Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #41
Viban
UG's resident bum

Beautiful acoustics with dead frets.

I've go a few friends who's guitars are absolutely gorgeous, but they have so many dead frets, right around where I like to play.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #42
Glenn Guitar

PRS guitars.

I don't get along with them as well as i would want to. They look lovely but, i just don't really enjoy em like i should
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
Glenn Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #43
jojoel10
JOEL

I love the sound and look of PRS guitars but I hate the way they feel, specially the neck.
jojoel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #44
AWACS
Lord Steward

I love my PRS, but I wish it had a satin/tung-oil/"bare" finish on the neck. The neck's a little bit slow for me, but I love it.

Every guitar that doesn't stay in tune for how long I want it to. I'm OCD about tuning. If I play it for 8 hours straight, and it falls out of tune --I'm frustrated. Don't play it for a few days-a week -- whatever. I really want to try a guitar with an Evertune system in it

Mesa Boogie Mark V '12 PRS SE CU24Blackstar HTV-212
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle Digitech Bad Monkey TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic TCE Ditto
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #45
dimeNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
I have no issues with any of the guitars mentioned so far and I'd use any of them.

True, as my friend says (and I don't say this to offend anyone, but think about it):

There are no bad guitars, there are only bad guitarists.
dimeNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #46
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeNG
True, as my friend says (and I don't say this to offend anyone, but think about it):

There are no bad guitars, there are only bad guitarists.

I call complete bullshit. Some people get alone great with any guitar. Some people are very picky/temperamental. That's totally a genetic thing, no one's fault.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #47
dimeNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I call complete bullshit. Some people get alone great with any guitar. Some people are very picky/temperamental. That's totally a genetic thing, no one's fault.

Yeah, that's true, but the point of this thread is that you would like a guitar if only one minor thing would be different.

I don't know but for me, I can adapt to a slightly bigger neck, or a slightly heavier guitar if I really like it. Don't get me wrong, I definitely do not like Ibanez RGs as a whole, but if I really liked how they sounded, and only the neck was an issue, I would try and play it more and get used to it.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #48
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I don't believe in doing that. There's a ton of aftermarket pickups - kind of a slap in the face of pickup manufacturers to force yourself to like an uncomfortable guitar rather than try out different pups in a guitar you do find comfortable to get a sound you love.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #49
dimeNG

Quote:
I don't believe in doing that. There's a ton of aftermarket pickups - kind of a slap in the face of pickup manufacturers to force yourself to like an uncomfortable guitar rather than try out different pups in a guitar you do find comfortable to get a sound you love.

How would you make a strat or a tele sound like a LP by changing the pick up?

IMO, if you really like how a guitar sounds and looks, you should try and adapt to it. I mean, when we all started we had to adapt to play a guitar, right? Now I know everybody has a preference, and when choosing a guitar would be a little biased towards their preferences, but if you're really in love with the sound and looks.. why not try and play the thing for a couple of weeks and you'll see that you'll learn to love the neck too for example.

This is just my opinion, and I do not think that everybody should do this, just to be clear. Different strokes for different folks as they say, right?

EDIT: And I forgot to add, if its a medical injury or something making it difficult to play the guitar, then yeah, I get swapping pickups and all that.

Last edited by dimeNG : 11-26-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #50
Spaztikko

Gibsons.

They're just meh, you know?

Honestly if fender made a 24 fret strat with appropriate access I would be so happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #51
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeNG
How would you make a strat or a tele sound like a LP by changing the pick up?

IMO, if you really like how a guitar sounds and looks, you should try and adapt to it. I mean, when we all started we had to adapt to play a guitar, right? Now I know everybody has a preference, and when choosing a guitar would be a little biased towards their preferences, but if you're really in love with the sound and looks.. why not try and play the thing for a couple of weeks and you'll see that you'll learn to love the neck too for example.

This is just my opinion, and I do not think that everybody should do this, just to be clear. Different strokes for different folks as they say, right?

EDIT: And I forgot to add, if its a medical injury or something making it difficult to play the guitar, then yeah, I get swapping pickups and all that.

You can't. But that's really extreme. And there is a large middle ground. Lots of LP lookalikes with lots of contours for comfort. Also there's some LPs made out of Alder and Maple and what not, so you can get closer to a Strat by putting single coils in that. No, it will not sound like a Strat, but... it'll get closer.

Different strokes.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #52
hminh87
Justin here!

It seems my hands can only be compatible with a particular neck profile. I love the look and satin feel of a Gibson Les Paul Traditional but the neck doesn't seem to agree with me.

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #53
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Quote:

So you are saying the people complaining are genetically inferior?

Anyway OT I can't think of anything I don't like that with a minor change would turn into something I love. The only thing I wouldn't buy is a hollow body. I also don't like dot inlays on anything other than maple, both purely for aesthetic reasons.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #54
A Tout Le Monde

ES series guitars, they look so beautiful and sound great too, but their size makes it difficult for me to play them due to my wonky forearm : arm :shoulder ratio.
A Tout Le Monde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #55
Skysc

Would have loved a Gibsons les paul studio white ... but hate the neck cause they put the 50's round neck on it . and even if it were the slim taper , its still not as slim as my Agile slim .

i have 3 Agile 3xxx slim ... couldnt be happier .

if it wasnt of the neck .. would have probably bought a gibson .

i have small hands and the agile slim is the fisrt guitar i really felt confortable on .. that i can play with my thumb over .

im selling my fender strat u,s,a cause i cant play it anymore .

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim

Last edited by Skysc : 11-26-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Skysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #56
Spaztikko

I don't like les pauls because they are unweidly as ****.

Boom.

Actually, I'm starting to hate strats because of fret access isn't good for br00tz.

Quote:
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
Old 11-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #57
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

I may get mad hate for this, but I absolutely was disgusted with the two petrucci EBMMs I played. the necks were just all wrong for me, I did not like them at all. I really want to like that guitar, it is a sweet axe with some awesome features regardless of the model, but it ain't happening.

Gear:
Randall RM100 (Recto and XTC modules)
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #58
Spaztikko

mad hate.

Quote:

Banging ur mum
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #59
azrael4h

I used to not like Les Pauls. Partially this is because about 80% of my influences and idols used a Fender Stratocaster almost exclusively, but also, I never could find a LP, Epi or Gibson, that I liked the feel of the neck.

Even when I finally bought my Epi LP, I walked around and picked up 8 other ones, and hated every one. Including a $2500 Gibson. For some reason, my LP's neck felt right, and was far easier to play, than any of the others. Including two other Epi LPs which were basically the same guitar!

I've also never found a Telecaster that I've liked, for much the same reason. I'll admit I've not tried many though.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #60
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Maybe this thread should be called, necks we hate and shapes we love.

I also love the strat sound and shape, but I can never seem to get them to dial in the tone I like. Its either to glassy, or hums way to loud.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: