Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
aik500000

Need some real advice

Hello. I wasn't sure exactly where to post this. I am in serious need of some help, so if you guys can contribute I will be very thankful. I know this sounds really cliche, but my dad does not approve of the music I play and listen to. He is into what could be considered by many to be "elevator music", while I am into everything from blues to metal. The problem is, that the amps I use are both really loud (50 and 120 watts, and they are tube amps). If he can even faintly hear my playing in another room, he will literally barge in, unplug my amplifier, and angrily berate me about how I need to stop playing "disgusting, cacophanous devil music void of any melody" (you know, because ACDC is "devil music"). I can barely even play guitar anymore, because if I want to turn up either of my amps to a point to where they remotely sound good, he will go off. Moving out isn't an option, since I am still in high school (although I would definitely do it if I could). What do I do? Thanks.
aik500000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Reason with him? You're in high school, don't put up with it. You have to show him that there are other genres of music in the world. My parents hate my music, but I still play my amp loud and they're okay with it because I actually enjoy doing it. Your dad should be happy you've found something you're really passionate about.

What amps are you playing through?
Worst case you could buy an amp that allows you to plug headphones into it (Micro cube but it isn't anywhere near as good as your amps). Or get something like the POD and play into your computer and use headphones in that regard.

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
aik500000

Thanks, I play through a 6505+ and an Albion TCT50. I wouldn't want to touch a roland cube after saving up forever to get these amps. I have tried telling him that this is the music I love, and he replied with a "well, I don't like it, so turn it down."
Old 11-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
ghobby

Get a headphone amp(line 6 pocket pod, Zoom G1, etc.) or practice amp (small roland, vox, marshall etc.) All should be under a $150, I use a microcube to practice, its great with headphones.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Well the 6505+ isn't much of a bedroom use amp in my experience, play through it when you're home alone if you can. Have you considered selling either amp and get a combo? They can be had for a fair price, and are more suitable for bedroom levels IMO.

I stand by the Pod idea though. You can play it through your computer.

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

definitely a POD.

your parents can have their opinion, you can have yours. neither is right at the end of the day. that being said, you have very loud amps (definitely not bedroom amps!), so you do need to be careful with volume. something like a pod will let you get decent (not as good as your amps, but close) sounds for practicing- then you can use your big amps for gigging.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i think the thing is not to bite your nose off to spite your face- you have to live with him, and unfortunately it's his house and he's the boss (even if he is a complete dick).

probably some kind of headphone modeller or computer based modeller would be the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
ne14t

You wont get either of those amps to a level that your dad is going to approve of as it sounds like if he even hears your guitar strings making noise he is going to come in and give you shit. I would take the POD idea to heart or a computer interface and guitar rig with some headphones or something, yeah it wont sound as awesome but if you are just practicing it doesn't really matter, then when the parents are out crank the 6505 until you piss the neighbors off.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
aik500000

Thanks guys for your advice. I know these are not bedroom amps; I use them in the basement to try to reduce the sound for the rest of the house. Sadly, I've never fallen in love with a combo, but I will consider the POD.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

What kind of a cabinet are you using? 4x12?

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Old 11-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
samuraigoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i think the thing is not to bite your nose off to spite your face- you have to live with him, and unfortunately it's his house and he's the boss (even if he is a complete dick).

probably some kind of headphone modeller or computer based modeller would be the thing.

This. Unfortunately you can't do much about parents being total dicks unless you have a clear case for abuse. You could practice without your guitar plugged in, use headphones or switch to a POD. Or you could buy something like an orange micro crush, which is a very small (also pretty cheap) amp that still has a pretty nice sound (either clean or with high gain) for a solid state.

Your dad seems like the sort who complains when the church uses an electric guitar to play "silent night". I know a few people like that.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
X-plorer88
Unlisted User

Tell him you're atheist.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz

On the practicing with headphones front, these are all good options:

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1169092.gc

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-...875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...306-i1401677.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...473-i1402140.gc

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...554-i1124641.gc

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...715-i1387080.gc

They all offer things like metronomes, tuners, amp modeling, etc.

There's are also apps for mobile devices that can do some of what these can do.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
aik500000

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-plorer88
Tell him you're atheist.

Well I'm Jewish, so that probably won't work.

Anyways, thanks guys; I will consider a POD/etc... as a solution. But for now, I guess I am limited to playing when no one is home.
I am using a 4X12 in case anyone wants to know.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #15
gpme332

As a parent of a "kids" 21,19 and 16 and the ONLY one who listens to metal or plays guitar, LOUD when I can, I must say this:

If one of my children decided to take up guitar, drums or any other loud instrument and played it loud while I was watching tv or trying to listen to music I would probably do the same thing.

My wife hates it when I play guitar and gets really pissed when I play it loud so I just plug in my headphones and "shred" (not really, I am kind of a noob). She cannot hear me and we are both happy. I play loud when she is gone and it is only me and the dog. The dog hates it but cannot argue.

Get some headphones and play. You may not like his opinion but unless he abuses you and does nothing to provide for you he does deserve your respect. Show him respect and he will probably respect your interest in playing even if he does not like the music.
gpme332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #16
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

You have to live with him and he makes the rules, so you need to respect that. His opinion of your music and his reactions to it might be ridiculous, but it's not like he's coming home drunk and beating you, so I think you can afford to suffer through this.

As far as amps go, personally I would try to get a used Vypyr 15 from GC or somewhere else and a good set of headphones(not earbuds). I think my Vypyr sounds pretty awesome through my Shure SRH440s. If you can find cheaper headphones that will do a good enough job then go for it, but I can't recommend any.

I'm sure there are better ways to do what I suggested, but considering a Vypyr 15 can be had for around $40 used, there may not be cheaper options.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #17
mattrusso

Get a smaller amp! Chances are, you have absolutely no use for amps that powerful. Even for decent sized club gigs, you don't really need over 30 watts, and it seems like you're just playing in your bedroom. Wouldn't it piss you off if you constantly heard him playing his music while you were tryina do your thing? Sorry dude, but your dad's in the right.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
You have to live with him and he makes the rules, so you need to respect that. His opinion of your music and his reactions to it might be ridiculous, but it's not like he's coming home drunk and beating you, so I think you can afford to suffer through this.

yeah- it's not great but it could be a heck of a lot worse, too.

i mean i still think he's a dick. maybe not with a capital d, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
KailM

Don't fight him, just give in. Tell him; "It's okay, I'll just sell both of these amps so I can afford some really good weed."
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
jeffo46

See if your amps have a headphone jack. If they do, then get some phones and tell yer old man to go **** himself !
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: