Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #41
Hou-Tex
Gary

Kustom Dual 30RC if you can find one. The lead channel sucks but the clean channel is pretty good! I found one in a pawn shop for $50 and am happy with it hooked up to an external 1x12 cab. Coming from a DRRI, I found it a little lacking without the external cab, but if you look hard enough, you can nickle and dime yourself up a pretty good tone. It takes a little work shopping around though.

I have ~$200 in this rig.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #42
woad_yurt

25 watt Fender tube amp: $169.00!

Quote:
so what are my options if im willing to go used?

Here's a can't-go-wrong for you. 25 watts from 2 6L6GCs, clean and drive channels, master volume, 12" Eminence speaker, reverb, effects loop, headphone jack, etc, etc, etc. It does have a solid state preamp but it still sounds great; think early Music Man amps. If you tweak the gain channel a little, you can get a good sound at low volume. If you crank it up a bit, you get that nice tube feel and it's definitely gig-able. I have one and love it. It also kicks the butt of any $200 amp I've seen recommended here so far. If they'd have made it look like every other Fender, they probably would've sold a ton of them.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...726-i2704611.gc

Last edited by woad_yurt : 11-24-2012 at 07:11 AM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #43
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megano28
Like I said, there's a problem in the forum and guitar community with people's sheep thinking about amps/accessories. The Vypyr may be better than the Spider. The problem lies in that ignorant people talk it up to unbelievable heights and give it unrealistic hype. So guys such as TS call their Spiders shit and buy this 'god' amp expecting it to blow their pubes off from awesomeness. Once they realize that the sound only marginally improved, there's the oh so familiar disappointment that sets in. By now, the pride sets in and they live with their decision, knowing that the amp couldn't fill the task they expected it to.

The other time I've seen something similar is with EMGs vs Blackouts. EMGs are given shit and Blackouts are made to be the 'god' actives. It isn't until they're installed that one realizes that the difference isn't that great. Noticeable, but worth the potential extra $200 from swapping out the EMGs? That's up to the buyer

Like I said, TS would be better off learning how to get his settings right before talk of another amp is given.

I know man, I get it, you think the Vypyr doesn't sound that much better than a Spider. I could sit here and tell you that I think your wrong, and we can go back and forth for a while arguing about who's opinion of a particular tone is superior, but what would be pretty pointless since neither of us would be right.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #44
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

Like I said, I want a double blind test.

It's easy to call the Spider shit and the Vypyr amazing. If people actually prefer the Vypyr as heavily as all this feedback suggests after such an experiment, then I could easily accept that. I, however, suspect that it's a case of massive Groupthink, fueled by the blatant ignorance of the users.

I'm just saying, they sell like they do for a reason. Not every sale of a line 6 spider is sparked by the predatory instinct of the commission seeking salesman. If such exploitation resulted in such high sales figures, then these people are geniuses. But people would rather ponder over such conspiracies, instead of acknowledging that, sometimes, these amps sell because people like them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanglewoodguit
I'm against hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
Because if I par myself enough maybe everyone else will stop.
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #45
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I know man, I get it, you think the Vypyr doesn't sound that much better than a Spider. I could sit here and tell you that I think your wrong, and we can go back and forth for a while arguing about who's opinion of a particular tone is superior, but what would be pretty pointless since neither of us would be right.

The Vypyr, Spider, Mustang etc. all sound crap compared to the Yamaha THR.

Really.

/Thread.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #46
RStrat
Mustache Cash Stash

I'm not sure if you want to go for that used Peavey XXX on Guitar Center. If they're selling it for under $400, there must be something wrong with it (or it's just in terrible shape). Honestly, I think Ebay is more trustworthy than Guitar Center when it comes to used gear.

Vypyr Tube 60 is always a good idea.
RStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #47
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrat
I'm not sure if you want to go for that used Peavey XXX on Guitar Center. If they're selling it for under $400, there must be something wrong with it (or it's just in terrible shape). Honestly, I think Ebay is more trustworthy than Guitar Center when it comes to used gear.

Vypyr Tube 60 is always a good idea.

Guitarcenter has a 30-day guarantee. I've done it before and it was super easy hassle-free. Brought it to a store, played on their gear for 10 minutes, then got a check.
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #48
GuitarNewbee

Quote:
I said both modellers are essentially the same, the difference between the two highly exaggerated mainly because of ignorance.

You said

Not even close to what I said. You're suggesting that I meant that if he couldn't like the Spider, then no amp will satisfy. At least your analogy interprets it that way.

Like I said, there's a problem in the forum and guitar community with people's sheep thinking about amps/accessories. The Vypyr may be better than the Spider. The problem lies in that ignorant people talk it up to unbelievable heights and give it unrealistic hype. So guys such as TS call their Spiders shit and buy this 'god' amp expecting it to blow their pubes off from awesomeness. Once they realize that the sound only marginally improved, there's the oh so familiar disappointment that sets in. By now, the pride sets in and they live with their decision, knowing that the amp couldn't fill the task they expected it to.

The other time I've seen something similar is with EMGs vs Blackouts. EMGs are given shit and Blackouts are made to be the 'god' actives. It isn't until they're installed that one realizes that the difference isn't that great. Noticeable, but worth the potential extra $200 from swapping out the EMGs? That's up to the buyer

Like I said, TS would be better off learning how to get his settings right before talk of another amp is given.

i did learn to use EQ it's just i've compared my line 6 to other amps and realized that there is a big differnce in the quality of the tone...i have been able to get close inof tones that i want it's just that i dont like how digital it sounds, its hard to explain to someone if they have never played one.
GuitarNewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #49
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

I've played both Spiders and Vypyrs. That 'organic' tone you're after comes with tubes. Unfortunately, $200 isn't going to deliver this. To put this into perspective, my dual recto is going to cost you $900-1000 if you're lucky. Brand new, the price surges to ~1750. There's no problems with digital sounds here, but you have to be realistic.

If you persist though, go for that Vypyr tube that's being suggested. Or you could always try the Line 6 Flextone, one of my favourite modellers, but discontinued. The truth is that $200 is absolute bottom of the barrel, if you want a decent amp, you'd have to at least double that.

Quote:
I'm against hatred

Quote:
Old 11-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #50
GuitarNewbee

Quote:
I've played both Spiders and Vypyrs. That 'organic' tone you're after comes with tubes. Unfortunately, $200 isn't going to deliver this. To put this into perspective, my dual recto is going to cost you $900-1000 if you're lucky. Brand new, the price surges to ~1750. There's no problems with digital sounds here, but you have to be realistic.

If you persist though, go for that Vypyr tube that's being suggested. Or you could always try the Line 6 Flextone, one of my favourite modellers, but discontinued. The truth is that $200 is absolute bottom of the barrel, if you want a decent amp, you'd have to at least double that.

well im not sure if you saw one of my posts but i said that i am only 14 so i dont have a job and rely on money iv'e made over the past few years so theres no way i can get tube amps, and im not looking to gig with the amps, playing guitar is just a hobby for me i love music but i dont expect to become a famous rockstar so there really is no need for me to get a $1000 tube amp that im not actually gonna use to its full potential... i just want a better amp for my room and possible playing with some friends and that is why i decided to put 200 dollars as my budget and im not looking for another 15 watt im looking for atleast a 30 watt so that i dont have to keep the master volume so low to get a good tone out of it...so please stop telling me to get $1000 amps it really gets annoying.
GuitarNewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #51
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
I've played both Spiders and Vypyrs. That 'organic' tone you're after comes with tubes.

Are you saying that with regard to Spiders and Vypyrs, or all modelers?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #52
AeonOptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarNewbee
well im not sure if you saw one of my posts but i said that i am only 14 so i dont have a job and rely on money iv'e made over the past few years so theres no way i can get tube amps, and im not looking to gig with the amps, playing guitar is just a hobby for me i love music but i dont expect to become a famous rockstar so there really is no need for me to get a $1000 tube amp that im not actually gonna use to its full potential... i just want a better amp for my room and possible playing with some friends and that is why i decided to put 200 dollars as my budget and im not looking for another 15 watt im looking for atleast a 30 watt so that i dont have to keep the master volume so low to get a good tone out of it...so please stop telling me to get $1000 amps it really gets annoying.

They aren't telling you that you have to get one that expensive. The simple fact is that most decent amps are above two hundred dollars.
I don't have anything other than that to contribute, I have no experience with amps.
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #53
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarNewbee

Learn to comprehend. I never told you to buy a $1k amp. I'm telling you that what you expect is not realistic. If it was possible to get a great organic sounding amp that is solid state, that could play every band you mentioned AND have it for ~$200 then you just found the holy grail of amplifiers. I'm being sarcastic of course. Either lower your standards or increase your budget, you don't have enough to buy the amp you think you can acquire.

Once again,

LOWER YOUR STANDARDS OR GET MORE MONEY

You can't buy a Ferrari at the price of a Civic. And you can't expect to buy the Civic and race it like a Ferrari.
Quote:
Are you saying that with regard to Spiders and Vypyrs, or all modelers?

No clue what you mean by this

Quote:
I'm against hatred

Quote:
Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #54
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
No clue what you mean by this

Do you believe that the "warmth" you speak of isn't present in modelers such as the Axe FX II and Kemper?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #55
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

lol dude. just get the vypyr, you won't be sorry and it'll serve you well.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #56
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

My advice is "don't be in a hurry." Have some patience and watch the used market saving your pennies while you wait. Something decent will pop up eventually. Patience, that's the key. It took me years to find my Abbey and I just put up with what I had until I did. Patience really is a virtue.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #57
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

Quote:
Do you believe that the "warmth" you speak of isn't present in modelers such as the Axe FX II and Kemper?

We were talking about the Vypyr and Spider. If you're going to try and grab me on semantics, then go ahead. After all, with his $200 budget, a $2800 Axe FX is surely in the picture

Quote:
I'm against hatred

Quote:
Old 11-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #58
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
We were talking about the Vypyr and Spider. If you're going to try and grab me on semantics, then go ahead. After all, with his $200 budget, a $2800 Axe FX is surely in the picture

I get your point and all but you are really beating a dead horse. There will always be hype and expectations and people talking out their ass.

Vypyr is better but still a cheap modeling amp. It's a lateral upgrade. Not a straight lateral movement.

The 60 adds a tube power amp section. No shit clipping. A used one you be a great upgrade for the TS.

Last edited by R45VT : 11-25-2012 at 12:05 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #59
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:

Uh, not just wondering what your opinion on higher end modelers was.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #60
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
I get your point and all but you are really beating a dead horse. There will always be hype and expectations and people talking out their ass.

Vypyr is better but still a cheap modeling amp. It's a lateral upgrade. Not a straight lateral movement.

The 60 adds a tube power amp section. No shit clipping. A used one you be a great upgrade for the TS.

I'm not even on that anymore, you're arguing over something that's gone

Quote:
Uh, not just wondering what your opinion on higher end modelers was.

It sounded more like you heard me make a generalization and were about to try and attack my entire point based on that mistake.

Quote:
I'm against hatred

Quote:

Rate This Thread: