Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
NelsonS707

7 string tunings?

So I'm getting a 7 string soon, but I've always wondered people with 7 strings tuned down to certain tunings. For example, Drop B or Drop C. Would you tune the 7th string up to B or C? or would you tune everything else down and just disregard the 7th string?
NelsonS707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
VVolverin3
Caparison Enthusiast

Location: Australia FTW Club, PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join
You could do Drop Bb by tuning the top 6 strings up a half step and then the 7th string down a half step but I'd be wary about tuning the high E up anymore than a half step or so unless you get a really low guage string (like an 8 or a 7).

I think people also sometimes use the 7th string to get an extra octave happening for a drop tuning. For example going to drop C on the top 6 strings and then tuning the 7th down to a G so you have the octave down from the 5th string.

Personally I just tune to standard.
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
VVolverin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
I don't have a 7 string atm, but i like to tune em either standart, drop A or a half step down (only for covers).

I also like to tune the G string down a half step (B, E, A, D, F#, b, e) so if you ignore the high E string it's like you have a guitar in B standart, so you can do low open chords, and i've wrote some interesting lead stuff in that tuning.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Toasted_Waffelz

Tosin from Animals as Leaders drops the low E to a D and leaves the rest standard, it's pretty cool.
Toasted_Waffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Elderer

Cabbage
Elderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

No one would use drop C on a seven string, messes up the point of extended range instruments..

A# standard or drop G are interesting choices. Any lower and its 8 String territory. Any higher and you might as well stick with a 6 string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted_Waffelz
Tosin from Animals as Leaders drops the low E to a D and leaves the rest standard, it's pretty cool.

No he doesn't. He plays an 8 string, drops the low F# to an E, leaves the rest standard, making it drop E.

For a 7 string you have a few options.
B standard, A# Standard, A standard, Drop A#, Drop A, Drop G# (which I use), Drop G and any other weird things you fancy,.

Colossus
frankibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #8
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankibo
No he doesn't. He plays an 8 string, drops the low F# to an E, leaves the rest standard, making it drop E.

He also plays 7 stings, and he does tune like that.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Carl6661
UG Freak

I personally use Ab, F, Bb, Eb, F, Bb, Eb for most 7 string stuff, either that or tuned the 7th down to Bb, and the 6 'normal' strngs up a semitone like someone mentioned in an earlier post, but I don't use that anything like as I much as I use the other. I don't play masses of 7 string (By 7 string, I do mean 8 string and just ignoring the low string), but when I do, it's generally either or those.

Quote:

He used the 'E down to a D' thing on a 7 string when recording CAFO, if I remember correctly. I don't know if that's how he plays it live, or if he has any other songs like that though.

I don't like Avenged Sevenfold anymore. I was 14 when I joined & the 6661 in the username seemed a great idea at the time. Sigh.
Carl6661 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Jacques-Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgur96
He also plays 7 stings, and he does tune like that.

Yes and no : that tuning is only used on CAFO, all his other seven songs are in standard (On Impulse, Song of Solomon, Modern Meat etc.)
Jacques-Henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques-Henri
Yes and no : that tuning is only used on CAFO, all his other seven songs are in standard (On Impulse, Song of Solomon, Modern Meat etc.)

I know, forgot to mention that :P
Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
Minimallamb

BDADGBE is pretty cool. I used it half a step down. Its like drop D, but with a low B so you can get some interesting riffs. I think Periphery use it on Racecar
Minimallamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #13
Anchr
Took an arrow in the knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl6661
He used the 'E down to a D' thing on a 7 string when recording CAFO, if I remember correctly. I don't know if that's how he plays it live, or if he has any other songs like that though.

As far as I know CAFO is the only song in that particular tuning, and the one time I've seen Animals as Leaders live Tosin and Javier played that song on the 8 strings they used the entire set...
Anchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
thebestjoe

I use a few different tunings on my 7's. My Ibby stays in half step down. My Douglas I don't remember what it's in because it's being lent to a friend. My Schecter has gone through some weird tunings. I used it for Dropped C / D standard with a high G string. Now it sits in Dropped D / E standard with 2 high E strings, where one alternates between E and Eb.
Schecter Omen-7 with X2N and D-Thing
Douglas Scope 727
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchr
As far as I know CAFO is the only song in that particular tuning, and the one time I've seen Animals as Leaders live Tosin and Javier played that song on the 8 strings they used the entire set...

Yeah that's what I was going by. While he may have used a 7 string to write and record something once upon a time everything they do now is with 8 strings.

Colossus
Old 11-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #16
Toasted_Waffelz

Quote:
Yeah that's what I was going by. While he may have used a 7 string to write and record something once upon a time everything they do now is with 8 strings.

Yeah they do play with 8 strings live but since that's not what the thread's about I didn't bother. I watched a masterclass video where he was using a 7 string with that tuning and talking about it, and Cafo is one of their most popular songs so anyone who isn't a major fan would probably start with that.
Toasted_Waffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted_Waffelz
Yeah they do play with 8 strings live but since that's not what the thread's about I didn't bother. I watched a masterclass video where he was using a 7 string with that tuning and talking about it, and Cafo is one of their most popular songs so anyone who isn't a major fan would probably start with that.

Fair enough, I was unaware if that.

Colossus
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
kramer242

Since this thread is kind of on topic and I'm having no luck in the gear section, does anyone know what gauge strings would best work for drop f# and g on a 7. Guitar shops don't seem to have much selection for lower gauge 7 string sets.
kramer242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: