Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #21
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

the vypyr 60 is your best bet.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarNewbee
well not really because im barely 14 so i dont have a job yet and where i live you cant get a job untill you are atleast 16 so right now i' relying on money that i've earned over the years and it would take a while to get 100 more dollars, so it be great if you could recommend some good amps for 200 dollars, iv'e made up my mind it doesn't have to be new it could be used.

Oh I understand then. 200 is a very strict budget, let's keep that in mind.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackstar-H...=item20cda7f693

This could be a good choice (Never actually played one). There aren't any used on GC right now, but they're only 250 used. If you checked back frequently, I'm sure you could snag one around 150.
Dan'o EQ: 9/10
Mooer Shimverb: 7/10
Digidelay: 8/10
Peavey Valveking 112 - Jensen MOD speaker: 8/10
tas38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #23
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
I owned one, it was crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarNewbee
agreed, i hate how it makes that crappy sound, to me it sounds like one of those old time wireless radios where you put in batteries and put the attena up, it just sounds really buffery and stuff.

In your opinions

TBH, I've never used one (so I'd never recommend one either), I just know a lot of the equipment that gets hated on here isn't nearly as bad as people say it is.

At the end of the day, anything like that is purely subjective. What one person thinks is crap another person may love. That's why the best advice in any "what shall I buy" thread is to get out there & try stuff.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #24
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
1 In your opinions

2 TBH, I've never used one (so I'd never recommend one either), I just know a lot of the equipment that gets hated on here isn't nearly as bad as people say it is.

3 At the end of the day, anything like that is purely subjective. What one person thinks is crap another person may love. That's why the best advice in any "what shall I buy" thread is to get out there & try stuff.

1 absolutely.
2 agreed, but this is one of those times where it's accurate.
3 agreed.

TBH for someone starting out the 15 watt is fine. i do think the 15 watt vypyr blows it away for the money though.

but for someone starting out, sure, it does the job. any version over the 15 watter is a waste of money. there are always better options out there for that money.

you haven't played one, i get that. people may love theirs, i get that too. but once you play a decent amp and then try the spider again, it becomes painfully obvious that the only purpose they serve is the complete beginner.

TS - i'd agree on the used vypyr tube 60 combo. they really are about unbeatable if you can go that route. otherwise i'd just hang in there with a vypyr 30 new purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue

Last edited by gregs1020 : 11-23-2012 at 04:33 PM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #25
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Id get a used flextone, for the fact it is a legit amp choice and will do everything and I do mean everything well and be powerfull enough to jam with some buddies. Go look up some videos.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
J2G
UG Member

YO guys about the VYPYR30... I was about to grab that soon and I was wondering about the Sanpera II, since it's highly rated and people say it's nice. Is it definitely worth my buy? Would I be able to use other effects/pedals with it AND can I use the Sanp II on other amps?
Could be a stupid question but I really do not know. Please help.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

For the money GC is blowing out the GDEC 3/30 right now for $100. Works with Fender Fuse software, plays backing tracks from SD card, has built in rhythm tracks on internal memory, and with the optional $50 footswitch controls a looper and preset selection. No other amp for $100 touches it.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #28
|Long|
String Theory

To add a different recommendation. Check out the Roland Cubes. They make models within your budget. But honestly, just go to your GC and play all the amps in your range. You will find the amp that you like. And take your time as well, as setting up the EQ's can be tough.

Fender Mustangs are another modeling line, some people like them, but you'll have to try it out to see if it can go heavy enough for you.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #29
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

no you can't use the sanpera with other amps. just the vypyr series.

it is a waste of money unless you get the tube 60 version as you only really need it for gigging, IMO.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #30
J2G
UG Member

Thanks for answering. One more question though... the Fender Frontman 212R. I see it's big and powerful but doesn't have as much effects as the VYPYR. Would it be worth it to buy that and then get pedals to get the effects I want? Or just get the VYPYR?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #31
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The Frontman is a terrible amp. Well, serviceable cleans, just - but no, a Vyper will kick its arse.
A used Vyper Tube 60 is the way I'd go 'twer I you - unless you get lucky and find a Peavey JSX/XXX/Ultra being flogged off cheap enough. It does happen.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #32
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

^ that.

I own a frontman. it is a finicky beast, only likes some pedals. and it also has a terrible drive channel. the reverb is nice though...bout the only redeeming quality.

wait...nevermind...got you confused with TS

lovin' the avatar cath

Last edited by ihartfood : 11-23-2012 at 11:25 PM.
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #33
J2G
UG Member

Lol thanks I'll definitely avoid that one then fellas, appreciate it.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #34
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

For home use only I'd say get a Yamaha THR5 or 10 or if you play mostly high gain anyway the THR10C. The 10's are probably a bit out of your price range though, so you might want to save up for that.

In terms of practice amps I think those Yamaha THRs slay everything else in their price range.
Didn't expect that much of a good tone out of such a little amp myself.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 AM   #35
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
no you can't use the sanpera with other amps. just the vypyr series.

it is a waste of money unless you get the tube 60 version as you only really need it for gigging, IMO.

The Sanpera in general is a waste of money, or just the Sanpera II? And why does the Tube 60 Vypyr benefit more from it than the others?

I got a used Sanpera I for $60 that I use with my 30, and imo it was worth every penny.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #36
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

If you found the Spider to be horrid, then the Vypyr isn't for you. While you may prefer one over the other, the difference is NOT night and day. Essentially, they're both modelers and budget modellers at that, just that the Line 6 gets monumentally more crap than the Peavey.

They can both get decent sounds and if metal's your thing, there's this one video that Ola just made a while back that shows that a decent tone is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3v0...feature=g-all-u

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
Because if I par myself enough maybe everyone else will stop.
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #37
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megano28
If you found the Spider to be horrid, then the Vypyr isn't for you. While you may prefer one over the other, the difference is NOT night and day. Essentially, they're both modelers and budget modellers at that, just that the Line 6 gets monumentally more crap than the Peavey.

They can both get decent sounds and if metal's your thing, there's this one video that Ola just made a while back that shows that a decent tone is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3v0...feature=g-all-u

That's like saying if you don't like Saturns, then cars aren't for you(bad analogy?). The Spider and Vypyr are both modelers, but a modeler isn't supposed to sound like a modeler, it's supposed to sound like other amps. Imo, the Vypyr does a far better job of that.

Besides, with his budget it's not like he has a ton of options. While any Vypyr(over 15) is probably going to feel like a step up, a Vypyr Tube 60 would be a better step up(if he can get one for $200).
Old 11-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #38
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

That's a terrible analogy. A better one would be that if you don't like a Corolla, chances are the Camry isn't going to get your panties wet either. A Vypyr doesn't do a 'far better' job of modelling. They both sound like shit when you compare them to real, more expensive modellers, the bias on these forums is amazing.

I, for one, would love to see a double blind test on those two amps and see if the blind faith in one brand was justified.

The fact of the matter is that he only has $200 to spend and has no idea about what he wants to sound like, considering the huge range he listed in the OP. The best option would be to keep the line 6 he has and upgrade it to the 30 watt if possible OR buy a 30 watt Vypyr. There's no need to have him spend more money on a shinier turd because it's tube. The money saved could go towards a decent guitar/amp in the future. A modeller in that price range is not going to get very more organic.

What he needs is to learn how to EQ the amp. My best guess is that, being new, he doesn't have a clue about setting his gain, treble, mids and bass. Before everyone plays the vicarious shopper role, it would suit the kid much more if he was pointed to a site which could help him EQing.

Now I could be wrong about the two modellers. It has been many years since I owned one myself, but I do take 10 minutes to try the new models on both sides each time I step into a GC. Being an owner of Mesa Boogie amps(Dual Recto/Maverick) for years now, I'd have no issue choosing either modelling amp if I was presented one as a gift. I know how to set up my sound, if you know how to do that, it would be stupid to rage over either amp

Quote:
Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #39
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Well obviously my opinion is right and yours is wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by megano28
That's a terrible analogy. A better one would be that if you don't like a Corolla, chances are the Camry isn't going to get your panties wet either.

That not even the same point I was trying to make. You can't say something is a better analogy when it's not even about the same thing.

nvm maybe it was. Idk I'm tired.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 11-24-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #40
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

I said both modellers are essentially the same, the difference between the two highly exaggerated mainly because of ignorance.

You said

Quote:
That's like saying if you don't like Saturns, then cars aren't for you(bad analogy?).

Not even close to what I said. You're suggesting that I meant that if he couldn't like the Spider, then no amp will satisfy. At least your analogy interprets it that way.

Like I said, there's a problem in the forum and guitar community with people's sheep thinking about amps/accessories. The Vypyr may be better than the Spider. The problem lies in that ignorant people talk it up to unbelievable heights and give it unrealistic hype. So guys such as TS call their Spiders shit and buy this 'god' amp expecting it to blow their pubes off from awesomeness. Once they realize that the sound only marginally improved, there's the oh so familiar disappointment that sets in. By now, the pride sets in and they live with their decision, knowing that the amp couldn't fill the task they expected it to.

The other time I've seen something similar is with EMGs vs Blackouts. EMGs are given shit and Blackouts are made to be the 'god' actives. It isn't until they're installed that one realizes that the difference isn't that great. Noticeable, but worth the potential extra $200 from swapping out the EMGs? That's up to the buyer

Like I said, TS would be better off learning how to get his settings right before talk of another amp is given.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: