Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
timmymaines

dragonfire pick-ups??

normally i would go to ebay or get gfs pick-ups if i wanted something that sounded good with out spending alot of money... but today i come across dragonfire pickups..anyone familier with this brand?? how do they sound?? you can check em out at the link below... i play alot of heavy stuff metal and rock sutch and yet i still need something that would give me a good blues sound

.http://www.guitarpartsonline.com/pr...roducts_id=1265.
timmymaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

They sound like complete and total ass. I can verify that after going through two pairs of them- one pair screamers and one pair vintage. GFS sounds much better.

Also, don't get bad Invaders copies if you want blues. They barely sound good for metal as it is, blues with them won't sound too good.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
timmymaines

thanks i wasnt plaing on gettin the invader copy..just hapen to be the page i had open at the time...thanks agian..
Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmymaines
thanks i wasnt plaing on gettin the invader copy..just hapen to be the page i had open at the time...thanks agian..

No problem, dude. I've tried a ton of the cheaper alternative pickups. The general order is GFS>Guitarheads>Dragonfire.

I actually prefer GFS P90s over most major brands, and the Guitarheads humbuckers aren't bad at all compared to DiMarzio/Seymour Duncan ones.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
No problem, dude. I've tried a ton of the cheaper alternative pickups. The general order is GFS>Guitarheads>Dragonfire.

I actually prefer GFS P90s over most major brands, and the Guitarheads humbuckers aren't bad at all compared to DiMarzio/Seymour Duncan ones.

I agree, but I wouldn't even get Guitarheads. I ordered a hex single coil from them once, and it literally fell apart in my hands while I was installing it. I emailed them and the didn't offer any compensation, they just told me "we only sell quality guitar parts". The pole pieces were hex screws, but they weren't even screwed into anything. It looked like they put some sort of glue on them and pushed them in the holes. The glue didn't even hold, they just fell out.

The Hex 7s I got were good, and they sound decent, which is why I bought another pickup from them, but I won't give them anymore business.

Also, i had the Dragonfire screamers, and I was completely underwhelmed. They were nowhere near the quality as GFS pickups, or the Hex 7 guitarheads I had. They were basically as good as any other cheap, chinese-made stock pickup, except a bit hotter.

Definitely go with GFS above all, or look for a Duncan or Dimarzio used on eBay.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I agree, but I wouldn't even get Guitarheads. I ordered a hex single coil from them once, and it literally fell apart in my hands while I was installing it. I emailed them and the didn't offer any compensation, they just told me "we only sell quality guitar parts". The pole pieces were hex screws, but they weren't even screwed into anything. It looked like they put some sort of glue on them and pushed them in the holes. The glue didn't even hold, they just fell out.

The Hex 7s I got were good, and they sound decent, which is why I bought another pickup from them, but I won't give them anymore business.

Also, i had the Dragonfire screamers, and I was completely underwhelmed. They were nowhere near the quality as GFS pickups, or the Hex 7 guitarheads I had. They were basically as good as any other cheap, chinese-made stock pickup, except a bit hotter.

Definitely go with GFS above all, or look for a Duncan or Dimarzio used on eBay.

I got the Alnico Supremes and they were pretty good quality, but way too bright for my tastes. One of my friends got some of the Gold Rushes and they weren't bad at all.

But then you can look at the engraved neckplates and see how bad some of it may be...

Jimi

Keith Richards

Lita Ford

Those are what make me afraid to ever order from them again. Just look how bad they are.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

terrible. Lita Ford's face is hilarious though.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
Viban
UG's resident bum

I actually like the jimi hendrix one.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
I actually like the jimi hendrix one.

He looks like a vampire
Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
He looks like a vampire

Now that you mention it, it would have been better with his mouth closed, but they gave him some half-assed buck teeth.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
timmymaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
Now that you mention it, it would have been better with his mouth closed, but they gave him some half-assed buck teeth.

haha no doubt.... i didnt notice the teeth at first and didnt thin it was too horrible until i seen the sig. it bothers me..its like the didnt even try..
Old 11-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
DuctTapeNinja
Custom Gear FTW!

I put a set of Dragonfires from eBay in my first build, figuring on upgrading down the line. But I was quite impressed with them. They sound great. Maybe I just got a good set, since everyone else seems to hate them apparently.

Edit: I did wax pot mine and put covers on them tho. That could explain it (though I wouldn't think so)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia

Last edited by DuctTapeNinja : 11-24-2012 at 11:35 PM.
DuctTapeNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

If you don't want to spend a fortune, just buy some used EMGs from eBay for the same price as your new budget/economy pickups.
-MintSauce- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
jameswilddev

I had some Dragonfires, but when the emperor popped his cloggs they abruptly went out mid-gig. Not impressed.
jameswilddev is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: