Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
BoyLilikoi

New to Recording, Recording Package

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...cording-package

Ok so I'm pretty much a complete noob to recording. I know some of the basics, and have used software to make videos and random things, but when it comes to recording music I've only used the mic on my computer and it's garbage. Since I've become more serious about music, I have been kicking around buying equipment to make a studio in my mancave. I don't need top of the line, nor can I afford it. This is for fun mainly, though I still do want something that'll sound good.

Does anyone have any experience with the equipment in this package? I play mainly acoustic (though I'll likely be getting an electric next year) and I hear condensor mics are great for acoustics. I'm a bit concerned about lag with the interface. But it says USB 2 I think so would that eliminate that worry? Right now with black friday sales I can get it for $300. Because I have limited knowledge, I don't know if this gear is decent, or if it'd be better to buy things one by one (though it certainly seems like it'd be more expensive). Also would I need a second microphone to record guitar as well as vocals? If I just need the one, could I do it simultaneously, or would I need to record the guitar track, then the vocals seperate?

Like I said, not looking for top of the line. Just something to have fun on, get my feet wet with recording, and something that won't sound like tin and have tons of clipping. Thanks!
BoyLilikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

I hate the Audioboxes, the preamps are meh on them and I've heard of lots of problems with them. Also, the mic it comes with is crap & the "monitors" are just bookshelf speakers.

Check the interface sticky
Old 11-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

If you're on a strict budget and can't afford better gear, a package may be the way to go. Unfortunately, I have to agree with Lockwolf on this one - packages are usually comprised of cheap components, which makes the end result cheap.

So, if you're stuck on a budget and just looking for something to mess around with and not looking for pro results, go ahead and buy the package, but realize that if you decided to get serious later, you'll probably want to start saving for better gear.

To answer your question... You can probably get by with 1 mic, but you'd have to record a second track. Don't forget, you can probably go direct into the interface with the guitar - provided it has a pickup system, then use the mic for your vocals. If you decide to buy an electric later on, you'll probably want to use a DI between the guitar and interface.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: