Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
SilverDolphin
The Ghost Passenger

Can I sing and do I have potential? (female singer)

Hi there
I've always liked to sing but people tell me my voice is unpleasant. I'm 17 but I think I sound like a child. I need honest opinions. Does my voice have potential? I want to practice singing more but if there's no potential, what's the use? My range is from A on the G string to C on the high E string. It took me a lot of courage to upload this and I've been postponing this for a long time. I'm still shaking!

http://soundcloud.com/lost-in-energy/singing/s-M99qa

Any tips on how to improve would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

everyone has potential. it's how you go about unlocking it that's important. there's no point in thinking like "if i don't have potential, i don't want to practice". what you (and many others) think of "potential" is an artificial construct - some people have natural tendencies that suit them better to learn to do certain things more quickly, but if you're going to make the judgment based on your concept of "potential", then it's going to become increasingly difficult for you.

you don't really have a good ear. it's obvious because you have difficulty staying in key. that's probably the root of your problems. as a singer, you absolutely CANNOT get by with a bad ear. on a guitar, you can fake it by utilizing your fingers. to be a vocalist, you need to be able to use your ear.

your tone is also very weak - you can improve this by taking lessons.

start developing yourself more as a musician and find a vocal instructor, and you'll get results.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
SilverDolphin
The Ghost Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
everyone has potential. it's how you go about unlocking it that's important. there's no point in thinking like "if i don't have potential, i don't want to practice". what you (and many others) think of "potential" is an artificial construct - some people have natural tendencies that suit them better to learn to do certain things more quickly, but if you're going to make the judgment based on your concept of "potential", then it's going to become increasingly difficult for you.

you don't really have a good ear. it's obvious because you have difficulty staying in key. that's probably the root of your problems. as a singer, you absolutely CANNOT get by with a bad ear. on a guitar, you can fake it by utilizing your fingers. to be a vocalist, you need to be able to use your ear.

your tone is also very weak - you can improve this by taking lessons.

start developing yourself more as a musician and find a vocal instructor, and you'll get results.

Thank you! I think I have an okay ear as a musician; it's my voice that I have terrible control of. I work on my aural skills and transcribe songs by ear. There's no substitution for an instructor, but the closest one is two cities away from me :/ so I'm stuck on my own.
My main focus in music is playing instruments, but singing along is contagious and I want to at least sound decent.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
kertets
Banned

You have a nice soft voice, you just need to train it up so you can stay in key. Also confidence is a huge thing. If you find yourself trying to sing quietly so the people in the next room won`t hear you or doubt yourself your voice will wobble.
Keep it up.
kertets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
SilverDolphin
The Ghost Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kertets
You have a nice soft voice, you just need to train it up so you can stay in key. Also confidence is a huge thing. If you find yourself trying to sing quietly so the people in the next room won`t hear you or doubt yourself your voice will wobble.
Keep it up.

Thank you I only found the courage to record because I was home alone. I try to sing quietly to not disturb my neighbors. They're probably annoyed from my guitar-playing early in the morning or late at night no need to piss them off some more.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Guitarra_acores

I can't comment from a technical point of view, but it's easy to tell you have problems with pitch. If you can hear it it's a matter of practising your voice to be able to hit them, if you can't you have to work on your ear.

Don't let other people opinions discourage you, everyone is bad when starting out. You have to develop your voice like any other instrument.

The shyness and insecurity are natural for an unexperienced singer IMO. The confidence will pobably come when your skills improve and you start to enjoy the sound of your voice.
Guitarra_acores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Andalus
Bànned

As everyone else has mentioned, pitch issues are present. Be aware that singing the right notes is completely different to learning songs by ear. Learning songs by ear is mainly trial and error. Singing in pitch requires you to know in your head what the notes sound like.

Unless you have a seriously good grasp of pitch it's best to use a reference. Play a note on the guitar or piano and try to match it with your voice. Figure out a melody then sing it very slowly along with the guitar.

Getting a teacher is obviously going to be the best solution but like a lot of aspiring vocalists I never had the luxury. Constant practice along with the encouragement and honest opinions of my family and friends helped me learn how to sing.

What's obvious with you is that you lack the confidence every good singer has. Sing louder and trust your voice. Everybody has potential.

You won't start out singing wonderfully but with a few months of singing every day you should notice a drastic improvement.
Andalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDolphin
Thank you! I think I have an okay ear as a musician; it's my voice that I have terrible control of. I work on my aural skills and transcribe songs by ear.

The functional ear trainer from miles.be. Also singing scales. Hit the tonic, sing the scale, check your pitches at various places on the scale. Until you straighten this out, very little else matters, but it's easy to work on and you can do a little every day.

Quote:
There's no substitution for an instructor, but the closest one is two cities away from me :/ so I'm stuck on my own.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a singing instructor within two towns. Where are you?

Your voice sounds really untrained. Your vowels are a little weak and vague - one trick my teacher has me do is to sing just the vowel sounds of a song - imagine there are no consonants. Really make sure you're getting the right vowel sound. Really locking in on your vowel sounds will help, but this takes work.

You also sound breathy and weak, which comes from poor phsyical technique - the relationship of your mouth and throat and rib cage and diaphram. I don't really feel like I can explain this over the internet, but the idea is that you want to be able to separate the expansion of your rib cage (which happens normally when you take a deep breath) from the mechanics of breathing, so you can hold your rib cage expanded while you sing.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
Duce180

I agree with the other posters, you just dont have proper technique. If you cant find a vocal coach I highly reccommend the program Singing Success by Brett Manning, its what I use and its whats taught me proper technique, I highly reccommend it.
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
SilverDolphin
The Ghost Passenger

Thank you for all the tips! I really appreciate all the time you guys took to write them.
I live in Saudi Arabia so music/voice teachers are rare :/ I just sung this with no regard for technique.
I sat down slightly hunched-back and recorded.
I think I'll check out Singing Success. I've read a lot about it online.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
Jamler3

Need pitch and interval training, working in front of a piano for a few hours a day.
If you're ear doesn't improve where you can hear pitch issues and you begin to correct, then perhaps vocals are not your strong point. Do you play an instrument?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Duce180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamler3
Need pitch and interval training, working in front of a piano for a few hours a day.
If you're ear doesn't improve where you can hear pitch issues and you begin to correct, then perhaps vocals are not your strong point. Do you play an instrument?

Its extremely rare that someone can be tone deaf. She just needs proper training, doing exercises along to piano scales will fix this, which is what encompasses Singing Success, which is why I reccommended it. Ive heard horribly pitchy singers become spot on singers after they learned proper technique. The voice of an untrained singer to a trained singer is night and day.
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #13
Paquijón

You actually have a really pleasant tone I would firmly suggest that you get in with a vocal teacher that has experience so that you can make the most of such a nice instrument. The pitch thing that everyone keeps going on about can be fixed by lessons and practicing scales/arpeggios and other exercises at the piano. Another thing that can affect pitch is breath control, that's to say that you may think that you are singing the correct pitch but if the proper amount of support (breath) is not given for whatever the pitch you're singing is, there will be a tendency to go flat or sharp. Get some lessons and keep it up!
Paquijón is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

Did you have a backing track with you?
I think that your voice will sound better when you open up and aren't so nervous. Also, you're never going to sound good if you're trying really hard to make sure no one hears you. I know that my voice got WAY better the second I stopped being nervous and quiet. I don't mean that you should yell, but you have to use your diaphragm and singing will always have some volume.

You absolutely have potential. The best way to learn is with someone who can tell you what you're doing right and wrong. It doesn't have to be an actually music teacher, just anyone who sings and knows how to do so properly.

Also you won't know your actual range until you start singing with your diaphragm; your voice will really open up range-wise.

Last edited by RealUnrealRob : 12-05-2012 at 07:08 PM.
RealUnrealRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: