Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #21
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

I love the telecaster sound but I hate the shape. I would totally love it if only I did.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.

Last edited by TheNameOfNoone : 11-25-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Typo
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #22
SwoobGuitar

BC Rich Mockingbirds. I really love the settings, the finish, the floyd rose, but why did they have to put THAT neck on it?

I love the Firebird neck, btw. Might build a Mockingbird-body-Firebird-neck-guitar one day. Soon.
SwoobGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #23
ghobby

Me too for the Les Pauls, I really don't like the painted necks, even tried to sand down the neck a bit on one to make it smoother....no go. Love both the look and the sound, but hate to play them.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Akula KO
Folk Metal is Alive!!!

LES PAUL

I like the idea of them. I really like how ESP does their LP guitars but as for actual Gibson LP guitars they are too heavy, too expensive, I hate the colouring and I am not a fan of the pickups used in them.

E. Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer
Schecter Diamond Series Damien 7
Cl. Guitar: Höfner HF-12
Amp: Roland Cube 40XL
Akula KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #25
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
Firebirds. Love the look. Love the sound. But I can not for the life of my learn to like the necks on them.

Damn sexy guitars though

Same with me. Been ogling them for years, but I played one at a shop the other day and hated it. The neck was too thick for me and the gloss finish on it really restricted me.

Also SGs. I think they're very cool guitars (despite the Angus Young stereotype) but I've not found one with a neck I like.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #26
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Strats - I love them, when other people play them. But i just can't work with them. The sound is too thin and twangy for me, it just doesn't suit my playing style. Yet strangely, i'm ok with teles, mustangs, jazzmasters etc.
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #27
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

I love the tone of Les Pauls but I hate the lack of fret access, and they're too heavy.
I love the playability of RGs and having a Floyd but they're not beefy enough.
I prefer teles to strats but they have almost never have a vibrato bar.
I love the Jackson RR24 but it has no neck pickup.

I could go on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrgen
Flying V's and SG's... why the hell do the necks need to dive? I love listening to people playing them and I have a Epi G-400 but it's not something I'd play standing up because of the lack of balance. Also, it freaking goes off tune when you sit/stand up or place the guitar on a table or anything.

Funny, my V has never had this problem. Perhaps because it's particularly light so the weight just evens out in a certain way.

Last edited by ChucklesMginty : 11-25-2012 at 11:25 AM.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #28
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Only a real man can play and love the Explorer.

I love mine and it loves me.

Personally it's got to be Ibanez, I love them but can't play their necks anymore.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #29
Jyrgen
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
Funny, my V has never had this problem. Perhaps because it's particularly light so the weight just evens out in a certain way.

Yeah I've heard some of them don't and some of them do neckdive. So it's a matter of finding one that does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Vote for Jyrgles, no more babies!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #30
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
Telecasters ... but the headstock always kills it for me. I ****ing hate it and I don't know why.

THIS THIS THIS.

The Fender Tele headstock is just so lame.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #31
AeonOptic

SSH strats. It just doesn't....feel right.
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #32
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Ibanez. I want to love them because they do 7 strings that are decent in quality for their price but i wish they did thicker necks. I wish the pickups in the RGA7 didn't suck so hard either.

I wish D necks were more common on guitars in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrgen
Yeah I've heard some of them don't and some of them do neckdive. So it's a matter of finding one that does not.

My Gibson V is super light and balances perfectly. I've never heard of a Flying V that wasn't like that unless it was a cheap copy.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 11-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #33
griffin888

The Ibanez Satch model. Loved the way it played, looked, and sounded, but the body was kind of small so I couldn't play it sitting down comfortably.
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.

Last edited by griffin888 : 11-25-2012 at 01:24 PM.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #34
SteveHOC
Used Register

I had a Gretsch 5120 that I wanted to love. I really tried, but I hated the bridge and felt like I was going to put my hip through the back any time I took to jumping around with it a bit while playing. I really liked the looks and the Bigsby, loved the neck, hated the upper fret access, and hated having to set the intonation any time I rested my hand on the bridge.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #35
KrymsinViking

I feel the same way about explorers. I love the look of them but every one of them iv sat down with has a large neck and the craftsmanship on the neck always looks pretty shoddy, even on the Gibsons. Pretty dissapointing.

Fender Strats, I want to like them, the brown sunbursts with maple necks are beautiful and when I sit down with them I love them, except for that damn neck joint. I get that it's traditional and it's the way it's always been made, but seriously fender can't you have just one strat with a decent neck joint?
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #36
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Ibanez. The necks are so thin they cripple my hands and I can't play one for more than about thirty or forty seconds before the pain becomes too much, but I love their proprietary bridges and the feel of some of their body designs.

Explorers, Firebirds, SGs and Vs, they all look so great for playing chunky rhythm on, but I can't put up with the balance problems. I know there's fixes for it, drilling new strap button holes, buying double-wide straps and all that, but I can't be bothered. That stuff is no use when I'm changing guitars every song and want to keep the same strap and position.

Strats, because the volume control is in the worst position possible and the jack plate is a pain. Shame, because I love the tone and features. I just wish Leo Fender had put more time into the design of his guitars as practical instruments, rather than knocking them together to be as quick to produce as possible.

All big jazzboxes, archtops and dreadnought acoustics. I'm not a big guy, I physically can not reach around (hoho!) them to play 'em properly, so out they go.

I'm basically stuck with the thickest necks, the most basic controls and the smallest, simplest bodies. If it's not an early-50s style Telecaster, I can't play it. Shame, because there are so many other guitars I would love to be able to use.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #37
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Most Teles that I played, the neck usually feels awkward on them. The sound and looks of them are amazing, but the necks, for the most part, are unbearably awkward.

On Strats (and copies), the Volume knob is in the weirdest place. I have to move my hand up a bit since it's in the way. That's why I'm going to make my own pickguard for my Kramer Focus. I want the Volume moved and I want a single tone knob.

Also, why is there all of the Les Paul hate? Out of the few Epi and Gibson Les Pauls I've played, I didn't mind the neck. I actually find them comfortable to play, and they aren't that heavy (well, to me). Now, I can't really say about Gibson's pickups since I haven't tried them out sice I put Seymour Duncans in my Epi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
Ibanez Iceman. I grew up looking at them thinking "one day... one day I will own one". Then I played a few and was just like... no.

Dissapoint

From the Iceman that I played, I loved the feel of it. The neck on it feels much better than other Ibanez guitars that I played. I also want to try out a Fireman and see how I like that.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #38
AcidParadox

Strats. As much as I hate to say it, as my only electric guitar is one, but I've realized that it just can't support my playing style (rhythm, but it feels good for leads), and it can't give me the sound I want. From testing trials at GC, I've realized that Les Pauls would really be ideal (plus I've realized that the only one of my guitar idols that plays a Strat is Jimi Hendrix, but he's my 1# and the reason I bought one). But, I can't play LPs, the neck is just way too big, or my hands are just way too small. So, I'm going to try to find some compromise in preparing for my next electric guitar purchase.

Also, Ibanezes. I like the vibe of Ibanez guitars, they're more than shredders. But the necks, way too flat. I like more of a Fender curved but narrow feel.
AcidParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #39
kharn_tb

I admit that as much as I like SGs I cannot play an Epi or Gibson one, I just can't stand the neck. I just don't like Gibson necks, I was offered a great deal on a Gibson SG a few months back (a small store that deals only in used guitars and more in band instruments then guitars it had been severely marked down). I just did not like the neck at all, though a LTD viper might be in my future.

I love Fender products as well, especially teles but will never buy a strat because I don't like trem systems. I've watched enough videos that I can work with them (locking and non), just I don't like them and prefer a hard tail and as such I will most likely never get a strat although they are great and versatile guitars.

I don't get all the explorer dislike I had an EX 50 and found it profoundly simple to sit with, I even got my step daughter to hold it as joke picture. Now if the cat hadn't of had enjoyed rubbing the pointy end so much.

Last edited by kharn_tb : 11-25-2012 at 04:19 PM.
kharn_tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #40
Ippon
Amped

I have no issues with any of the guitars mentioned so far and I'd use any of them.

Rate This Thread: