Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
humphert

Just bought a guitar online. Wondering if it looks okay (should have come here first)

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Yamaha Pacifica (I think it's a 112) and am wondering if it looks okay. It was an auction, and I got it for $80 (incl. shipping). I haven't had a chance to play or touch it. I purchased by sight.

Any obvious red flags by the photos? I know there is a scratch on the front left, but have been told it's just a scratch (not a crack)

Also, The thing that sort of gets to me, is that the vibrato looks oxidized (possibly dusty)?

Wondering if this is something that is an issue, is possibly an issue, is something that can be fixed at home, something that has to be replaced, or something not to worry about.

But yeah, I'm pretty excited to get this thing!

Thanks for taking time!

http://imgur.com/a/dVSak

-GM

Last edited by humphert : 06-02-2014 at 07:30 PM.
humphert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
luis.antonio.58

It's really hard to tell by the pics if the guitar is in good condition or not. I just sold a very old, rusty and scratched Squier strat for like $120 that (according to the buyer) still had an excellent sound.

The guitar looks in good condition to me, hopefully it is.

Have fun with it!

-LA
luis.antonio.58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
humphert

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for taking the time to look!

-H
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

if the hardware is mildly oxidated, use a little bit of #0000 steel wool on it. it is literally so fine it can clean glass and not scratch it.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
humphert

I will absolutely keep that in mind when it arrives. Thanks! Getting very excited to for this to arrive.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
NigeP

A picifica is a nice axe, seen loads of good players start on these. I was looking at one myself but the Aria won Picifica's have a really nice clean tone, hope you get a good one.
NigeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
JustRooster
Organ Donor

The Pacifica is probably my favorite guitar-in-a-box. It's nothing special, but it's playable. It'll be just fine to learn on. Happy playing, and practice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Love is blind, and probably missing a few other sense, too.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
humphert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
The Pacifica is probably my favorite guitar-in-a-box. It's nothing special, but it's playable. It'll be just fine to learn on. Happy playing, and practice!

Thanks! Looking very forward to having two single coils as well as the humbucker to play with. My current guitar is a "Gibson" Maestro, which only has the single humbucker. Not the best guitar, but has done me well the past year.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
krm27

That's fine for $80. I love Yamahas. I bought a 25 year old Pacifica 712 for about $200 a few weeks ago, and it is a beast. Now, the 712 is a higher level than the 112, but you might not notice the differences if you're just learning.

What happens is, you buy a cheap guitar to learn, and it sounds fine to you because your ear sucks at hearing nuances in tone. But the more you play, the better your ear will become. Pretty soon, you'll start to notice things you didn't before, like maybe some fret buzz, or maybe it the guitar seems to be always a bit out of tune, or the pickups seem a bit weak for the tone you are seeking... And you may notice if you pick up another guitar that it seems easier to play, you like the frets better, or the neck width or whatever. You grow to learn what you want, what you like, as your ears and your hands get trained.

That leads you on a quest for a better axe (well, you can get a set up and mod your guitar and fix some issues, but may be easiest to get new guitar). That quest can lead you to waste a lot of time on the internet doing research. That's what happened to me. Hundreds of hours down the drain reading about different guitars, their strengths/weaknesses, etc. Well, I learned a lot, so I guess it's not all down the drain, but if i had it to do over, I'd do this: When you are noticing stuff about your guitar you don't like, that's bugging you, that you cannot fix with a basic string change or set up or whatever, go to a guitar store or pawn shop, anywhere with a lot of guitars. And then start playing them, the more the better, give yourself a couple hours at least. You'll rule some out right away for one reason or another, some you might be iffy on, and some will feel really good. Ultimately, one will feel / sound "best" to you, the weight, the heft, the look, the balance, the frets, the control knobs, the tone from pickups, whether it has a whammy, etc. And then you buy it. Regardless what the headstock says, what make/model it is.

After "researching" and buying 5 guitars based on research, and not being happy with them, I finally did it the right way, went to a store, played nearly every guitar there, and found a guitar that blows away all my others, and it was pretty cheap, but I'd rather play it than guitars that cost 5 times as much.

But you don't have the ear or touch for that till you have played and learned a bit, so what you did was fine.

Ken
krm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
AngryHatter
Position Player

Looks great.
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
humphert

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm27
That's fine for $80. I love Yamahas. I bought a 25 year old Pacifica 712 for about $200 a few weeks ago, and it is a beast. Now, the 712 is a higher level than the 112, but you might not notice the differences if you're just learning.

What happens is, you buy a cheap guitar to learn, and it sounds fine to you because your ear sucks at hearing nuances in tone. But the more you play, the better your ear will become. Pretty soon, you'll start to notice things you didn't before, like maybe some fret buzz, or maybe it the guitar seems to be always a bit out of tune, or the pickups seem a bit weak for the tone you are seeking... And you may notice if you pick up another guitar that it seems easier to play, you like the frets better, or the neck width or whatever. You grow to learn what you want, what you like, as your ears and your hands get trained.

That leads you on a quest for a better axe (well, you can get a set up and mod your guitar and fix some issues, but may be easiest to get new guitar). That quest can lead you to waste a lot of time on the internet doing research. That's what happened to me. Hundreds of hours down the drain reading about different guitars, their strengths/weaknesses, etc. Well, I learned a lot, so I guess it's not all down the drain, but if i had it to do over, I'd do this: When you are noticing stuff about your guitar you don't like, that's bugging you, that you cannot fix with a basic string change or set up or whatever, go to a guitar store or pawn shop, anywhere with a lot of guitars. And then start playing them, the more the better, give yourself a couple hours at least. You'll rule some out right away for one reason or another, some you might be iffy on, and some will feel really good. Ultimately, one will feel / sound "best" to you, the weight, the heft, the look, the balance, the frets, the control knobs, the tone from pickups, whether it has a whammy, etc. And then you buy it. Regardless what the headstock says, what make/model it is.

After "researching" and buying 5 guitars based on research, and not being happy with them, I finally did it the right way, went to a store, played nearly every guitar there, and found a guitar that blows away all my others, and it was pretty cheap, but I'd rather play it than guitars that cost 5 times as much.

But you don't have the ear or touch for that till you have played and learned a bit, so what you did was fine.

Ken

Thanks for that well thought-out and informative response. I'm beginning to see these things in my current guitar (Maestro by "Gibson" - a Best Buy purchase...a purchase I have loved for a year, btw) and now want to upgrade to something better, but doesn't break the bank. Once I start working more consistently, I'll start putting real money into a guitar that I'll keep for a lifetime. When that day comes, you can bet that I'm going to remember this thread. At the moment, I want an upgrade, but can't rationalize spending several hundred on a guitar (when I'm using it primarily for Rocksmith!)

Again, thank you. I'll definitely take that advice and start trying guitar after guitar until I find the one that finds me.

-H

Last edited by humphert : 06-03-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
humphert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryHatter
Looks great.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #13
kado.brown.18

looks nice for the price, cant beat it. the saddles look alittle oxidized (bound to happen eventually) the steel wool idea sounds like the best advice..Enjoy your new guitar!
kado.brown.18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
humphert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kado.brown.18
looks nice for the price, cant beat it. the saddles look alittle oxidized (bound to happen eventually) the steel wool idea sounds like the best advice..Enjoy your new guitar!

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphert
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Yamaha Pacifica (I think it's a 112) and am wondering if it looks okay. It was an auction, and I got it for $80 (incl. shipping). I haven't had a chance to play or touch it. I purchased by sight.

Any obvious red flags by the photos? I know there is a scratch on the front left, but have been told it's just a scratch (not a crack)

Also, The thing that sort of gets to me, is that the vibrato looks oxidized (possibly dusty)?

Wondering if this is something that is an issue, is possibly an issue, is something that can be fixed at home, something that has to be replaced, or something not to worry about.

But yeah, I'm pretty excited to get this thing!

Thanks for taking time!

http://imgur.com/a/dVSak

-GM

An $80 guitar with shipping...you got what you paid for.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

hard to tell from the pics but it looks not too bad (apart from slight tarnishing of the tuners), and I'm guessing for $80 it'll be hard to go too far wrong...

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
humphert

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverb66
An $80 guitar with shipping...you got what you paid for.

I'm hoping it's better than the $60 guitar I got new from Best Buy.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #18
humphert

Thanks everyone!

So, I ended up finding an almost new (still had the plastic on) 112V on craigslist last night ($100), and I purchased it today. I don't love the color as much, but it's an upgrade (better pickups) and brand new vs. ten years old and scratched/iodized).

SO, I still have to wait for this guitar to arrive. I'll probably string it up and test it, but will likely be trying to sell it myself now, haha. But who knows? Maybe I'll keep 'em both!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #19
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphert
Thanks everyone!

So, I ended up finding an almost new (still had the plastic on) 112V on craigslist last night ($100), and I purchased it today. I don't love the color as much, but it's an upgrade (better pickups) and brand new vs. ten years old and scratched/iodized).

SO, I still have to wait for this guitar to arrive. I'll probably string it up and test it, but will likely be trying to sell it myself now, haha. But who knows? Maybe I'll keep 'em both!

keep both. you got them cheap enough that if they can stay in tune well, and play well, they are likely worth more to you than the $80-$100 you could get.

one good reason is that if you wanted to use different tunings, you could do that. have on in E and the other droptuned, or open tuned if you want to play slide.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #20
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah

if you have some other more important purchase (whether guitar- related or not) where the $80-$100 could come in handy, then that's different. But if not, as trashed says, they're probably worth more to you than you'll get for them...

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: