Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
humphert

Is this Pacifica a forgery?

I found this guitar online for $100 (used)

I notice that there is no "Yamaha" stamped onto the headstock. Buyer claims he got it from musiciansfriend.com

Is it a fake?

Thanks.

http://imgur.com/Pyma2cp
humphert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
I K0nijn I

There's always just Pacifica on the headstock, IIRC.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
bobafettacheese

Not too knowledgeable about the Pacifica in general, but I'm willing to believe it would, cost just as much to fake it as it would to buy it new. They aren't too expensive IIRC. Looks legit to me.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
dspellman

Who in the world would fake a guitar that cheap?
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
PSimonR
PSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman

The Chinese, they'll fake anything.

With Pacifica and Yamaha written on it it goes for maybe $200, without $100 and is far less obvious than trying to fake a Fender.

The guitar in your picture looks a bit wrong to me. Perhaps we could see some more close up pictures. On the back, near the strap pin, should be a sticker saying made in Indonesia to Yamaha spec and a serial number should be stamped in the back of headstock.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/

Last edited by PSimonR : 06-08-2014 at 11:25 AM.
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
humphert

I'm hoping to get a better picture. My worry is that he spent $300 on a fake, and is now trying to get rid of it for cheap.

This is a craigslist ad.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah we need better pics. if in doubt, walk away, that's my motto.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #8
humphert

Thanks! I bought it and it's great!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
cheesefries
High Five!

Quote:

You can sadly buy fake Fender Squiers now.

Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960b (V30/G12T75)

PolyTune, EH Small Stone, MXR Wylde OD, Boss DD3
cheesefries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #10
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefries

shit. fender has put out so many damn different series out there of guitars from modern player to classic player to baja to blacktop to USAdlx to USAdlx plus another dozen it would seem. they are so different a fake could easily slip through.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #11
cheesefries
High Five!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
shit. fender has put out so many damn different series out there of guitars from modern player to classic player to baja to blacktop to USAdlx to USAdlx plus another dozen it would seem. they are so different a fake could easily slip through.

I've thought about it a lot and think... out of everyone buying used...30% of people probably got burned off fakes and may of them still have no idea they even own a fake. There are SO MANY OF THEM OUT THERE! And the fakes are getting so much better. A buddy of mine in a local band bought a 2014 Chibson Custom and it's obvious the Chinese have been working bettering the fakes. I think Gibson's recent decision to manufacture Epiphones there just trained them better.The headstock actually looks legit on this one along with the inlays. The pickups and electronics are standard Epiphone stuff. The bridge/tailpiece look to be stock epiphone parts. A beginner not knowing what to look for can easily think it's the real deal looking over it real quick.

There is probably a rat in the Chinese Epiphone factory making extra money on the side making these. I emailed Gibson about it months ago and they just called me a lier. Oh well. Scary stuff guys. Do your homework.

The (almost) sure fire method of telling a fake is to take the truss rod cover off if it has one and see how clean or nasty it is finished underneath. I've never seen a Chinese copy finished clean there. Most still have tape over the adjustment screw.

Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960b (V30/G12T75)

PolyTune, EH Small Stone, MXR Wylde OD, Boss DD3

Last edited by cheesefries : 06-09-2014 at 01:15 AM.
cheesefries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:23 AM   #12
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Quote:

This question is actually the very reason that fake Epiphones/Squires/other budget brands exist in the first place.

It's a reverse psychology tactic. Most people would never question if they're genuine or not, because in their minds faking a cheap brand makes no sense. That makes them great guitars to fake because most people would give the cheap guitar the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 06-09-2014 at 01:25 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
I've thought about it a lot and think... out of everyone buying used...30% of people probably got burned off fakes and may of them still have no idea they even own a fake. There are SO MANY OF THEM OUT THERE! And the fakes are getting so much better. A buddy of mine in a local band bought a 2014 Chibson Custom and it's obvious the Chinese have been working bettering the fakes. I think Gibson's recent decision to manufacture Epiphones there just trained them better.The headstock actually looks legit on this one along with the inlays. The pickups and electronics are standard Epiphone stuff. The bridge/tailpiece look to be stock epiphone parts. A beginner not knowing what to look for can easily think it's the real deal looking over it real quick.

There is probably a rat in the Chinese Epiphone factory making extra money on the side making these. I emailed Gibson about it months ago and they just called me a lier. Oh well. Scary stuff guys. Do your homework.

The (almost) sure fire method of telling a fake is to take the truss rod cover off if it has one and see how clean or nasty it is finished underneath. I've never seen a Chinese copy finished clean there. Most still have tape over the adjustment screw.

i know a lot about certain guitars (ones i have interest in or own several of), i don't think a fake ibanez Prestige could get past me.

tele's i am not sure enough, so thats why i go from reverb.com or GAF, they know what they are doing and buying and dealing with. i don't think i will ever buy another guitar that comes from ebay or anything like that. i don't trust GC's used (with good reason, it took hours to resolve and i opened it in store). i wont get into that. their employees who tag those guitars don't know shit.

sweetwater i would tend to trust more, but i don't like dealing with people on commission and are pushy. i had one say "well i have to feed my family" i said "unless you can do this at $XXXX i think they might. he says "i can't do that," i said "go to the food shelf" and hung up the guy was just so nasty. i ordered from a different guy (dialed again) and he gave me the price i wanted. and two weeks later i get a call from the first guy literally swearing at me because i was "his customer" so i called corporate.

and it gets annoying because a get a call from them every few months to "check on me" and i list all of the things i bought elsewhere.

i am always polite and respectful to anybody though.
but i do push a bit.

i am sure every guitar i buy that is over $1k it will be new from a reputable site (MF, M123, zzounds, american musical supply) IF i ever buy new and it would have to be at least a 15% off or more type thing.

if used, i will go with reverb gaf elderly, and some of the other places like that.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 06-09-2014 at 01:34 AM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Quote:

This amuses me, China making fake copies of Chinese made guitars...

With the Epiphone/Gibson forgeries, theres still a few things to look for, most have a scarf joint still, though many don't. I still havent come across one with the proper bridge... If many of these aren't coming out the back door of the Epi affiliated factories then Id be mighty surprised.
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Squire 20th Anniversary Strat
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon

Last edited by dazza027 : 06-09-2014 at 08:31 AM.
dazza027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #15
sinofian
Who? Me??!?

FWIW, the pic in the OP clearly shows the Yamaha logo at the end of the headstock.

sinofian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #16
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinofian
FWIW, the pic in the OP clearly shows the Yamaha logo at the end of the headstock.

So? Fake Gibsons have the Gibson logo on them.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
sinofian
Who? Me??!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
So? Fake Gibsons have the Gibson logo on them.

OP mentioned something about it not having 'Yamaha' emblazoned across the headstock.

Shouldn't you be off stopping an intergalactic highway from being built or something, Zaphod?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #18
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
OP mentioned something about it not having 'Yamaha' emblazoned across the headstock.

I really need to stop posting from work

Quote:
Shouldn't you be off stopping an intergalactic highway from being built or something, Zaphod?

No way dude, drinks to mix! Pan Galactic Gargle Basters for all!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #19
sinofian
Who? Me??!?

Rate This Thread: