Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Kebbles

Need help urgently

Iya

It's close to christmas so it's the only time I get to get guitar stuff as i'm poor the rest of the year.

So basically I need a lot of help and anyone willing to point me in the right direction will be my best mate.

So currently I own a 2011 USA Strat Topica sunburst (I think?) And an Ibanez RG1527 Prestige with a Bareknuckle Painkiller in the bridge.

So I love to play shoegaze, alternative, Metal and rocky stuff.

www.soundcloud.com/kebbles/twinkles - Just a lil example there.

Distortion wise I'm sorted with my guitars and amp.

So I bought a Pod xt a year or 2 back and really liked the effects. But i'm not too hot on the whole amp modelling thing, as I mentioned I really dig the tone I get straight from my bugera. But it broke a few times and in the end just went on me completely.

So I haven't been able to play my dreamy spacey stuff since, which has been depressing. So what I really need help with is;

With a budget of around 250 possibly more if i'm dead lucky. What am I best getting?

I was considering doing my own pedalboard thing, and i've found some pedals i'm really into. But I imagine with buying the housing unit for the pedals, and the power pack AND finally the pedals. (Lets say just a delay and reverb to start off) I'd say that's gonna go over my budget right?

But then if i were to get a multi-effects unit I don't know what units are best for reverb and effects specifically. And Ideally i'd like to bypass it and use my own amps distortion (Which I don't even know if that's possible) and I haven't got a clue how much a good unit would come to.

So sorry for that wall of text, but I love you if you've read all this and fancy helping me out.

Thanks a lot rockstars and much love

Kebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Dude, reading 'urgently' on the title then seeing 'It's close to christmas' did not make me a happy panda.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Kebbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Dude, reading 'urgently' on the title then seeing 'It's close to christmas' did not make me a happy panda.

Payday for mummy and daddy this week. Can't afford to not buy what I need by friday. Otherwise chances are i'll be without a present.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
tubetime86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebbles
Payday for mummy and daddy this week. Can't afford to not buy what I need by friday. Otherwise chances are i'll be without a present.

OK, I'll accept it then.

OK, well I guess you are at a tough spot. Buying a multi-effects unit like a POD seems wasteful if you don't want to use the modeling (though I'd wonder if maybe you'd still use it with headphones at times?) and getting a full set up capable of shoegaze is time consuming and expensive.

Given that your budget is a little low for a top-shelf multi-effects I think you should focus on a single, stand-alone pedal. For shoegazey kind of stuff your focus would be delay. In my opinion that should be your focus; get yourself a really great delay.

Ideally you could look for a used Line 6 M13 which is a multi-effects board with no modeling built in... But those are way out of budget new so I don't know that you'll get that lucky.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 11-21-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Kebbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
OK, I'll accept it then.

Give me a minute to go through your post.

I just read it again and realised I write 'so' at the start of almost every paragraph.

Feel free to hate me.

Any help is appreciated though
Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
tubetime86

I just edited my thoughts above... Nothing too specific, but that's kind of the way I'd be thinking about it. Some other guys will be in later with more advice, right now is kind of the dead time on here.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
kolenik
bithcez love pedalz

I'd say go pedalboard. Multieffects are fine, but in the end you'll want individual pedals. For shoegaze and post-whatever stuff, you'll gonna need a delay, a reverb and probably a fuzz. Other stuff can be added later. Until you get a power supply with isolated jacks, you can just run them with daisy chain, 3 pedals isn't much. You can easily make DIY pedalboard, especially with so few pedals. Get a wooden plate and OMG IT'S A PEDALBOARD!!!1. Also, 250 pounds is not so little money. Go for used stuff. For fuzz you can get your average EHX Big Muff, for delay, Ibanez DE7 are sooo cheap and so goood (for the money of course). Reverb... Shimverb is fine, but for shoegaze, you'll want something with reverse reverb. So RV-7, Cathedral... racks are the best option here thouh. Alesis Midiverb II all the way, baby. To wrap it up - you can get all these pedals for less than 250 pounds.
kolenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
tubetime86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolenik
I'd say go pedalboard. Multieffects are fine, but in the end you'll want individual pedals. For shoegaze and post-whatever stuff, you'll gonna need a delay, a reverb and probably a fuzz. Other stuff can be added later. Until you get a power supply with isolated jacks, you can just run them with daisy chain, 3 pedals isn't much. You can easily make DIY pedalboard, especially with so few pedals. Get a wooden plate and OMG IT'S A PEDALBOARD!!!1. Also, 250 pounds is not so little money. Go for used stuff. For fuzz you can get your average EHX Big Muff, for delay, Ibanez DE7 are sooo cheap and so goood (for the money of course). Reverb... Shimverb is fine, but for shoegaze, you'll want something with reverse reverb. So RV-7, Cathedral... racks are the best option here thouh. Alesis Midiverb II all the way, baby. To wrap it up - you can get all these pedals for less than 250 pounds.

Very good info here. Nice job.

I suppose you are right, he could probably get a fuzz, delay, and reverb in that budget if he looked around used. Not sure that will be an option given the urgency though.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Kebbles

Quote:

I'm feelin more of a pedalboard right now myself. I know if I got a multi-effects i'd still be somewhat dissapointed. Also when you say daisy chain? I don't really know too much about pedals and effects and stuff so I'm sorry for not being down with the kids ahah

Also I feel reverb is quite a massive must atm. You made a good point of reminding me about fuzz though. And obviously Delay is also needed.

Do you guys rate this reverb much?

http://www.zcatpedals.com/?dir=view&id=big-reverb
Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
kolenik
bithcez love pedalz

@tubetime: True that. If you'll only go new, EHX Big Muff is still pretty cheap (not sure for pounds, but like 55 euros). Mooer Shimverb should be like 70 pounds I guess (donno about your customs taxes and such), as for new delay... it depends if you want to go analog or digital, but eventually you'll probably want both. Memory Boy does fine as far as I know, as for new digital ones... someone's gonna bash me here, but Danelectro Echo is pretty good.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

any time anyone says their amp is great but don't actually list what it is, it makes me suspicious. Not saying it always turns out to be an MG (now I've said this you probably have an SLO ), but a lot of the time it is.

EDIT: ^ if you're willing to take a chance and buy from china you can get the shimverb for abour 27 delivered.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
Kebbles

Quote:
@tubetime: True that. If you'll only go new, EHX Big Muff is still pretty cheap (not sure for pounds, but like 55 euros). Mooer Shimverb should be like 70 pounds I guess (donno about your customs taxes and such), as for new delay... it depends if you want to go analog or digital, but eventually you'll probably want both. Memory Boy does fine as far as I know, as for new digital ones... someone's gonna bash me here, but Danelectro Echo is pretty good.

Can the shimverb go real spacey? Like smashing pumpkins spacey. I like to do a lot of volume swells. So the longer the sustain of the reverb and the more overtones that shine the better!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
kolenik
bithcez love pedalz

Quote:
I'm feelin more of a pedalboard right now myself. I know if I got a multi-effects i'd still be somewhat dissapointed. Also when you say daisy chain? I don't really know too much about pedals and effects and stuff so I'm sorry for not being down with the kids ahah

Also I feel reverb is quite a massive must atm. You made a good point of reminding me about fuzz though. And obviously Delay is also needed.

Do you guys rate this reverb much?

http://www.zcatpedals.com/?dir=view&id=big-reverb

Hmm, first time I've heard of this pedal. You'll want a good reverb pedal. If you can shift the 250 pounds right, get Hardwire RV-7 or evern better, the new Supernatural. But you'll probably not have enough for a fuzz and delay pedals. Maybe TC Electronic Hall of Fame.

Daisy chaining is just splitting the mA from one power power supply thingy to three pedals through X-way cable.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
Kebbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
any time anyone says their amp is great but don't actually list what it is, it makes me suspicious. Not saying it always turns out to be an MG (now I've said this you probably have an SLO ), but a lot of the time it is.

EDIT: ^ if you're willing to take a chance and buy from china you can get the shimverb for abour 27 delivered.

I play a Bugera 333xl which is based on the old peavey's like the 5150 and such. I really quite like it.

It's a cut above an MG at least ahah.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
kolenik
bithcez love pedalz

Shimverb can get pretty spacey. To sum up: Shimverb, Memory Boy, EHX Big Muff Pi. Or if you only wanna order through for example thomann, take TC Electronic Hall Of Fame instead of Shimverb. No shimmer setting though. It's under 250 (all three pedals from thomann, ofc).
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
tubetime86

Quote:

I had a Memory Boy and the modulation on it is pretty useless, I'd save my money and get a Memory Toy if I was going that route.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
kolenik
bithcez love pedalz

Oh, okay, this then. Haven't tried the Boy, but my friend has it and says it's good...
Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #18
tubetime86

Quote:
Oh, okay, this then. Haven't tried the Boy, but my friend has it and says it's good...

I never got a single decent sound out of the modulation in the two years or so I owned it... Literally, not once. On top of that the modulation never seems to completely turn off, making the pedal always sound a bit synthy. I just didn't like it at all.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
I play a Bugera 333xl which is based on the old peavey's like the 5150 and such. I really quite like it.

It's a cut above an MG at least ahah.

ah ok, yeah it's probably alright. never tried one, but assuming it's a clone of the peaveys (i've tried them) i'm sure it's fine.

i'd have said the shimverb could get pretty spacey, but i don't really play that type of stuff, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
kolenik
bithcez love pedalz

If going new, I'd really get Shimverb, DD3, Big Muff then. It's under 250, and I know for a fact that all these pedals are really good and best entry level pedals on such a short notice. If you've got time looking for used stuff, do that.

Rate This Thread: