User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
c3powil
on a coconut estate

Recording computer delima

I have a laptop with these specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5 i5-430M / 2.26 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Memory: 4.0 GB
Hard Drive: 500.0 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400.0 rpm
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition
Display Type: 15.6 in TFT active matrix
Max Resolution: 1366 x 768 ( HD )
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce 310M
Optical Drive: DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM / BD-ROM

Currently, It is my only computer so I use it for everything. I've been debating on whether I need to sell it, in which case I would probably get 300 dollars, or keep it, wipe the HD, and use it only for music recording/production.

I feel like the specs on the computer are worthy enough for what I want to do with it. Just some amateur recording guitars, drums, vocals, bass, and maybe some wanking around with some electronic production like dubstep and electro-house.

If I sold the pc, I would have 600 dollars saved. With that money I could buy a used macbook from craigslist, but best case scenario it would be pre-2009 and only a core-duo processor. OR I could buy a new mac mini, i5 processor and use a spare HD tv monitor that one of my roommates has. In either of these cases I would have to use this as both my recording and school computer.

I feel like the only reason I would want to sell the pc is because I read somewhere (here) that macs have an advantage in recording because they work easier with midi usb interfaces and the like.

So tell me, what would you do in my situation? Bear in mind, I make little in the way of savings each month. Most of my cash from work goes towards bills and the other bit goes towards gas and groceries.

Thanks for any and all responses.

EDIT: I forgot to say that If I keep the pc, I would probably download reaper, headcase, and a bunch of other cheap recording software to use, whereas with a mac I would have garage band.

Last edited by c3powil : 11-23-2012 at 09:50 PM.
c3powil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

So, you have a laptop that you figure is worth $300, and you could get about another $300 to sweeten the pot if necessary?

Here's what I would do.

Sell the laptop for $300 and buy a similarly spec'ed desktop, only with a 7200rpm hard drive. It will probably see you breaking exactly even.

Use the other $300 to purchase recording-related stuff - software, or a used pair of monitors... something like that.

For audio recording, drive speed is a big deal. It determines how many tracks of audio you will be able to record and/or play at the same time.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.

Last edited by axemanchris : 11-23-2012 at 10:39 PM.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
c3powil
on a coconut estate

Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard about drive speed importance.

Although I don't think I'll ever need or want to record/play more than 10 tracks on any given project.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Why on earth would you downgrade to a crappy old macbook?
PCs running OSX don't have any advantage whatsoever - in fact, there's much better support for Windows than OSX/Linux on consumer-level hardware. You're paying through the nose just for the name and the operating system, and the chance to use Logic (which isn't anything special anyway).

Those specs are great, ideally replace the HDD with a good 7200rpm one (the 2.5" WD Black and Seagate Momentus drives are decent) and you'll be ready to rock.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Your fine Specs wise, minus the 7200rpm HD. The other thing I would do is max out the ram and tweak your OS settings so that all the ******ed apps that come with laptops are disabled.

Rate This Thread: