Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
TheJManSays

Epic prog with a touch of ambience and thrash, w/ vox. C4C

Hey y'all. Here's one of the songs from my band Actium's new album. The album will be mixed by Navene Koperweis, so this is just a pretty rough mix by yours truly, especially in regards to the vocals. This one starts off at a pretty frantic pace but settles into a nice ambient interlude with some slapback delay.

The Greatest Stress (rough mix)

This song was actually written almost 4 years ago so it's a big relief to finally get it recorded. Let me know any thoughts! Like I said, this is not at all representative of the mix of the final product, but the instrumental ideas and most of the vocal ideas are there.
Drums were programmed a million years ago so if any of it sounds seriously stupid let me know. I'd greatly appreciate any constructive tips!

Please like our FB page as well if you feel so inclined. When the album is done, it'll be on BandCamp to raise money for Hurricane Sandy relief.

http://www.facebook.com/actiumband

I'd be happy to C4C anything!
Thanks everyone!!

Our first EP benefitting wildfire relief in Colorado is now free on Bandcamp! Dig it.
TheJManSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Invisus
UG's Roope

I think the vocals need to come down in the mix a bit, they are drowning out the other instruments a bit. Cool stuff though it was pretty enjoyable.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...33#post30634433
Invisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
TheJManSays

Thanks man. The vox definitely need further mixing (not to mention EQ and a bit of compression); like I said this is basically just a throwaway mix that I worked on as the song was getting tracked since Navene will be mixing it. I think I'll go in a bring down the vocals a bit and post up a new mix just because it is a bit jarring right now.

I'm finishing up listening to your song right now and it's sick as hell. I'll post in that thread in a sec.

Thanks for taking the time to listen man!

Our first EP benefitting wildfire relief in Colorado is now free on Bandcamp! Dig it.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
TheJManSays

I went ahead and made some tweaks on the mix, tried to balance out the vocals a bit and even things out overall. Still no compression anywhere. It replaced the original mix on Soundcloud so just check that if y'all are interested! Thanks!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
crushingmetal

Mixed by Navene Koperweis, holy shit! Can't wait to the final product then. I really like the clean reverby guitar around 2:10, and the background sounds are a great compliment. I can see the similarities between this and The Contortionist and Intronaut, but you have some unique ideas going on too. I like the contrast between the heavy and atmospheric parts, but one thing I have to say is I'm missing some straight up headbanging riffs. You have plenty of atmosphere and rhythmic ideas but I think a bit more straight up metal would make this song better. Like The Human Abstract, how they slam some sick riffs in between all the prog ideas. Nevertheless I like what you're doing here and with a better mix this will be a seriously awesome tune!

C4C: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...24#post30657124

Rate This Thread: