luck much lol. I keep mine in my room at home for those two o clock nights when a riff hits me.
Never a problem.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #15
B.Cross

Quote:
Wow bad luck much lol. I keep mine in my room at home for those two o clock nights when a riff hits me.
Never a problem.

I wanted to try again but they won't be available till next year and the buzz is that the tube 60 and 120 are getting an upgrade in the noise gate and the control panel
Old 11-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #16
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
used marshall JCM2000 DSL
used Egnater Renegade
Egnater Tweaker 40
Vox AC30 maybeee
Jet City JCA20
are cleans important
Mesa .50 cal
Peavey Classic 50
Orange OR15/Tiny Terror/Dual Terror
H&K Statesman
Peavey JSX maybe...probably not

I'd go with the Egnater Tweaker if I were you

+1

I would vote to throw an Egnater Rebel 30 in there as well. He could even get one of the bigger Jet Cities with his budget.

As for the VK, they're decent amps, but with that price range, you can do SO much better. I mean, they're excellent modding platforms, but there are better options, without a doubt. If you like it, though, tone IS subjective. Your ears are the deciding factor.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: