Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
AdamGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Looking for a guitar for 2 very different genres

Greetings all,

I'm looking to pick up a new electric.

If I were to ask for a guitar that would be suitable for both bluesy music as well as slightly heavier stuff such as Trans Siberian Orchestra covers, what would you recommend?

I've been out of the electric guitar scene for a while. I find the massive range of prices from some companies very daunting. What's your minimum price for a "worthwhile" guitar? i.e. When Gibson make guitars from $400-$5000, where do you draw a line as a player?

Finally, some friends have mentioned brands to me that I wasn't aware of. Anyone have any experiences with Hofner, Reverend or Agile?

Many thanks!
AdamGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGM
Greetings all,

I'm looking to pick up a new electric.

If I were to ask for a guitar that would be suitable for both bluesy music as well as slightly heavier stuff such as Trans Siberian Orchestra covers, what would you recommend?

There are so many guitars out there than can do this it's impossible to say. It all depends on what you want out of the guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGM
I've been out of the electric guitar scene for a while. I find the massive range of prices from some companies very daunting. What's your minimum price for a "worthwhile" guitar? i.e. When Gibson make guitars from $400-$5000, where do you draw a line as a player?

I draw the line when there isn't a single detail on the guitar that i do not like, money no object. If i find a guitar that i absolutely love but it's $5000, i'll make an effort to get it if i want one badly enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGM
Finally, some friends have mentioned brands to me that I wasn't aware of. Anyone have any experiences with Hofner, Reverend or Agile?

Many thanks!

Hofner and Reverend are generally good guitars for many kinds of players. Agile are generally guitars that have decent features but the prices in the US are stupidly low.
__________________
Whoever reads this in Snape's voice gives 10 points to Slytherin.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
AdamGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
There are so many guitars out there than can do this it's impossible to say. It all depends on what you want out of the guitar.


Well, that is what I want out of it (I'm simultaneously asking if that is possible).
AdamGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGM
Well, that is what I want out of it (I'm simultaneously asking if that is possible).

You're not getting a useful response because you're not giving enough information. Have you read the stickies yet?
__________________
Whoever reads this in Snape's voice gives 10 points to Slytherin.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
krehzeekid
Me like guitars
 
krehzeekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
we need to know what you're actual budget is, what current gear you have (especially your amp), what guitars you've played (did you like them? why or why not?), artists you like, tones you like, willingness to go used, quality of local market and where you live.

currently, your question is just way too broad to give a good answer. there are quite literally hundreds, if not thousands, of guitars that fit your criteria of "versatile blues/rock guitar under $5000"
__________________
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
krehzeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
A fat strat. The humbucker works great for metal, and the single coils for blues. You could get a typical HH guitar and put a humbucker sized P90 in the neck, or an SSS guitar and put a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge. Pickup configurations don't matter so much in the end, so look at neck shapes and sizes, fret numbers, style, ect., and figure out what you need out of a guitar.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
AWACS
I want all of the things
 
AWACS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The frozen wasteland that is, central canada.
I would say that your guitar is a smaller part of the equation than your amp is. Turn down your guitars volume, roll back the tone, and with minimal gain on a "metal" amp, or a Fender or Vox at almost any volume, you could get a decent blues tone. Metal; crank your gain and volume to level desired, and rock out. Through a Fender or Vox, it'll be a bit harder. Might be able to sneak by with pedals but it wont sound as authentic, imo. (read purple below)
__________________
Caution: This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
how much do you want to spend?

what amp do you have, or,what amps are you considering?

do you gig or just play at home at lower volume levels?

what part of earth are you on? (markets vary)

answer those questions and maybe we can get you some good recommendations.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
AdamGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
A fat strat. The humbucker works great for metal, and the single coils for blues. You could get a typical HH guitar and put a humbucker sized P90 in the neck, or an SSS guitar and put a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge. Pickup configurations don't matter so much in the end, so look at neck shapes and sizes, fret numbers, style, ect., and figure out what you need out of a guitar.


This helps a lot, thanks!
AdamGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
AdamGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I'm checking out the Epiphones... in the $1000 range there are three that seem very similar but I'm having a hard time differentiating what separates them.


The standard plain top
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...-Plain-Top.aspx

The Ultra pro
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...-Ultra-PRO.aspx

Standard plustop pro
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...lustop-PRO.aspx


Any experiences with any of these?

Thanks!
AdamGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
so you can't answer questions?

$1000 on an epiphone? are you serious?

specs are the differences between those guitars.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #12
AdamGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
so you can't answer questions?

$1000 on an epiphone? are you serious?

specs are the differences between those guitars.



?
Yes I'm serious, is that bad?
When you've been out of the electric scene for a while the specs don't mean much.

Perhaps I'll go elsewhere, sorry.
AdamGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #13
SteveHOC
Used Register
 
SteveHOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I think the other thread you started on this was heading in the direction you were looking to go. People here are generally helpful, but there are certain guidelines to asking for advice. Check out the sticky on asking about what guitar to buy and answer those questions here so we can better guide you to a plausible answer.

Last edited by SteveHOC : 11-24-2012 at 12:44 AM.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGM
?
Yes I'm serious, is that bad?
When you've been out of the electric scene for a while the specs don't mean much.

Perhaps I'll go elsewhere, sorry.


you obviously don't want advice because you aren't answering our questions. a grand for an epiphone is a waste. i have seen older Gibson LP standards go for a grand, but they are twenty years old+. but some are very nice.

as gregs said

Quote:
how much do you want to spend?

what amp do you have, or,what amps are you considering?

do you gig or just play at home at lower volume levels?

what part of earth are you on? (markets vary)

answer those questions and maybe we can get you some good recommendations.


Quote:
we need to know what you're actual budget is, what current gear you have (especially your amp), what guitars you've played (did you like them? why or why not?), artists you like, tones you like, willingness to go used, quality of local market and where you live.

currently, your question is just way too broad to give a good answer. there are quite literally hundreds, if not thousands, of guitars that fit your criteria of "versatile blues/rock guitar under $5000"


post some answers up and we will help you. if not, spend a grand on an epi.
__________________

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #15
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
First, let me say that the people here are genuinely trying to help you- answer the questions listed in the sticky, and you'll get their best advice. At this point, everyone is just kind of shooting in the dark.

Second, shooting in the dark, look at:

1) Godin or G&L guitars- both produce high quality HSS "Strat"-like guitars.

2) Reverend makes a good guitar, and most if not all of their products use korina as a body wood. One in particular stands out to me for you- the Double Agent, which has a Humbucker in the bridge, and a P90 in the neck position.

3) A subsidiary of Godin, Richmond Guitars Canada, makes some nifty, well-made, semi-retro style guitars. Two spring to mind: the Belmont and the Empire. The double-cut Belmont and Belmont Laurentian (which is the version with the Bigsby trem) is equipped with a SD '59 HB in the bridge, and SD lipstick pickups in the middle and neck positions. The Empire is a singlecut design, with one option featuring a Humbucker in the bridge and a singlecoil in the neck.
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
The Epiphones you listed aren't $1000, they are more like $400-500. For $1000 you could buy a Gibson.

And what separates them? Maybe pickups. The Standard doesn't have coil splits. But I don't know, haven't tried them other than the Standard.

Different woods if you look at the features listed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 11-24-2012 at 08:24 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGM
Perhaps I'll go elsewhere, sorry.

if you don't know how to answer questions then yes, the door is thataway.

shoo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
AdamGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
The Epiphones you listed aren't $1000, they are more like $400-500. For $1000 you could buy a Gibson.

And what separates them? Maybe pickups. The Standard doesn't have coil splits. But I don't know, haven't tried them other than the Standard.

Different woods if you look at the features listed.



According to Epi's site the Ultra pro, Ultra 3, etc. are $999?



Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
if you don't know how to answer questions then yes, the door is thataway.

shoo.



I'm still not sure what you're referring to. If I missed a sticky or something I apologize. I do this all on an iPhone and it's a bit tricky. I think I have enough info to start anyways. Thanks for your time, see ya;.
AdamGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGM
According to Epi's site the Ultra pro, Ultra 3, etc. are $999?

Those are the MSRP not the actual retail price.

Where are you located in the world, then we can point you to some diecent stores you can look into in your area.

I can buy a new Gibson LP Studio for $700 at just about any US online store

And you really aren't giving enough info for people to give you recomendations that wouls suit you to test out, any guitar can play any type of music
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 11-24-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
JoeFlips
✯✯✯
 
JoeFlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: That way —➤
The sticky you MUST read: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1497696

Yeah $999 is the MSRP, most stores sell for half or a little more than half of that.
__________________
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.