Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Amish (and breaking Amish)

So I'm laying here with a slipped disc in my lower back, on the couch, waiting to get some Thanksgiving food and my wife and I are watching Breaking Amish on TLC.

I don't know if any of you have seen this show or even know about it, but it's about a handful of Amish kids/adults that decide to leave the Amish community and starting wilin' out in New York.

Anyways, it's really interesting and touching in a few ways. This one 20 year old girl had dentures because the "dentist" in their Amish community just yanked out all of her old teeth. Some lady doctor in the city said she'd give her free new ones that fit properly.

So yeah, I couldn't imagine 1) going through what they're going through by coming to the city from their usual environment and 2) growing up in their usual environment.

If I ever went to "Amish country", I'd honestly probably get pretty mad at the shitty environment the kids are subjected to. And yeah you're welcome to leave when you're of age, but then your entire family completely shun you.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
ErikLensherr
Star-Splitter

You're also way back in your education. On that Amish show on NatGeo and they've got twenty somethings just now getting their GEDs.

edit: unless that's a gay thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I am fairly cliterate with my hands and mouth.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

^ Yeah according to this 32 year old dude on the show (I've only seen one or two episodes), the standard is an 8th grade education. Another guy only has a 5th grade education and can barely read.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Being Amish should be illegal. Yeah, I said it. Come at me. It's ****ing child-abuse.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Being Amish should be illegal. Yeah, I said it. Come at me. It's ****ing child-abuse.

I mean yeah, that's not a crazy idea
Old 11-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
I mean yeah, that's not a crazy idea

Obviously it wouldn't be a law that said 'You can't be Amish', but certainly you can make laws against depriving your children of education and medical treatment?

If someone in the city keeps their daughter locked up inside the house all day, refusing to take her to the doctor for an infection, and preventing her from learning how to read, we'd take that kid away and shame the parent as an abuser. However, if they live in Ohio, we just say 'hey man, they're just Amish "
Old 11-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
daytripper75
First Sword of Braavos

Amish live all around this area. I see them on a pretty regular basis. Most seem content with the life they live.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!
daytripper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Z0S07657
Algorjira

Dis reminds me of that My Name is Earl episode. You know, that one where Earl and Randy try to pick up those Amish girls.
Z0S07657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
soundgarden1986
sairento hiru

I forgot which Amish-centered show it was, but they had a beef jerky cook off. One of them got the idea to ruin the batch by putting a bunch of hairspray and shit in the marinade. Luckily, no one really got sick/died.
soundgarden1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
snipelfritz
UG's Beautiful Butterfly

Those kids that get to go off and try not being Amish then make up their own decision (which is pretty legit) tend to throw the craziest parties.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Trowzaa
phoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Those kids that get to go off and try not being Amish then make up their own decision (which is pretty legit) tend to throw the craziest parties.

RUMSPRINGA!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
Olly_The_Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Obviously it wouldn't be a law that said 'You can't be Amish', but certainly you can make laws against depriving your children of education and medical treatment?

If someone in the city keeps their daughter locked up inside the house all day, refusing to take her to the doctor for an infection, and preventing her from learning how to read, we'd take that kid away and shame the parent as an abuser. However, if they live in Ohio, we just say 'hey man, they're just Amish "

There actually was a court case, I beleive it was in Wisconsin but I'm not 100% on that, in which a school board brought an Amish family to court because they withdrew one of the children from school while he was in-or-about the eighth grade. The courts sided with the Amish siting that the Free Exercise Clause allowed them to do so as it was a custom of their beleif/way of life.
Olly_The_Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
beefcake122
no fun.

Aside from the religious bs being amish sounds cool to me.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member

I see Amish people all the time. They're pretty happy, but mostly seem bored. I wonder how similar being Amish is to living two centuries ago?

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Bushinarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

I think it might be pretty cool to be amish.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
jugglingfreak
UG Newbie

I like the Amish. They don't bother anyone, just want to be left alone.

Totally respect that. Lot of people that have tons of misconceptions about them.

Certainly better than any evangelical sect...
jugglingfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

I thought Breaking Amish was a shitty posthardcore band name lolol
Old 11-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #18
base851

Since the entire maternal half of my family is Amish, I think I'm fairly qualified to comment on the subject.

First off, people should know by now that "Reality" shows are about as close to real as the films put out by Pixar. So when I say that shows like "Breaking Amish" miss the mark in the accuracy department, I'm being diplomatic.

Without writing a treatise on how many ways the show is off base, let's just start with the basic premise: The fact that "Amish" people would even CONSIDER letting themselves be the subject of a TV just proves to me they were never Amish to begin with. They're fame-seeking poseurs, nothing more, nothing less.

People watch the show because they know nothing about the Amish, so their mind is a blank slate that Hollywood can write on however they please.

The Amish don't hold people hostage. No moreso than any other parent who holds their child "hostage" until they turn 18.

The Amish don't try to convert people. They mind their own business and I think it's fair to grant them the same courtesy in return.

The Amish are the most non-violent, honest, principled, hard-working people I've seen. So if people find those qualities distasteful, I really feel sorry for the world today.

The Amish are harmless. Leave them be. Now the Westboro Baptist scumbags? That's an entirely different matter.
base851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
eGraham
¬cool

^ Everything he said.

Whoever thinks Amish child-raising is akin to child-abuse obviously has never interacted with an Amish family/community.

Education may not be at such a high standard as what we consider, but they lead active, fulfilling lives for the most part.
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #20
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Yeah I'm sure some communities are cool. I'm sure others are horrible.

Rate This Thread: